Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

What sort of wheels are best for me?

Hello everyone and Merry Christmas etc etc,

I am after some advice about what sort of wheels I should be buying next for my bike, with the following details:

I'm 85-95kg

I ride a Specialized Sirrus Carbon 2013

I have to use a flat bar due to a serious arm injury suffered in a car crash so my aerodynamic profile is not great.

I usually ride mixed terrain, typically climbing 1600-2000m per long ride (60-100 miles)

I have Campag Zondas (2014) currently, but had a blow out in France this summer followed by a broken spoke and I do not have trust in the back wheel anymore as it just doesn't feel right.It has been to a well regarded independent bike shop and they checked it and said it's fine but as I said I've lost all trust in it so will be probably be treating myself to some new wheels.

My question is should I go for lighter wheels that accelerate well or try and go for some aero wheels that will help compensate my body position, which is far from ideal?

I don't think I want to go full aero on the wheels as due to my arm injury I think I'll be susceptible to side winds.

Ideally I wouldn't spend more than £700-800

Your help and ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

dw7978 | 7 years ago
1 like

Thanks for the responses everyone, your advice is much appreciated. I'm off to see a wheelbuilder near me next week, it will be interesting to see what he says. 

macrophotofly | 7 years ago
4 likes

Suggest you find a local wheelbuilder - one you can easily go back to. Talk with him about what wheels he can build for you. For confidence go with strong aluminium rims and a good spoke count - 28  should be fine, you are not as heavy as some, although the wheel builder will dictate the right number. A strong aluminium aero-profile rim will still be fairly lightweight where it counts, provide a little aero shape and give you a good brakeing surface.

You can of course go with Carbon but for your money and confidence I think a good quality alu rim will win out

Also go with J-bend aero spokes to balance future maintenance ease with aero / weight

The reason for the ease of getting back to the wheel builder, is many will give a long guarentee and will re-true the wheel for free(which happens on many wheels). Alternatively if you don't have one near you, I would suggest Hunt Wheels and their excellent 4-season Aero. Fantastic value, weight limit far above yourself and a very good weight (1579g) -

https://www.huntbikewheels.com/collections/road-rim-brake-wheels/product...

beezus fufoon | 7 years ago
1 like

trust is important - you're heavy enough, and descending on that terrain just adds to the stress on the wheels - I would go for 36 spokes, maybe even get some built for you for that price - good solid wheels rather than some flimsy 18 spoke wet noodles

matthewn5 | 7 years ago
0 likes

Nothing wrong with Zondas. The blowout wasn't the wheel's fault.

VeloUSA | 7 years ago
1 like

If the Zonda hub spins freely why not replace all the spokes?

CXR94Di2 | 7 years ago
0 likes

Buy some carbon 35mm aero wheels, a decent amount of aero benefit whilst being reasonably light in weight

Latest Comments