Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Anyone with real life experience with these tyres?

I'll try to be brief.

I decided I'd try to get through the winter on a pair of Conti GP4000Sii (28mm). Whether I've been unlucky I can't say but I've had a particularly bad run of punctures mainly from flint/stones to the point that I have had to patch the rear twice (never had to do this before) and likely it will have to be skipped if it happens again. Never seen a tyre looking so cut up.

Looking around at options, with a view to trying tubeless, I have a short list. I've read the reviews but could anyone, with actual experience of the following tyres, care to make any recomendations? All options would be 28mm.

Continental GP 4 Seasons - although tubeless ability is unknown?

Hutchinson Sector 28

Panaracer Gravel King

Schwalbe S-One Evo (might be called G-One Speed now?)

Hope you can help.

Thanks

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

35 comments

ibr17xvii | 7 years ago
0 likes

Was sick of getting punctures in winter on Gatorskins so got some Conti GatorHardshells, had them on for less then 400 miles & got a big split in the rear tyre yesterday.

Fortunately it didn't blow out & fortunately I was round the corner from home but it's very disappointing for a tyre that's supposed to offer increased puncture protection.

I'll probably get another as maybe I was just a wee bit unlucky but it's frustrating nonetheless.

sergius | 7 years ago
0 likes

Don't tempt the fates! After 9000 punture free km since I started riding again; I then had five punctures in as many months.

I've decided against tubeless for the time being on my new wheels as I'm not convinced the faff is worth it.  I struggle enough to fit non tubeless tyres as it is (it's taken me over 30 minutes to get a tyre on once in the pouring rain!), as I understand it, tubeless are generally worse.

I generally ride Conti GP4000SII tyres, though I've now switched to gatorskins on my winter bike as I found the Conti's were getting really cut up after only a short time.

logomomo | 7 years ago
0 likes

Have ridden 3k on Hutchinson Sector 28s - mixed riding - B roads, tow paths and back lanes). Had a couple of small punctures in that time though they both self sealed (stans tubeless sealant) with minimal air loss.

I did get a nasty slash on the side wall - about 10mm in length which obviously did not seal. It was on a ride from Cambridge to London and needed booting and an inner tube to get me home. Suspect it was a glass shard and the tyre was a write-off but that would have been the case with pretty much any performance tyre.

Highly recomend the Sector 28s - really lovely feel to the ride and good grip - only drawback is that they seem to kick up a lot of spray in the wet.

Thicas1515 | 7 years ago
0 likes

4 seasons are definitely overrated I think
Michelin Pro 4 would be better for punctures

hsiaolc replied to Thicas1515 | 7 years ago
0 likes

Thicas1515 wrote:

4 seasons are definitely overrated I think
Michelin Pro 4 would be better for punctures

Nothing compares to tubeless. Not even close. 

2 years without puncture (well I am sure there are but I've only witnessed it twice). 

last time was two day ago?  I was putting my bike up for cleaning and saw something shinning on the tyre.  There was a pin stuck on it so I pulled it out, immediately hissing and in vertually seconds it sealed itself.  Impressive.  I rode in twice in the rain with no problem. 

First time I was in Regents park and I heard a hiss and immediately selant was pissing out and I thought damn I need to push my bike to work.  Guess what, in 3 seconds the sealant stopped coming out and it sealed whatever hole there was and I got to work just fine.

One of the best upgrades I've done since disc brakes. 

riotgibbon | 7 years ago
0 likes

tried out my new Gravel King 32's  

far better on muddy tracks than S-Ones, but I don't think as fast on the road. Have to get some more commuting miles in to really know about the road, but they've handled great off-road in some fairly sloshy conditions. Not slow on the road, just not as fast as S-Ones

riotgibbon replied to riotgibbon | 7 years ago
0 likes

riotgibbon wrote:

tried out my new Gravel King 32's  

far better on muddy tracks than S-Ones, but I don't think as fast on the road. Have to get some more commuting miles in to really know about the road, but they've handled great off-road in some fairly sloshy conditions. Not slow on the road, just not as fast as S-Ones

First puncture on Gravel King"s, after about 90 miles, 20 of which off road. The Hollow Crown ....

Bike Swanky | 7 years ago
0 likes

Had an abolsute hoot on Friday.  Went geocaching off-road with the boys from Stolen Goat.

