Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Well thats another good start to the year!!!!

Went out bank holiday Monday and came off on black ice. Managed to get a spiral fracture in Fib or Tib (the larger one) and a straight snap of the other. After a few days in hospital at Broomfield (Chelmsford) who I must say were exceptional and really could not big them up enough, I now find myself I plaster for 6 weeks with a plate covering the spiral fracture. 

As I'm guessing this is relatively common in cycling as I was clipped in, I'm guessing there's a fair few out there who have done it as well. So... what delights have I got in store and any tips for getting up and flying asap. Had just had a couple of busy months so had dropped fitness and was just getting back on track so mighty miffed over that.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

antonio | 7 years ago
0 likes

Turbo gurus reckon one legged pedal drills are excellent, but then again they don't have a broken leg. Take heart, it will get better, you will return to fitness, you will be a little wiser, good luck.

Yorkshire wallet | 7 years ago
0 likes

I can't offer any sort of medical advice for you, but chin up fella, you'll get back on it at some point. As has already been mentioned I wouldn't do anything without a bit of advice first, though the turbo is great motivation for recovery at your own pace.  

Mapleford | 7 years ago
0 likes

I'd agree it was deff a black day for cycling, bloke before me into X-ray was a cyclist as well. Seriously don't think I'll be doing much foe a while. Thank God for the Bike channel and youtube, Just wish I'd done it at the start of one of the grand tours.

sergius | 7 years ago
0 likes

That sucks, get well soon.

It seems that Monday was fairly lethal, I'm feeling fairly lucky that I'll be back on the bike in a week or so at the current rate my wrists are progressing.

I'd think with a leg fracture that any cycling isn't a great idea... Get a doctors opinion.

Mapleford | 7 years ago
0 likes

Have asked guys I sometimes go out with (riding) if any have an engine hoist to get me on the turbo. Wondered if it were poss to screw cleat into base of cast (concerned mate may use too long screw) or just gaffer tape onsmiley. On a slightly more serious note, currently fairly immobile as need to keep foot raised to minimize swelling but when I get up blood rushes into the leg and thats hellishly painfulindecision.

Nixster | 7 years ago
0 likes

Get well soon, I feel your pain.

I don't know if this is remotely possible with your treatment but is there any possibility of getting on a turbo in a week or two when things have settled down a bit?

Otherwise, keep your credit card out of reach so cycling shopping doesn't take over from the actual cycling yes !

SHAUNAM | 7 years ago
0 likes

Hi Mapleford, 

No tips, but Ouch! That sounds painful  2  Get well soon

Latest Comments