Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Winter Blues!

I am soooo slooow!  I have read all the stuff about winter riding and higher air density slowing us down in winter, but this is different. In the last 3 days I have been out twice after a 2 week layoff with a cold. A cold which still lingers. I have dropped from upper quartile to lower decile times on the day on my local routes, I am 10-12% off my usual pace, and worse, am totally knackered after 30 miles, which should be a breeze. On the second of the two runs, I thought I really pushed hard, but was slower than the first run a couple of days earlier.

A bit of research first took me to dcrainmaker, who measured his performance on an indoor trainer and found a 20% drop in power, and an increase in heart rate during a cold. This made me feel more positive, but then I found a couple of more controlled medical tests where they actually infected a bunch of volunteers with a cold virus, and found absolutely no difference in athletic performance, lung function or metabolism. Seems strange that with all that mucus covering the tubes they found no change in lung function, but there we have it. 

Anybody any further information or views on this, or any Physiologists here who can explain things?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

arfa | 7 years ago
0 likes

All i can add is one tip from GB rowing is to eat a few brazil nuts every day, the only dietary supplement that they recommend apparently. They're rich in selenium which is in short supply during winter months and it helps boost your immune system.

Other than that, do something different, CX, mtb or even a little running (which I detest) ?

Jimmy Ray Will | 7 years ago
1 like

As already commented... you have answered your own question. You are still ill, so your performance will be limited.

Even if you are fully recovered, you will still expect your performance to be down for a period. that will quickly return, once back in regular training.

As also mentioned above, the only thing that will slow your recovery to full fitness is persisting with training when you are not right. 

Just get better, and then get back training once you are better. 

And then, take it easy, let your body find itself. 

captain_slog | 7 years ago
3 likes

You got them winter blues.

Woke up this morning, couldn't get on the bike
Coughin' and wheezin', you know what it's like
Took me off to the doc, he said 'No need to whinge
'I got just what you need in this little syringe.'

sergius | 7 years ago
0 likes

I never go too hard over winter, I just tell myself that any time out on the bike is a bonus and there to be enjoyed.  I'm riding a heavyish winter bike, it's cold and the reduction in daylight hours means riding any serious distances in highly unlikely.

Just enjoy being able to get out at all IMO.

I've a number of common routes I ride regularly, over the winter I'm invariably 3-4 minutes slower over the first hour.

Yorkshire wallet | 7 years ago
0 likes

I tend to not think about Strava too much in winter. If I set any winter PRs it will be accidental or just some section which I've probably been using as a rest zone most of the time. I find Strava a really good motivator but it's also a de-movitivator if you stress about it too much. Just tell yourself everyone else out that day was chainganging on a club ride.

beezus fufoon | 7 years ago
0 likes

overtraining maybe?

Simon E | 7 years ago
4 likes

" I have been out twice after a 2 week layoff with a cold. A cold which still lingers."

You've been ill. Rest more, eat fresh food and ride easy. Otherwise you'll feel sh*t and recovering from it will take even longer. There are no prizes for being at your peak in December.

Latest Comments