Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

CHIRP LED Bar Ends?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

11 comments

Cycloclone | 7 years ago
0 likes

The only issue I would see with using these sorts of flashers as a turn indicator is the color of the light. Motorists can barely figure out hand signals, I'm not confident they could figure out red flashing lights - though yellow would make sense.

Maybe you could have the bar plugs light up the street directly beneath you - like it had in the video - with some optical lens tricks?

It does say it has gone through rain storms I could see it brushing the terminals when you twist it similar to automotive battery terminals

Thanks for the input, let me know how those cheaper versions work out

bechdan | 7 years ago
1 like

I had the cheaper version and found they worked well with two minor changes - apply a blob of conductive paste e.g copper grease on the terminals, and replace the batteries with fresh set as the ones that come with them are usually partly discharged or of very poor quality.
This is my take on them - not as good as a rear light, fairly useful as an adjunct though. Handy to have on incase it gets dark / raining whilst out and you didnt have a rear light or as a backup if your battery goes flat. Brightness isnt really a big factor for these, having them on flash mode is more useful as they are noticable when riding and you could theoretically use them as a turn indicator by putting your hand over the opposite one and leaving one flashing?
Not much benefit for me as a non commuter, ive still got them somewhere in the bits box for another day.

Team EPO | 7 years ago
0 likes

Just orderd the cheapy Amazon ones, will update once I have used them for a bit

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gogogo-Cycling-Warning-Bicycle-Handlebar/dp/B01...

philtregear | 7 years ago
1 like

i had a similar set, a european make i cant remember the name of. they were uselss. handlebar ends are  a magnet for water and  this knackered the batteries and connections. i doubt the others here are much better, basically the water gets into the battery compartment via the seal(?) between the light and the battery unit. 

2 decent rear lights, one flashing , the other constant,  one on the bike, the other on the helmet, seems the way to go. you also always have a back up doing this.

hsiaolc | 7 years ago
1 like

don't think this will get me excited. I think I saw it before and I just clicked on another kickstart project. 

Get a good rear light and it will be more than enough. 

What I would like to have as bar ends is wirless indicators - that I will definitly buy. 

I am still waiting for someone who can come up with something that I think it is worthy of my spending. 

The helmet is a good idea (already something like that on kickstarter) but everyone has their favourite helmet already so to part with it is hard and also my helmet offers MIPS and that one doesnt. 

But I think a indicator bar ends will definity be something I will buy. 

The _Kaner | 7 years ago
0 likes

Brightness on the GUB ones are decent (as long as fresh batteries)

The translucent silicon covering does mute the brightness a bit, I'd guess the chirp version, being transparent are much brighter and by the 50 lumens/bar end stated in the Chirp video... 

I have no data for the lumen output of the GUB type...

In flashing mode the GUB type are noticeable from a couple of hundred yards at night, but less so during the day. In that respect the Chirp ones look better/safer/more noticeable.

Cycloclone | 7 years ago
0 likes

Any experience with the brightness?

Some of the red 5mm LEDs I used to play with were horribly dim - the CHIRP ones seem to light up the whole street around you

The _Kaner | 7 years ago
0 likes

I have a set of GUB ones...and a set of chinese clones off Ebay.

Batteries don't last too long, but that may be a design flaw in each case...

gunswick | 7 years ago
1 like

They look decent I think!

Cycloclone | 7 years ago
0 likes

Has anyone tried out the HK ones? How bright are they? How long do the batteries last?

Team EPO | 7 years ago
0 likes

Latest Comments