Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

A Question Regarding The New Campag 12-32 Cassette

I currently haved a 12-29 on my Athena II equipped summer bike but Campag now produce a 12-32, which I'd like for the mountains in the summer.

The question is, as I'm pretty crap at anything technical, will it fit straight on as is?

Thanks in advance

David

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

12 comments

Blackhound | 7 years ago
0 likes

Since my last post  have just checked prices etc.  I knew the 32 cassette was from the Potenza groupset but did not know that it was 11 speed only, my current Chorus is 10 speed.  That would explain the shifters and I would imagine a rear derailleur.  Those three items are currently £335 at Ribble

Going from 34/29 to 34/32 smallest gear changes the lowest gear from 30.9in to 28in according to the Sheldon Brown gear calculator.  Again, unsure how much I would notice this although ~10% lower gear sounds quite a bit.

alotronic | 7 years ago
0 likes

I thought the new Potenza was the only group that allowed a 32 rear on Campag? If that's the case you shouldn't go near a 32 on the other groups, you'll kill something  2

You will notice 3 teeth if you're doing a TCR!

Greatest Campag Groupset ever - Racing Triple. Now that was a thing of beauty and you good for the alps.

Blackhound | 7 years ago
0 likes

I spoke to a Campagnolo rep recently who suggested I would need new shifters if I went for a 32 cassette.  Unable to remember if a rear derailleur as well though.  So not cheap. He also said the new shifters are very good and an improvement on the older Chorus model I have.

Waiting to see if I get a place on the TCR  before deciding as I will need more than 34/29 climbing the Alps with a loaded bike.  I am wondering if I will really notice three extra teeth though.

kevvjj | 7 years ago
0 likes

Depends on the max teeth allowed for you rear mech. Otherwise should go on no problem. Chain length could be an issue, and if your current chain has seen some miles it might be best to add a new one for the new cassette.

CXR94Di2 | 7 years ago
1 like

On a long mountain climb, if you're heavy in weight, more gears always helps.   Im going to Tenerife this winter and will be proud to use my 40T cassette, I dont care if I'm slow, but I will be comfortable whilst slogging up Mount Teide

beezus fufoon replied to CXR94Di2 | 7 years ago
0 likes

CXR94Di2 wrote:

On a long mountain climb, if you're heavy in weight, more gears always helps.   Im going to Tenerife this winter and will be proud to use my 40T cassette, I dont care if I'm slow, but I will be comfortable whilst slogging up Mount Teide

I'm not sure any number of teeth would equate to "comfort" up those climbs!

...ok, I'm gonna ask - if you have a 40T casette for the mountains already, why not use that one?

CXR94Di2 replied to beezus fufoon | 7 years ago
0 likes

beezus fufoon wrote:

CXR94Di2 wrote:

...ok, I'm gonna ask - if you have a 40T casette for the mountains already, why not use that one?

I think you're confusing me with the original poster.

Here in this thread is my 40T XTR(piccies) cass setup on my turbo trainer for testing.

http://road.cc/content/forum/214350-transcontinental-gearing

It works perfectly, I can even cross chain, but dont recommend it.

beezus fufoon replied to CXR94Di2 | 7 years ago
0 likes

CXR94Di2 wrote:

beezus fufoon wrote:

CXR94Di2 wrote:

Here in this thread is my 40T XTR(piccies) cass setup on my turbo trainer for testing.

ah yeah, sorry - it was all those letters and numbers!

davel replied to CXR94Di2 | 7 years ago
0 likes

CXR94Di2 wrote:

beezus fufoon wrote:

CXR94Di2 wrote:

That's a beast.

What's the next one down, 36T?

beezus fufoon | 7 years ago
0 likes

that's a definite maybe - it also depends on how long your hanger is on the frame

to be honest I'm not sure you'll even notice the difference between 29 and 32

Dnnnnnn replied to beezus fufoon | 7 years ago
1 like

beezus fufoon wrote:

that's a definite maybe - it also depends on how long your hanger is on the frame

to be honest I'm not sure you'll even notice the difference between 29 and 32

In the right circumstances, I'm pretty sure you would!

Latest Comments