Rode the Tifosi TK7 Gran Fondo fitted with the S-Ones.  https://www.facebook.com/BikeSwanky/posts/456445177812561

Up to 6" of mud in places, slippery roots, ice, frozen hoof prints, slippery roots.  More importantly, plenty of gorse bushes around!  The S-ones handled it with no issues!  No punctures!  Running with tubes.  Who'd have thought?!?!?

Also, the TK7 Gran Fondo was designed before Gravel Road became a thing.......who knew that it could handle it so well?  1  LOL

(It was fitted with a steel fork)

So, if you were wondering if the S-Ones would work well as good Winter on the road tyres, then I'd have to say "I'm sold"  1

riotgibbon | 7 years ago
0 likes

my first set of S-ones (30mm) went for 4k miles without punctures, then they gave in to the huge holes I managed to get.  I got another set, and managed to get a double puncture on one of them within a week!

they do fix up, and are generally awesome but do be aware they aren't invincible. 

having said that, the bike they were on isn't very happy - every bearing is broken, and Specialized have just replaced the carbon frame for free - well, they will call the Diverge "a go anywhere Adventure bike!"

Bike Science | 7 years ago
0 likes

Schwalbe S-One Tubless for me too on the winter bike. Best winter tyres I've ever used. They have/are changing name to G-One Speed though as you say. No difference in the tyre though as far as I'm aware. They offer a wired non tubeless version of the tyre too  and they're only £20. Run tubeless though if your wheels allow.

0 likes

Using Schwalbe S-Ones (with tubes) on one of our Winter bikes here:

https://www.facebook.com/BikeSwanky/posts/452245341565878

Winter tyre choice is more than avoiding punctures, although that is obviously a critical factor.

GP4000 S2 don't have a compound that works very well in very cold weather.

4 Seasons has a better cold weather compound than Gatorskins for example.

Vittoria's new Graphene tyres perform very well against punctures it seems.  The Rubino Pro Control has a good rubber matrix too for cold weather grip.  The older and non Graphene ones are frankly shite!

28c and above gives you lots of contact point with the road.

Larger volume tyres run well at lower pressures without necessarily having the issue of pinch flats.

The Schwalbe S-ones roll very well for a wide tyre with nobbly bits  1

I ride in sub zero temperatures on these tyres and have no issues.

That being said, you still need to amend your riding style to the conditions, as you'd expect.

P.S.

Watch out for camber when it is icy.  You can find yourself somewhat contrary to the perpendicular if you're not careful  1

0 likes
hsiaolc | 7 years ago
0 likes

Ok let me give you another perspective. 

I also had conti 4 seasons.  Actually I still have them.  Used them for half a year (2 years ago one winter) and never will it be on my rims again. Cant compare the tubless's comfort level.  When you can run 50 psi or less it is a god send.  The puncture proof is a plus but I get it for comfort and doesn't seem to sacrifice any speed either. 

Hence I want to go bigger to 32mm so I can dip below 50 psi to around 45. 

Simboid replied to hsiaolc | 7 years ago
1 like

hsiaolc wrote:

Ok let me give you another perspective. 

I also had conti 4 seasons.  Actually I still have them.  Used them for half a year (2 years ago one winter) and never will it be on my rims again. Cant compare the tubless's comfort level.  When you can run 50 psi or less it is a god send.  The puncture proof is a plus but I get it for comfort and doesn't seem to sacrifice any speed either. 

Hence I want to go bigger to 32mm so I can dip below 50 psi to around 45. 

I'll 2nd that. I quite liked my 4 seasons, fairly fast and very robust. I once got the dreaded 'ticking tyre', knowing it probably meant a big puncture I stopped and picked out a shard the size and shape of a shark tooth, pointy end in, and nothing happened! Only problem is they ride like wooden hoops.

My new bike fits up to 35c and has stan's grail so I put tubeless S-Ones on and what a difference! Road buzz is no more with 45-50psi and my arse can go at least an extra 10 miles without complaining. Faster too and no punctures so far in 2000 miles. I used 12mm rim tape just in the groove so it doesn't touch the tyres and air loss is negligable. Hate punctures? Go tubeless.

TheFatAndTheFurious | 7 years ago
1 like

I'm a strict Conti fan with the experience of having tried a whole _two_ different tyres. The Schwalbe Ultremos that came with the bike peeled apart under no more than a stern stare.

