Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Mont Ventoux holiday

A friend of mine wants to ride up Mont Ventoux next year. Has anyone been out there with a tour company? I fancy an organised trip with a guide and nice restaurant stops.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

11 comments

AlaskaGuy | 13 years ago
0 likes

Hey, could you tell me a bit more about biking Mont Ventoux in April? I am planning a trip in late April, early May and wondering about the conditions. Anyone else know of web link for accurate weather data for April, May. Thanks.

DaSy replied to AlaskaGuy | 13 years ago
0 likes
AlaskaGuy wrote:

Hey, could you tell me a bit more about biking Mont Ventoux in April? I am planning a trip in late April, early May and wondering about the conditions. Anyone else know of web link for accurate weather data for April, May. Thanks.

The weather is very unpredictable, and can drastically change from day to day. In April, there is a good chance that the south and east climbs will be open, but the north climb is quite likely to be closed.

I've been in late April and early June, and June was a better option. The climbs I did in April had me battling through snow, ice and sleet for the last 5km.

The wind is likely to be a feature whenever you go, that is pretty much luck of the draw on the day.

DaSy | 13 years ago
0 likes

PJ, I love that route over the Col de Madelaine (the little local one!), Aires, Fontanube then round to Sault, up to the summit and then back down to Bedoin (that descent is so good) and back to Faucon.

There is a lot of good riding in that area, i really could move out there...if I actually had the bottle to up sticks and go somewhere!

pj | 13 years ago
0 likes

i reckon may would be good; i've gone in april, and both times had pretty good weather during the stay, but lovely sunshine and no wind during the ascents. this year there was snow at the top and the pass was closed, got within about 1500 metres. the time before it was good all the way up.

the last day this year we did an epic slog in pissing rain, up col de aires, fantaube, round the back, up and down all day, it was pretty brutal.

pj | 13 years ago
0 likes

another recommendation for craig and vicky - awesome place. he'll go out for a ride with you as well.

ask him about the 3-up along the gorge de la nesque (a beautiful ride, steady climb for 25km or so)we did in 35.56 in april. i'm sure he'll remember.

DaSy | 13 years ago
0 likes

Ventoux likes to reign down outrageous weather on us poor unsuspecting cyclists, the climb is tough enough, but the weather is so often what you really have to battle against, be it snow, gale force wind or being exposed to blazing heat on the bare reflective upper slopes...

The guy in yellow was blown right off his bike, and only managed to make it to the observatory wall when the car behind pulled alongside and blocked the wind for him! The guy against the wall was hanging onto that rail for all he was worth, and I had to go up to that summit three times that day, each time the wind seemed worse than the time before...

Blackhound | 13 years ago
0 likes

I did it in mid June this year - it was raining and bitterly cold.

(Gorgeous in Bedoin, we thought any rain would be warm!)

DaSy | 13 years ago
0 likes

I would say you are better waiting until June, I rode it in late April one year, and the North ascent was shut due to snow, and the South climb was supposedly shut, but I went through anyway, the story is told here - Mont Ventoux Feature

I did the Club des Cingles du Ventoux in early June this year, and all climbs were open, but it wasn't ridiculously hot, that said, the Mistral was blowing people off their bikes, but that is Ventoux!

cat1commuter | 13 years ago
0 likes

What's the best time of year? I heard that May is good.

cat1commuter | 13 years ago
0 likes

Thanks, nice to have a personal recommendation. I visited their site earlier today, since it was the top Google hit for "cycling holiday mont ventoux".

DaSy | 13 years ago
0 likes

Cat1 - I've been there a few times, and always stay at VeloVentoux - http://www.veloventoux.com

Craig and Vicky are lovely, and the accommodation is spot on, a large Victoian style house with lovely rooms and a descent cyclists breakfast. I really can't recommend them highly enough, Craig is an extremely good cyclist, racing out there in France with some good results, so he knows how to cater for cyclists.

They are in Faucon, about 15km from the foot of Ventoux, so a great warm up, plus there are lots of other good routes from there round the mountain or along the Gorge de la Nesque etc.

There are lots of places to eat around, I mean, it is France. But Vaison la Romaine is my favourite place to eat of an evening, and a stunning village to walk round.

You can't fail to fall in love with that area, and Ventoux is my favourite place to cycle up, an awesome ride, that for some reason feels just that bit more special than any of the other mountains I've ridden.

Latest Comments