Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Training provider

Been riding for 30 years and do around 4500 miles a year. Mostly ridng on my own due to timing and work commitments.

I am intrested in anyones opinion on a scheduled training programmes that are available from the likes of Chris Carmicheal, Strava etc. I can see that there is value in riding with the structured traing programme to improve but would like to know who has used what and how well it has worked for them.

Look forward to hearing some experiences.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

16 comments

Anthony.C | 7 years ago
0 likes

In the summer I had a go at "today's plan". It's pretty cheap for a start and once you have a plan set up you upload the power based workouts to your Garmin and then just follow them and analyse how you are doing on their site. It's pretty good if you want some structure. I only ride outdoors too but during daylight hours.

Simontuck | 7 years ago
0 likes

It's a Love/ Hate relationship training indoors. It's hard and you have to really want to get better. A few times I've just given up on a session that was too much, I want to enjoy my riding again!! It's easier over Winter though, I'd rather slog away indoors and I have the light at the end of the tunnel that says I'll be stronger for it when the warmth comes back.

dave atkinson | 7 years ago
1 like

Currently using Trainerroad for the purposes of writing a review of it on here. but the short-form review is: it's excellent. and if you want to do proper structured training there really is no better tool than a good indoor trainer.

paulrattew | 7 years ago
0 likes

I'm a massive fan of trainerroad. In terms of structured training I don't think there is much to compare with it (from the various options that I have tried), unless you want to pay for a proper coach. I got really good gains in my top level power, sustainable power and, probably more importantly, a better understanding of my limits through using it and it massively benefited my general outdoors riding. I've been off the bike with a smashed ankle/leg for a fe months and won't be able to ride for another few months, but as soon as I can I will be going back on trainerroad to rebuild some strength and form in a structured, measured manner.

If you are really keen on getting better and stronger over the winter then the turbo is really the best way to go. Do the structured training inside - the stuff where you are really working to meet your set goals - then use outside rides to have fun. Trying to do structured training outside is always going to be fraught with difficulties - traffic, weather, and road conditions all make it really difficult to do specific intervals, and this is even more the case during winter.

Doing the quality physical work inside will pay massive dividends to your outside riding.  Not having to concentrate on intervals etc. while outside means that instead you can focus on things like general bike skills when you go out (handling, group riding, all that sort of thing). The trainerroad programmes are generally based around 2 or three midweek turbo sessions with a longer weekend session, which can easily be switched out for an outdoors ride.

Apart from all of the above, I still think getting a real coach is the best investment most riders can made, pound for pound, in terms ofimproving their performance. It really isn't that expensive, there are lots around, and means you get something that is tailored around you and your life. The problem with any of these training tools is that it is easy to overtrain (and cause damage / inhibit your progression). A real, good, coach will be conscious of you training load and how it is affecting you. They will be able to tell you when to take a bit of extra recovery and rest time - this often will not be when you personally feel you should. Training is great, but you only see the gains of it with proper rest and recovery.

davel | 7 years ago
0 likes

Excellent - you have all the gear then.

I've found Trainerroad as a base gives me everything I've needed, fitness-wise. It helped me move up to ironman distance triathlons and do some local TTs. I think you can try it free for a month, so you can browse the plans and workouts.

My advice would be to have a look at it, if you haven't already. It's really easy with the kickr (that's my setup too) and you can always try some of the sessions outside with your power meters (here's what they say about that: http://support.trainerroad.com/hc/en-us/articles/204265814-Outdoor-Worko...)

Edit - the only other real cycle training I've had was a few 1:1 sessions with a coach, focused purely on handling. That did have an effect - I think my handling skills are nowhere near where they should be, but they're better than they were.

Other than that it's been whatever I pick up on club runs, which is good, but can lack structure.

riotgibbon | 7 years ago
0 likes

I liked TrainerRoad the best when I was off this time last year with a broken wrist. You can overlay the instructions over a video, so I worked my way through Game of Thrones whilst pedalling away at a specified level of watts or rpm

my lad was in training this year for a big race, we did bit of time on the road, but it turned out the only way to get anywhere near the schedule was on the turbo - the roads are just too chaotic, you get held up at junctions and jams, it's impossible to concentrate on cadence on a road, you name it

we ended with him watching cbbc on the tablet whilst I yelled "faster" and "slower" (but mainly "faster").  Worked pretty well

upinthehills replied to riotgibbon | 7 years ago
0 likes

riotgibbon wrote:

I liked TrainerRoad the best when I was off this time last year with a broken wrist. You can overlay the instructions over a video, so I worked my way through Game of Thrones whilst pedalling away at a specified level of watts or rpm

my lad was in training this year for a big race, we did bit of time on the road, but it turned out the only way to get anywhere near the schedule was on the turbo - the roads are just too chaotic, you get held up at junctions and jams, it's impossible to concentrate on cadence on a road, you name it

we ended with him watching cbbc on the tablet whilst I yelled "faster" and "slower" (but mainly "faster").  Worked pretty well

That is beautiful. I now have this vision of a 4 year old. Your lad, perched upon an over sized road bike on a turbo trainer watching cbbc. 

thanks for this its made be better informed and very happy. Oh and I hope it was worth and your 4 year old made it into the elite juniors.

riotgibbon replied to upinthehills | 7 years ago
1 like

upinthehills wrote:

That is beautiful. I now have this vision of a 4 year old. Your lad, perched upon an over sized road bike on a turbo trainer watching cbbc. 

thanks for this its made be better informed and very happy. Oh and I hope it was worth and your 4 year old made it into the elite juniors.