I can't fault the tube'd 4000s II tyre for the riding I do - quiet country lanes which are pretty clean and dry most of the time, though often that grumbly tar/gravel dressing surface. I run 23mm at 110psi at a rider+bike weight of 90kg. These easily last me a full season - 6300km this year. I've had one puncture per year on average with them under these conditions, and only one of them might have been avoided with tubeless (a classic rock strike puncture). Whilst not knowing your roads, I reckon either I've been very lucky, or you've been simply unlucky.

Regarding the Conti 4 seasons, I can only report a single experience of a distinct improvement in grip when in super-soak conditions on a super-smooth surface over the 4000s tyres. That may also be down to running 25mm 4 seasons at 95psi, giving a bigger contact patch, but they were noticably more assured. In the dry, I can't tell the difference. Since I'm not hanging it out round hairpins at 30mph though, that's not surprising.

Tubeless strikes me as a potentially messy solution to a problem I don't particularly have, so am happy to stick with tubes.

davel | 7 years ago
0 likes

+1 for armadillos.

I commute on a CX bike and have MTB armadillos on that as well as my winter roadie. Punctured once a week on various CX tyres: ripped to bits by shale shards, got thorns through sidewalls.

Must've done a combined 5,000 miles since without one puncture.

HalfWheeler | 7 years ago
0 likes

I'm on Specialized Armadillos.

I literally can't remember the last time I punctured, perhaps the tail end of 2014, beginning of 2015. You won't win the Tour on them that's for sure but they're bomb proof. I've done 10,000 miles plus on them over the years on 2 or 3 punctures, max. Sometimes the tread will wear all the way down to the casing and you'll have to replace the tyre but you won't have punctured in that time.

hsiaolc | 7 years ago
0 likes

Tubeless for road is awesome.  

I've used Schwalbe Pro one for about a year. 

Then I wanted bigger tires so I am running the Schwalbe S one - changed to G one for some reason and very confusing. 

I have been runing the S One since the summer and so far they are holding up well and the best about tubeless is  you can run much lower psi than normal and it is extremely comfortable.  One of the best thing ever and since the S One I've been running at 50 psi without problems. Feels very fast but just soaks up all the road uneveness. Likes on clouds. 

Not sure what one talked about not sealing.  I was riding in regents one morning and you can virtually see the puncture happening in real time and the sealent leaking out and I thought to myself thats it I have to push the bike to work.  Guess what? two spins the leaking stopped and I didn't have to do anything about it at all and it is sealed.  Brought smiles to my face!! 

So far with tubless for two years commuting in central london and no one puncture.  The ones that seals themselves I don't consider that puncture. 

I want to go for something with 32mm but Schwable not offering any atm.  

Very interested in Vittoria Graphene + tubless but it is too narrow. If they bring anything over 30mm I will give it a go immediately. 

mattydubster | 7 years ago
0 likes

Hi all

Just thought I should mention that I have both Schwalbe S-Ones in 30mm (summer) and have just switched to Schwalbe X-Ones for winter and can mount both of these comepletely tubeless with just a Lezyne mini pump.  I have never been into the big soapy water compressor thing and when they were advertised as 'tubeless easy' I thought they were possibly telling porkies....I was a bit shocked when they went up straight away.  Tubeless is awesome.

Just my tuppence worth  1

Oh, and FWIW, the wheels are Novotec disc and I have put a layer of gorilla tape inside the rim (feels quite thick) to help keep them airtight.

Johnnystorm | 7 years ago
1 like

"If you do puncture out in the countryside and the tyre needs topping up some are a nightmare to re-inflate. Fitting a tube means you've got to carry one, negating one of the advantages of the system."

If you get a puncture in a tubeless tyre you'd have also got it in a tubed one, you'd have also probably dodged a few thorns that would have taken out your tubes. I always carry a tube regardless of set up, I'm not going to be be stuck at the side of the road waiting for a patch to stick.

I don't see carrying a spare tube negating an advantage, after all I'm not 'carrying' tubes in my wheels.

"I recently passed a rider with just this problem, his mini-pump wouldn't even begin to put air in the tyre and I wasn't giving him my spare tube as I had another ninety miles to ride."

Don't blame you. But the same would've applied if he was tubed and didn't bring adequate kit with him.

