Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

android app fir cycling recommendations?

Can anyone recommend a good android app for tracking cycling, speed distance etc.?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

gonedownhill | 7 years ago
1 like

OSMAND is a good navigation tool - downloads open source maps to your phone (they are quite but files mind) so that you don't  need 4G signal to load them when out in the countryside. Can also load a route via a .GPX file which you can create beforehand in Strava or Garmin connect and get it to give you turn by turn instructions.

SHAUNAM replied to gonedownhill | 7 years ago
0 likes

gonedownhill wrote:

OSMAND is a good navigation tool - downloads open source maps to your phone (they are quite but files mind) so that you don't  need 4G signal to load them when out in the countryside. Can also load a route via a .GPX file which you can create beforehand in Strava or Garmin connect and get it to give you turn by turn instructions.

Thanks gonedownhill  1

I like the idea of the open source maps, especially as I have limited data allowance on my phone so it would be very useful to be able to download the maps first.

gonedownhill replied to SHAUNAM | 7 years ago
1 like

SHAUNAM wrote:

gonedownhill wrote:

Thanks gonedownhill  1

I like the idea of the open source maps, especially as I have limited data allowance on my phone so it would be very useful to be able to download the maps first.

Much better than waiting for google maps  to load for those of us with a poor sense of direction and it will work where there is no reception at all - I got my location on OsmAnd whilst on Rum in the small isles in Scotland. Isn't the most user friendly app though I must say. 

GPS still works with mobile data switched off btw - if you go out into the sticks where there is no signal it phones tend to use a fair bit of battery up just constantly hunting for a signal in my experience.

hsiaolc | 7 years ago
1 like

IPBIKE

ClubSmed | 7 years ago
1 like

It completely depends on what sort of thing you want but as a rough guide-

App to compare yourself against others:
Strava" is great if you are wanting to just track your rides with basics (you can go premium for extras if you like) and compare yourself with others.

App as an alternative to Garmin?:
"BikeComputer Pro" looks good and has a lot of options.
I have purchased this myself as I enjoyed a quick ride with the free version but have to admit that I have not managed to use the pro version yet (or either version in anger) as my phone has now died.

Other great android apps for cycling but not tracking include:

Great to have cycle aids:
"First Aid for Cyclists" by St Johns Ambulance looks good, I have this downloaded but have been fortunate enough to not have used it in anger yet but given who does it I would be very surprised if it is not effective.

"Bike Repair" is a good maintenance guide if you are struck out in the middle of nowhere with and issue.
                                   Alternatively
"Kindle" paired with any of the very decent bike maintenance ebooks will do the job too and you can add a few other books to relax with on your coffee stop  3

SHAUNAM replied to ClubSmed | 7 years ago
0 likes

ClubSmed wrote:

It completely depends on what sort of thing you want but as a rough guide-

App to compare yourself against others:
Strava" is great if you are wanting to just track your rides with basics (you can go premium for extras if you like) and compare yourself with others.

App as an alternative to Garmin?:
"BikeComputer Pro" looks good and has a lot of options.
I have purchased this myself as I enjoyed a quick ride with the free version but have to admit that I have not managed to use the pro version yet (or either version in anger) as my phone has now died.

Other great android apps for cycling but not tracking include:

Great to have cycle aids:
"First Aid for Cyclists" by St Johns Ambulance looks good, I have this downloaded but have been fortunate enough to not have used it in anger yet but given who does it I would be very surprised if it is not effective.

"Bike Repair" is a good maintenance guide if you are struck out in the middle of nowhere with and issue.
                                   Alternatively
"Kindle" paired with any of the very decent bike maintenance ebooks will do the job too and you can add a few other books to relax with on your coffee stop  3

Thanks ClubSmed

I was really only looking for something to track my rides, with maps, distance etc.  But you have got me thinking now about other apps for cyclists that aren't for tracking, especially the St. John's ambulance one!!.  I will have a look at some of these.  I have a kindle already  1  Wouldn't be without it!  1 

Thanks for the suggestions

MrB123 | 7 years ago
2 likes

Strava?

Latest Comments