Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

New brake pads

Hi,

My brake pads are pretty much down to the backings and in need of replacement.

Any recommendations before I get another set of stock Shimano ones? I keep hearing about Swiss Stop pads.

For use on commuting bike, so aluminium rims in all weathers.

Ideally I want just the cartridges to fit Shimano brakes.

Thanks,

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

14 comments

madcarew | 7 years ago
0 likes

I have DA 7900 brakes and find the DA brakepads really really good. I have tried some black swiss stop and another barand I can't remember. Neither had the initial bite or total grab of the DA's

beezus fufoon replied to madcarew | 7 years ago
0 likes

madcarew wrote:

I have DA 7900 brakes and find the DA brakepads really really good. I have tried some black swiss stop and another barand I can't remember. Neither had the initial bite or total grab of the DA's

sounds like it's a compromise between rim wear and pad wear 

Jharrison5 | 7 years ago
0 likes

Also, +1 for discobrakes as a retailer.

Jharrison5 | 7 years ago
0 likes

Swisstops are really worth it but I've only ever used them on my fair weather race bike. I have not needed to replace my Swisstop yellows in 8 years of occasional use on carbon and aluminium rims.

drosco | 7 years ago
0 likes

I used discobrakes on the Marmotte. Dirt cheap, did the job just fine. Are swisstop's really worth it?

VeloUSA | 7 years ago
0 likes

Same here on the BXP's. Great pads, grippy in wet & dry and long lasting.

Rapha Nadal | 7 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the heads up on the BXP's!

Bowks | 7 years ago
0 likes

I use the Swissstop BXP formula pads, which I feel stop better than the greens in all conditions. I'm commuting in all weathers on alu rims too.

Rapha Nadal | 7 years ago
0 likes

Might give those Koolstops a go as the green swissstop pads I had were bloody awful.

LastBoyScout | 7 years ago
0 likes

SwissStop green seem to be out of stock everywhere for Shimano, so looks like I'll be trying the KoolStop salmons...

Yorkshie Whippet | 7 years ago
0 likes

I use Discobrakes red pads and prefer them over SwissStops. They are quite soft and wear relatively quickly but are very cheap if you buy in 4s or 8s. 

mostly | 7 years ago
0 likes

I've just switched to salmons from greens (on the rear) the swissstops greens seemed to wear very quicky. Cant say theres much difference between greens/blue or salmon the one advantage is that I've found less rim 'debris' in the pads compared to shimano.

ktache | 7 years ago
0 likes

I like the Swissstop greens, exceptional in the wet, far better than Koolstop (for me RItchie) reds, but wished I'd known about the salmons long ago.  Your choice probably will come down to Swissstops green and Koolstop salmons, lovers of in both camps and internet discussions, but very few people have seemingly used both and compare directly the two.

graybags | 7 years ago
0 likes

I'd thoroughly recommend Koolstop Salmon, these ones, particulars for winter riding, great in the wet on aluminium rims.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/kool-stop-dura-aceultegra105-pair-of-cartridge-i...

Latest Comments