Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Cannondale Frame Corrosion

Hi,

I have a 2015 Cannondale Bad Boy 2 (Urban/Hybrid): approx. 3 months past the 1 year warranty the aluminium frame is showing areas of corrosion ie. where the frame has been drilled into by the manufacturer - the paint is 'bubbling' as can be seen in the images. I use the bike to commute with in all kinds of weather but I always hose down and/or wash the bike after each use and dry afterwards, storing indoors. I have 4 high-end road bikes which I maintain meticulously, including a Colnago Aluminium CX which gets the worst treatment and is spotless. The Cannondale Bad Boy 2 is a one below the top model and is disappointing the frame is corroding so quickly. I contacted Cannondale but was told, even just after warranty, the situation is the 'brutal truth'. After making an argument with them otherwise, they agreed to take it in but 'bounced' back immediately - eyewash only. I know this corrosion is malignant and spreads, is there anything I can do to prevent further damage and increase life-span ?

Thanks.

ps. Sorry, I am not able to post the images yet.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

27 comments

ktache | 7 years ago
1 like

Dottigirl,  johnnystorm suggested it earlier in the thread, then I did a bit of looking and it seems perfect for when I get my new nokons.  Motorbikers seem to swear by it.  Would be good for resisting winter road filth.  £20 to keep what would be getting on for £100 of cables tip top seems worth it.

I was going to cover every bit of the cables with wet lube, for the new ones, and in black.  If I had everything slippery when originally fitting would have made it much more difficult than it was, but to replace with some knowledge wouldn't be too much of an effort.  The silvers have rotted, but it did take a while.  Didn't care for them as I should.  Lesson learned.

Billy1mate | 7 years ago
0 likes

http://www.cannondale.com/Europe/WarrantyInfo.aspx

this is your ticket to sort it, hopefully you registered it with Cannondale when you bought it.

7rgv replied to Billy1mate | 7 years ago
0 likes

Billy1mate wrote:

http://www.cannondale.com/Europe/WarrantyInfo.aspx

this is your ticket to sort it, hopefully you registered it with Cannondale when you bought it.

Cannondale has a "get out of jail" clause: paint is not covered by the warranty. I argued the case with their manager over this and they agreed to take the bike in and have a look. however, it was only a ruse to placate me; they 'bounced' the bike back saying again that the paintwork is not covered even though frame corrosion is the cause of the paint issue.

ktache | 7 years ago
0 likes

This has been a great thread, apart from disappointment with Cannondale, and various Bad  Boys which had been my n+1s long before I knew there was a term for it.

Very informative, and now I know there are products to resist the many effects of road filth, I shall be getting some acf50 when I get my new set of Nokons.  If you don't know it exists you can't search for it on internet.

Is the Duralac similar to the coppery stuff in assembly compound?  And if it is very different, in which situation should I use each?

dottigirl replied to ktache | 7 years ago
0 likes

ktache wrote:

...I shall be getting some acf50 when I get my new set of Nokons.  If you don't know it exists you can't search for it on internet.

Is the Duralac similar to the coppery stuff in assembly compound?  And if it is very different, in which situation should I use each?

ACF50? Not heard of that before. Who suggested it to you?

I use copper seize/grease on nearly every thread I touch, but I was wondering the other day what to put on the outside of cable adjusters, etc.

I'm hoping my Nokons don't crumble to dust - I've been so impressed with their braking performance, and am considering chucking them on my CAAD8 too. Was thinking about wiping them down with GT85 as a preventative measure.

7rgv | 7 years ago
0 likes

Got it, Duralac and etch primer, LAMEy Spangly.

Spangly Shiny | 7 years ago
0 likes

You're welcome, it's what is used on aircraft which are predominantly alloy. (From my days as an aircraft techician).

Edit.

Don't forget to use etch primer on bare alloy not just any old metal primer.

atgni | 7 years ago
0 likes

Doesn't the EU sale of goods directive give 2 years manufacturing warranty to all purchases within the EU. We're still in at the mo.

7rgv | 7 years ago
0 likes

Hi Spangly, Duralac is a great tip. Thanks.

Hi Billy1mate, they drilled into the frame after painting which left exposed Aluminium from which corrosion began and caused the paint to 'bubble'. They didn't even need to repalce the frame, they could have just cleaned and repainted the affected areas. Unfortunately, it's been a while now so I have to live with it but I will not buy Cannondale again. A shame they cannot treat their customers, with legitimate issues, better and maintain brand loyalty.

Billy1mate | 7 years ago
0 likes

The treatment you've received from Cannondale has set alarm bells ringing for me, they could quite easily have taken your frame back and sent you a replacement instead of harping on about the paint finish not being covered. I have a carbon Synapse and an aluminium Quick Speed but I am not sure I want to stay with the brand if this is their attitude. If the corrosion is in several places this also suggests the frame was not properly prepared prior to painting (degreased, anodized, primed etc.) I would peruse this a bit more because regardless of the warranty it has corroded after 1 year of use, this isn't really acceptable. I expect there is something in the Sale of Goods Act that will help you resolve this to your satisfaction.