"The sealants have a definite and short life in the tyre and will need renewing every few months. They're not cheap and the job is messy, messy, messy."

Every few months means three times a year perhaps? As for messy, what are you doing? Either remove a valve core and squirt down the valve with the nozzle many sealant bottles have or slip over the plastic pipe that others have. Failing that, pop the bead, pour some in and rotate the wheel before putting the tyre back. It's really simple.

I'm happy to do that in the comfort of my garage when I want to rather than an unplanned roadside fix in the rain.

"The sealants will also bung up your valves, making inflating tricky or even impossible."

Not in my experience with stans, nrg or bontrager sealant or indeed with a homemade mix of latex/antifreeze.

For road/gravel I've had good experiences with wtb Nanos although one of the tyres is a bit weepy in the sidewalls and for pure road I've just fitted a set of panaracer gravel kings in 32c. Only done 75 miles on them but so far so good and went up with the Bonty flash charger easily. No weeping from them.

BBB | 7 years ago
3 likes

As usual, people running tubeless tyres recommend them (based on overwhelmingly positive experience) and those who never tried them, quote the whole list of "problems"... with the technology...

kevvjj replied to BBB | 7 years ago
1 like

BBB wrote:

As usual, people running tubeless tyres recommend them (based on overwhelmingly positive experience) and those who never tried them, quote the whole list of "problems"... with the technology...

Well... I have been using tubeless since 2002 on the MTB. Would never go back to tubes. However I have only recently experimented with road tubeless, and in my opinion there is still some way to go. The main issue is the high pressures used in road tyres. Get a decent hole and the sealant simply spurts out under all that pressure, making a mess of your frame and never getting a chance to seal the hole. By decent holes I mean those casued by sharp stones such as flints - so no real advantage over tubes in this instance. I think road specific sealant is needed (startup anyone?). However, the wider 28C and 30C tyres should be able to run lower pressures and might not be so quick to lose the sealant. The other issue is rim brakes vs disk brakes. You rarely see rim brakes on MTBs anymore but it's the reverse with road bikes. If you live in a hilly area you are constantly heating up the rim and the sealant dries out much, much quicker than a disc brake rim (there's also less sealant in a road tyre vs MTB tyre). I have run Schwalbe pro ones and initially had a few punctures - each time it was because the sealant had dried up.

So, in my opinion the real advantage of tubeless is the ride quality and not the resistance to (non pinch flat) punctures  - on average I have had no less punctures than with tubes. The Shwalbe pro ones for example are a beautiful, fast tyre and, run at 70-80 psi (25c) they are magical to ride on. I don't care what anyone says though, they ARE a faff and they are messy! In conclusion - MTB, ages old technology now and well embedded - a no brainer. Road tubeless? I'm still not convinced.

Penny_Lane_Cyclist | 7 years ago
0 likes

I cannot fault GP4000s. I run them on my nice road bike, old Road bike and commuter.

Fast, very grippy, very rarely puncture - despite the rubbish Liverpool roads.

I haven't yet tried the 4000s II's or a 28mm version as my 4000s have lasted so long..

graybags | 7 years ago
1 like

I've run Conti GP4000ii's for that last two winters with only a couple of punctures (famous last words now !), used to run 4 Seasons but frankly were no better and the grip was definitely poorer. I've got Schwalbe One's on my summer bike, which gets used quite a bit in the winter and they have been fantastic, wear rate has been superb.

AWP | 7 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the input. 

I'm very familiar with tubless from MTB so am well aware of the pros and cons. I've just been a little slow on the uptake when it came to road use, probably because I've always seemed to get off lightly. These last few weeks the law of averages appears to be making up for lost time.

I'm going to give the Schwable S-Ones a go, just need to find stock.

