Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Rollers with resistance

I'm seriously thinking of getting a set of Elite rollers which have three levels of resistance instead of a smart turbo. I already have a Garmin 820 and sensors which I believe could/may be used by a training app if I wanted them to.
I have tried non resistance rollers and like them but couldn't get my heart rate up enough hence the mag resistance ones.
Has anyone got either the Elite Arion Mag rollers or the Elite Quick Motion rollers and if so what do they think of them?

Looking at some more structured training in the New Year and think these will help with specific areas.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

17 comments

dwtrux | 6 years ago
0 likes

I use the Quick Motion rollers with the Misuro B+ on both the My E Training App from Elite as well as on Zwift.  Virtual Power is displayed for L1 setting and seems consistent with effort, but when you go to L2 or 3, you would need a power meter to get the correct Power. 

Elite has Power Curve numbers and chart to track Power.  Chart shows up to 695 W at 60kpm on L3 versus 462W at L1.  Riding at 40kph gets 260W on L1, 332W on L2 and 426W on L3 setting.

Geraldaut | 6 years ago
0 likes

I got Galaxia rolllers some weeks ago and am a huge fan now. I use Trainerroad with my powermeter and listen to radio - time flys by, not boring at all.

I tested a FTP of 270 and the non-resistance roller is just enough. To anticipate my need for resistance as I get stronger I order a "Minoura Optional Trainer Mag Unit (Dial Type), Black" -> this is a simple resistance unit to be attached. This will allow me to do some high resistance workout later.

Honestly rolling on trainers is much more demanding mentally, I am working now on riding hands-free (it works! for 5 seconds)...

donski101 | 6 years ago
0 likes

I have just bought the Elite Quick Motion rollers. Just want to check my expectations against actual experience. On the minimum resistance setting I imagined the ride to be similar to riding on the flat or closer to a spin but I still seem to have a strong level of resistance. It's like going up a hill so after a short while you're getting fatigued with no respite in sight. Is this normal?

ChasP replied to donski101 | 6 years ago
0 likes

donski101 wrote:

I have just bought the Elite Quick Motion rollers. Just want to check my expectations against actual experience. On the minimum resistance setting I imagined the ride to be similar to riding on the flat or closer to a spin but I still seem to have a strong level of resistance. It's like going up a hill so after a short while you're getting fatigued with no respite in sight. Is this normal?

I have rollers with no 'resistance' and tyre  pressure /quality makes a huge difference to effort required, much more so than it does out on the road. If you want it easier pump your tyres up to the max.

kma55 replied to donski101 | 6 years ago
0 likes

donski101 wrote:

I've got the Quick Motion rollers and I don't think you can really compare them to riding on the road. You can't stop pedalling and coast for too long because the resistance will stop you moving fairly quickly, even on setting 1. I think what you are experiencing is perfectly normal for these.

They are great though! I tend to keep them on level 2 most of the time, but usually stick it on number 3 for a bit.

longassballs | 7 years ago
0 likes

Elite Qubo Digital Smart B+ are 270 quid and are the cheapest turbo with the ANT+ FE-C standard. That's what makes a smart trainer interractive - the resistance changes automatically as the gradient changes in whatever software you're using. They're always sold out though so wll have to put a stock alert and be quick.

Don't know about thru-axle compatibility, and can see why rollers are appealing but the ones you named don't have ANT+ FE-C (are they even labelled as 'smart'?) so it's like last gen technology.

part_robot | 7 years ago
0 likes

I don't think you'll be limited by max power for some time, OP. As a data point my CycleOps rollers give me 400W just fine on the highest setting as measured by my power meter. I reckon they are good for 500W... unlike my legs! If I ever get much higher than that I'll just adjust the magnets a bit closer to the drum. 

Personally I value the challenge and the cost (£50 used) of the rollers versus a smart trainer that's more than most people's bikes (e.g. Kickr, Neo smart). I do like Zwift but my more conventional combination of Trainer Road and Amazon/Netflix certainly isn't holding me back.

Sidenote; Trainer Road's estimation of power based on the rollers setting is susprisingly accurate under 250W.

CXR94Di2 | 7 years ago
0 likes

Tacx vortex smart. Prices have moved a little but still under £300

Johnnyvee | 7 years ago
0 likes

So is there a distinct advantage of a turbo over rollers with a resistance unit.  for someone like me not kicking out huge amounts of power?

Perhaps if I had loads of cash I could go for both in which case e bay may be my friend here. 

CXR94Di2 - what smart trainer are you suggesting for 270?

Sjl - thanks for the confirmation.  Do you find that on the top resistance level it's still not enough resistance to spin in top gear?  Or is it really quite hard? 

Sjl | 7 years ago
0 likes

Mine are the arion mag ones, couple of hundred quid, cheap and effective

CXR94Di2 | 7 years ago
0 likes

If you're are time restricted, then indoor turbo work is your best bang for your buck. One hours turbo work is worth alot more than road work. A structured workout plan like trainer-road is ideal to build a base whether a traditional or sweet spot base. Ideally a turbo with built in power meter is best so trainer-road can assess your FTP and set your workouts to stretch this level. Trainer-road has workouts from 3hrs per week to 6hrs plus for more serious rider. Plans last 18 weeks from base building through to power workouts and fine tuning your particular discipline whether TT, crits or long distance sportives.

Turbo trainers start about £270 and go upwards. Software like bkool, trainer-road can run on a phone or tablet and a PC. Add a fan and away you go

Johnnyvee | 7 years ago
0 likes

I only want it to train with rather than race against other people.  I'm looking to extend my riding capacity so was thinking of one session a week to work on intervals, pedaling or base fitness where I can control the zone I'm in and exclude external factors.  

Overall I'm actually getting quite confused with all the info and may as well may go out and ride my bike a bit further each time but I'm time poor so wanted to focus my time and make sure I'm using the time I have as efficiently as possible .  As I've signed up for a few longer rides already in 2017 to push myself I want to make sure I'm preparing for them as best I can.  

Why so many options? 

Maybes I should just buy a new pair if legs! 

Apologies as feeling frustrated by it now and not sure the best option.

CXR94Di2 | 7 years ago
0 likes

There is no comparison with a dumb trainer to a smart trainer. The ability to adjust resistance is minor compared to the interactive aspect, riding live with others and racing if you want to.

pablo | 7 years ago
0 likes

I was listening to the trainerroad podcast and someone asked the same thing. They concluded smart trainer all the way.

Johnnyvee | 7 years ago
0 likes

Sjl,
Thanks - which ones have you got of the two, though the quick motion looks like a reworked version of the Arion mags. I think the resistance unit will be the same.

CXR94DI2
I'm really thinking rollers as I have a bolt through rear axle and it seems far easier to lift a bike into a set of rollers than have to mess about with replacing axles etc to train.

Though the rollers do seem to have less resistance than a turbo but then I'm unfit and not putting out huge power. I do have a very old non smart turbo but find them boring. With rollers I like that you have to concentrate or they spit you off.. Personal preference of course but then I've not tried an interactive trainer yet because of cost. And I don't have the financial clout to get both...

Sjl | 7 years ago
1 like

I have these rollers and can highly recomend them. On the middle setting you will do about 200w at 20mph and they have a very realistic feeling, very easy to increase power up to 300w and more with the gears. They are pretty quiet and are kinder on the bike than a turbo, less stress on the tyres and frame

CXR94Di2 | 7 years ago
0 likes

Just buy a decent smart trainer. There is nothing better when used with bkool, zwift or trainer road.

Latest Comments