Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Sensors for training

I'm interested in getting some sensors (speed, cadence, hrm) to encourage me to use a turbo trainer as I try to regain some fitness. I've never used sensors before and am looking for advice and recommendations.

So far in my research I think I've gained an understanding of how they work and how to use them. I've also found that Garmin and Wahoo seem to be the most popular.

What I'd like to know is:

Do I need a head unit to use sensors or will an android tablet/phone be adequate?

Which sensors would you recommend and why?

Thanks

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

TheFatAndTheFurious | 7 years ago
0 likes

The Samsung Galaxy A5 phone supports both Bluetooth and ANT+. The Android Strava app on that phone paired up with an old Garmin HRM strap and an Edge speed/cadence sensor without issue.

The only problem with that setup is that the "speed" aspect of that sensor isn't actually "speed" - it's just wheel RPM. You either program the head unit with your wheel diameter to get speed, or, in the case of a Garmin Edge, let it work it out for itself based on how far you actually go for a given number of turns of the wheel.

As for sensor recommendations, I recommend _not_ using the Garmin Soft Strap premium monitor - I had two degrade on me quite suddenly after about 8 months use each. I got a replacement from Garmin both times, but the third one is still in the box and I use the older plastic-strap version without issue.

CXR94Di2 | 7 years ago
0 likes

Funny, my Garmin HRM lasted well over 2 years, so I thought I would try the Tickr, it failed after a month.  Its going back for another try

davel | 7 years ago
0 likes

I've had 2 of the Garmin premium HRMs and they're a PITA - piddly little screws that are made of putty, and when I've actually got batteries back in it won't send a signal. Many complaints about failing contacts. Avoid.

Wahoo Tickr seems OK so far.

CXR94Di2 | 7 years ago
0 likes

Most of the Android stuff has the capability to use Ant+. Check the spec of your tablet

renMike | 7 years ago
0 likes

So, I've now read a bit more on Trainer road and my turbo is supported for virtual power. This means I just need a speed sensor, which if I'm using an Android tablet as the head then it'll have to be the Wahoo sensor (unless I also get an ANT+ dongle).

Anyone know if the BLE on Android will cope with multiple sensors?

Alternatively, would anyone recommend the Wahoo Elemnt bundle?

renMike | 7 years ago
0 likes

I've acquired an Elite Crono mag/fluid trainer from a mate to help my recovery. It has no power or sensory capabilities.
So, if I got some Wahoo sensors I could hook them up to an Android tablet (it has BLE) and record the data on to something like Strava or Trainer Road ?

CXR94Di2 replied to renMike | 7 years ago
0 likes

renMike wrote:

I've acquired an Elite Crono mag/fluid trainer from a mate to help my recovery. It has no power or sensory capabilities. So, if I got some Wahoo sensors I could hook them up to an Android tablet (it has BLE) and record the data on to something like Strava or Trainer Road ?

So cadence/speed sensor and heart rate linked to Android with Trainerroad-yes   Trainerroad is power based, but has a virtual mode to simulate power level.  This is some text pulled from their help page

How VirtualPower Works

VirtualPower allows riders to derive power readings without a power meter. Each trainer make and model has a unique speed-to-power ratio (also referred to as the trainer's "power curve").

TrainerRoad takes speed readings from a rider's speed sensor and uses those speed readings to calculate VirtualPower based on the trainer's power curve. We'll use a fictional trainer ("Trainer X") as a hypothetical example to explain this further. It takes 20 miles per hour to output 250 watts, 21 miles per hour to output 255 and so on and so forth on "Trainer X".

TrainerRoad will be able to calculate your VirtualPower as long as you have a speed sensor connected and the make/model of your trainer input in our software. TrainerRoad has power curves for most trainers currently in production. Additionally, we do our best to add the power curves of new trainers that arrive on the market.

CXR94Di2 | 7 years ago
0 likes

If using a decent turbo, it will have power and speed, some have cadence aswell.

list of sensors

Heart strap Sensor- monitor heart rate and can use zones to train at certain intensities

Cadence- speed of pedal rotation, learn to spin instead of grinding low cadence,  typically 85-95 rpm is spinning, higher if you can.  gives much better endurance.

Power- how hard you're pushing the pedals in conjuction with how fast pedals are turning.  Good accurate way to train with power zones(not affected like heart rate zones, illness/tiredness/heat)

Speed- obvious how fast you travel.  Fitter you get faster you become.

Android with Ant+ built in should work with all sensors.  Traineroad, Bkool work on Android

I mainly train with power zones on my Kickr, whilst holding high cadence around 95rpm

Man of Lard | 7 years ago
0 likes

If you're connecting to a tablet/phone you want Bluetooth sensors. (Garmin sensors use a different protocol called ANT+ - Wahoo are bilingual and do both Bluetooth & ANT+)

No need for a head unit if you're doing the phone/tablet thing.

Latest Comments