Thanks again.

drosco | 7 years ago
1 like

Never run tubeless tyres, but the 4 seasons are overrated in my opinion. Have found Michelin Pro 4 endurance better for punctures, speed and wear in comparison.

dunnoh | 7 years ago
1 like

I have recently changed from Vittoria Paves to GP 4 Seasons because I was fed up with punctures.  The  4 Seasons are quite amazing in terms of puncture resistance but they are awful with grip in comparison to the Paves.   The best combination I ever did was 28mm Paves with a Kevlar matting inside the tyre.  But it was ruddy costly.

mike the bike | 7 years ago
1 like

I'm in full agreement that tubeless is the future and confidently expect to be using the system at some point.  But there are a couple of things that make me believe the technology is not yet ready to be sprung on the majority of cyclists.  Anyone, like me, who rides bikes for fun and never races should be aware that there are significant drawbacks:

If you do puncture out in the countryside and the tyre needs topping up some are a nightmare to re-inflate.  Fitting a tube means you've got to carry one, negating one of the advantages of the system.  I recently passed a rider with just this problem, his mini-pump wouldn't even begin to put air in the tyre and I wasn't giving him my spare tube as I had another ninety miles to ride.

The sealants have a definite and short life in the tyre and will need renewing every few months.  They're not cheap and the job is messy, messy, messy.

The sealants will also bung up your valves, making inflating tricky or even impossible.

The choice of tubeless tyres is very limited and the prices are, quite frankly, exorbitant.

Fans of tubeless make much of the fact that 'snakebite' punctures are impossible.  I do get the odd flat, about one -per-year on average, but it's always thorns or flints.  I haven't had a pinch-flat for twenty years.

But all this will change I'm sure and one day we'll all be riding tubeless.  But I'm happy to wait until the ease of use equals the tubed tyres we know and love.

wycombewheeler replied to mike the bike | 7 years ago
0 likes
mike the bike wrote:

I'm in full agreement that tubeless is the future and confidently expect to be using the system at some point.  But there are a couple of things that make me believe the technology is not yet ready to be sprung on the majority of cyclists.  Anyone, like me, who rides bikes for fun and never races should be aware that there are significant drawbacks:

If you do puncture out in the countryside and the tyre needs topping up some are a nightmare to re-inflate.  Fitting a tube means you've got to carry one, negating one of the advantages of the system.  I recently passed a rider with just this problem, his mini-pump wouldn't even begin to put air in the tyre and I wasn't giving him my spare tube as I had another ninety miles to ride.

The sealants have a definite and short life in the tyre and will need renewing every few months.  They're not cheap and the job is messy, messy, messy.

The sealants will also bung up your valves, making inflating tricky or even impossible.

The choice of tubeless tyres is very limited and the prices are, quite frankly, exorbitant.

Fans of tubeless make much of the fact that 'snakebite' punctures are impossible.  I do get the odd flat, about one -per-year on average, but it's always thorns or flints.  I haven't had a pinch-flat for twenty years.

But all this will change I'm sure and one day we'll all be riding tubeless.  But I'm happy to wait until the ease of use equals the tubed tyres we know and love.

Yes you still need a tube as sealing a tyre even with a track pump will need soapy water and is not something I would attempt by the road.

but the benefit is not saving the weight of a tube, it's in having to stop for a puncture once in 100 rides (or fewer) instead of once in 10.

I recently fitted a tubeless, there was almost zero mess, small bottle of sealant with a nozzle that fitted into the valve (core removed) empty sealant into pre sealed tyre, (fit and seal empty then deflate, fill then reinflate.)

I went with schwalbe s ones. very happy with them.

peted76 replied to wycombewheeler | 7 years ago
1 like

wycombewheeler wrote:
mike the bike wrote:

Yes you still need a tube as sealing a tyre even with a track pump will need soapy water and is not something I would attempt by the road. but the benefit is not saving the weight of a tube, it's in having to stop for a puncture once in 100 rides (or fewer) instead of once in 10. I recently fitted a tubeless, there was almost zero mess, small bottle of sealant with a nozzle that fitted into the valve (core removed) empty sealant into pre sealed tyre, (fit and seal empty then deflate, fill then reinflate.) I went with schwalbe s ones. very happy with them.

Wycomewheeler is doing it wrong. However saying that tubeless can be tricky to get right in my experience, where as tubes are always very simple. 

I run tubeless and have done for nearly two years now, I've never fitted a tube on the side of the road, I've not the patience and I'd rather call the family taxi. What I do carry, is a small half filled bottle of bontrager sealant (the best for high pressure road tyres in my experience) and an air cannister, it's easy to pop the valve out, refill sealant and inflate if it's required in an emergency. 

To be fair I should probably get a mini pump instead of the cannister as pressurised air shouldn't ideally be used with sealant, but it's a quick fix, light and easy to carry.

Pages

Latest Comments