Spangly Shiny | 7 years ago
0 likes

As prevoiusly commented, best to rub down all the white powder (aluminium alloy corrosion products) and repaint. When reassembling avoid galvanic corrosion by using a pigmented varnish jounting compound such as Duralac between dissimilar metals. It's a bit messy but it works.

http://www.mbfg.co.uk/bonding-structural-adhesives/duralac.html

7rgv | 7 years ago
0 likes

The attitude from Cannondale has put me of them unfortunately. The Supersix Hi Mod is a beautiful bike and the CAADs are good models. I set myself, from the start, on the Italian breeds and have one each of the big four ☺. 

Carbon is electrically conductive (much less then metals though) and can lead to Aluminium corrosion. Not sure if the carbon degrades itself. Also, Epoxy resin used in Carbon fibre constructions can deteriorate under UV light, hence, UV resistant epoxies are used. 

part_robot | 7 years ago
0 likes

Just a helpful FYI; carbon frames can corrode. The interface between the carbon fibres and the aluminium inserts (e.g. For bottom brackets, bottle cage screws) has potential for galvanic corrosion (of the aluminium) due to carbon being electrochemically noble and electrically conductive. Carbon wheels with ali spoke nipples are great examples of this.

madcarew | 7 years ago
0 likes

I have to say, I have bought another cannondale.... a Supersix Hi Mod. Carbon doesn't corrode  1  I actually loved my Criterium 2.0 and won many races on it, even against guys on far newer bikes. The handling was aggressive to say the least  1 Personally the cosmetics are far less of an issue, and I hanker after a CAAD10 or similar for an every day bike  1 (Lifelong Cannondale fan)

7rgv | 7 years ago
0 likes

Hi madcarew,

I did argue with them, quite firmly and logically, that it is not reasonable for a 'quality' and well maitained bike to show corrosion at such an early stage and that even if it is technically over the warranty period that they should remedy the situation. They took it in and 'bounced' it back saying the paintwork is not covered, even though it is the frame corrosion causing the paint to bubble.I think the paintwork clause ia 'get out of jail' card for them. Anyway, the only option is to get a lawyer which is not worth it considering the value of the bike. I know Cannondale has won some awards for the CAAD 12, but I am wary now of buying a Cannondale in the future, and I probably wil not.

madcarew | 7 years ago
0 likes

I had a cannondale alloy frame for 20 years which developed corrosion around most of the frame openings. Over that 20 years it didn't compromise the frame integrity in any way at all. However, I can understand the OP's frustration at the early onset of this issue. Under the consumer guarantees act (fair trading act?) the item should be free of minor defects and should last for a reasonable time. It's arguable that this is a minor defect and that the paint coating and protection isn't lasting for a resaonable time.

7rgv | 7 years ago
0 likes

Thanks Johnny, the acf50 sounds like a good idea. 

Johnnystorm | 7 years ago
0 likes

Treat yourself to a can of acf50

StraelGuy | 7 years ago
0 likes

Whenever I get a new bike, I cover the weld breather holes with teeny spots of helicopter tape - especially on the stays.

7rgv | 7 years ago
0 likes

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the reply. The opening in the bottom bracket does not function as an exit unfortunately. The bottom bracket does fill with grime and soil which has to be flushed out periodically and actually required me to replace it as grit wore the ball bearings and runners. Annoying is that the 'high-end' bike is corroding after only a year.

DrG, the small holes were not covered by paint and seem to have been drilled after painting. Yes, I just took it for a spin in this stormy weather ☺.

DrG82 | 7 years ago
0 likes

The small holes you see in frames are often there to allow gases to escape when they are welded. These would obviously be covered when painting the frame.
I wouldn't worry about it, it's a commuter bike and is probably going to receive much worse in time.

StraelGuy | 7 years ago
0 likes

I agree with DrG that it's probably galvanic corrosion. Copper-slipping the bolts will slow the process down and prevent any of the fasteners getting stuck in the future.

7rgv | 7 years ago
0 likes

OTT perhaps, but it's multiple points - downtube, chain stays etc. Yes, the bottle cage mounting, but also drilled holes on the stays which only seem to be drainage ports for the frame - the bottom bracket has a large opening for cables which allows spray to enter easily. Careless design and manufacture really.

Chris James replied to 7rgv | 7 years ago
0 likes

7rgv wrote:

- the bottom bracket has a large opening for cables which allows spray to enter easily. Careless design and manufacture really.

Actually, I would say that is good design. Water will always be able to get ina  frame, and having an easy exit will prevent the frame from filling with water and galvanic corrosion setting in.

For galvanic corrosion to take place you need disimilar materials and also an electrolyte (water).

As was stated in another thread elsewhere on this site, aluminium oxide is very protective and adherent, so there should be no worry about the corroson being 'malignant - alhough I appreciate it could be aesthetically annoying.

DrG82 | 7 years ago
0 likes

I think you're being a bit ott about a little bit of corrosion.

You say that it's a a drilled point, would this hole have a stainless steel bolt in it? A bottle cage/rack mounting? If so it's probably galvanic corrosion due to the mixed metals in contact.

7rgv | 7 years ago
0 likes

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, it's a matte black finish and priming/repainting seems to be the only solution, but I've heard that the corrosion can continue under the new paint ? I 'm more disappointed that it has happened so quickly and that cannondale fobbed me off so readily. The frame was drilled into after painting - leaving exposed aluminium.

CXR94Di2 | 7 years ago
0 likes

Rub down prime and repaint, should be quite easy to get near colour match, is it black model?  

Latest Comments