Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Tyres - bad luck or am I doing something wrong?

Was wiping my bike down after my ride yesterday and I found a nick in the sidewall.  It was only the third ride on the tyre and I'd put it on to replace one that had suffered a similar fate after about 550km.   Does this seem like bad luck, bad tyres or have I got the pressure all wrong (85psi - I'm 77kg)?  Any input greatly appreciated.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

Wafty Crank | 7 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the advice. I'll try patching them see how they hold.

mike the bike | 7 years ago
0 likes

I'm with the tyre boot crowd.  I make my own from old tyre sidewalls and, as Matthew says, stick 'em to the inside, overlapping the split by a fair bit.  I've never had one let me down.

I believe the Panaracer is a decent tyre, certainly not one of your £9 specials, so you must just be unlucky.  The only way is up!

matthewn5 | 7 years ago
1 like

Gaffa tape - two layers at right angles - also works for those. Put it on the back though.

madcarew | 7 years ago
0 likes

Few tyres are immune to side cuts like that. The question is do they go right through? If they do you can put a boot on the inside of the tyre. I use car innertube patches. They're thick and effective. Combination of bad luck and the surface you're riding over, but they don't have to be binned just because of sidewall nicks.

0 likes

Thanks for the responses.  The tyres are Panaracer Gravel Kings (26mm) and I'm riding on asphalt although some of it is fairly debris strewn.  I've ridden the same roads on Lifeline Prime Race with no damage (to the tyres but chewing through a few chamios pads when the roads were wet) and changed to Gravel Kings for some extra grip.

The picture is from my last ride.

996ducati | 7 years ago
0 likes

Panaracer maybe? (Made in Japan)

mike the bike | 7 years ago
0 likes

What tyres are they Mr Crank?

LarryDavidJr | 7 years ago
1 like

Pressure won't make much difference to sidewall nicks, it mainly helps prevent snakebite punctures.

What sort of surfaces are you riding on?  I took my cross bike over the downs a few times and got about three sidewall slices from flints/stones in a month before I decided that was terrain better suited to the MTB.

peted76 | 7 years ago
2 likes

Methinks bad luck.

0 likes

These are the tyres...

Latest Comments