you be the judge: https://youtu.be/sFX2KO8zpbw?t=85

he's ripping my legs off now when I'm on my Pashley, but it's truly terrifying how fast 12 year olds can ride

here are the results from one of the crit races in Assen this year:

http://www.europeanjuniorcyclingtourassen.eu/data/media/Uitslag%20Criter...(1).pdf   (link doesn't work so I've attached it)

it's the cat 5, which I believe was  boys born in 2004, girls in 2003. So, 12/13 year olds. It was a 20k/ 30 minute race, and I will let you translate this for yourself:

"De gemiddelde snelheid van de winnaar is 40.431 km/u "

oof!

upinthehills replied to riotgibbon | 7 years ago
0 likes

riotgibbon]</p>

<p>[quote=upinthehills wrote:

you be the judge: https://youtu.be/sFX2KO8zpbw?t=85

he's ripping my legs off now when I'm on my Pashley, but it's truly terrifying how fast 12 year olds can ride

here are the results from one of the crit races in Assen this year:

http://www.europeanjuniorcyclingtourassen.eu/data/media/Uitslag%20Criter...(1).pdf   (link doesn't work so I've attached it)

it's the cat 5, which I believe was  boys born in 2004, girls in 2003. So, 12/13 year olds. It was a 20k/ 30 minute race, and I will let you translate this for yourself:

"De gemiddelde snelheid van de winnaar is 40.431 km/u "

oof

blimey he is quick. Seems to work then

davel | 7 years ago
0 likes

Yeah thinking about Trainerroad it can incorporate runs and swims too, but I haven't tried them (and I do triathlons) figuring that they're much easier to structure workouts for. Could well be I'm not using Trainerroad to its full capability.

There is a way to include other rides as substitutes for the workouts, but I'm not sure whether that includes outdoors ones. With a power meter you'd get value out of doing the sessions outdoors, there's just a lot more interference and stop-start.

davel | 7 years ago
1 like

I tend to do one or two of the Trainerroad plans each winter to keep ticking over or build my base. The plan I select varies depending on where my fitness is, how much time I can devote to it etc, but if I stick to it it will always get me to where I want to be. Loads of plans and individual workouts to choose from.

Throwing sufferfest vids in there (the videos can be integrated into their own sessions in Trainerroad) mixes it up too.

It is turbo only - software-controlled.

If you do want to get structured, I can't recommend a turbo enough - if you can accommodate one etc. 3 main advantages for me:

1 you're less of a slave to your landscape (eg you can spend 15 mins warming up and then be doing a session that I'd struggle to do unless I was hitting hills 20-30 miles away)

2 you're less of a slave to the weather: icy, snowing or blowing a gale outside? No problem...

3 you don't worry about traffic. I've pushed myself in turbo sessions where I've been sliding off the bike, really not in a good state. If I was 15 miles from home and still had to concentrate amongst traffic I'd be concerned for my safety. Also means you can prat about trying things you'd probably avoid on the road, like single-leg drills. Stuff like that really helps overcome weaknesses - it's a massive boon to fitness.

Not a replacement for outdoor rides but they hugely complement the training side.

Edit - if you're going to stick to outdoors, I'd consider a power meter.

Both approaches require reasonable investment, but if you're investing the time in training, you will want to measure improvements and assess progress...

upinthehills replied to davel | 7 years ago
0 likes

davel wrote:

I tend to do one or two of the Trainerroad plans each winter to keep ticking over or build my base. The plan I select varies depending on where my fitness is, how much time I can devote to it etc, but if I stick to it it will always get me to where I want to be. Loads of plans and individual workouts to choose from. Throwing sufferfest vids in there (the videos can be integrated into their own sessions in Trainerroad) mixes it up too. It is turbo only - software-controlled. If you do want to get structured, I can't recommend a turbo enough - if you can accommodate one etc. 3 main advantages for me: 1 you're less of a slave to your landscape (eg you can spend 15 mins warming up and then be doing a session that I'd struggle to do unless I was hitting hills 20-30 miles away) 2 you're less of a slave to the weather: icy, snowing or blowing a gale outside? No problem... 3 you don't worry about traffic. I've pushed myself in turbo sessions where I've been sliding off the bike, really not in a good state. If I was 15 miles from home and still had to concentrate amongst traffic I'd be concerned for my safety. Also means you can prat about trying things you'd probably avoid on the road, like single-leg drills. Stuff like that really helps overcome weaknesses - it's a massive boon to fitness. Not a replacement for outdoor rides but they hugely complement the training side. Edit - if you're going to stick to outdoors, I'd consider a power meter. Both approaches require reasonable investment, but if you're investing the time in training, you will want to measure improvements and assess progress...

Many thanks for your really great reply. I am rather, oh maybe amazingly lucky in that despite snow and rain etc I can ride out of my house and be on roads that are empty. This is the nub of my problem I surpose. The world seems to have gone digital and although I can follow it, as I have a wahoo kickr I just dont get the real feel from doing it. I want something that I can do in a stuctured way on the road that is similar to the VR world that is amazingly effective on line but I cant seem to get commited to the online gig when I live where you can, and therefore should go out for ride in the dark without serious risk of being run over. But I want to get faster like the rest of us.

upinthehills replied to upinthehills | 7 years ago
0 likes

upinthehills wrote:

davel wrote:

I tend to do one or two of the Trainerroad plans each winter to keep ticking over or build my base. The plan I select varies depending on where my fitness is, how much time I can devote to it etc, but if I stick to it it will always get me to where I want to be. Loads of plans and individual workouts to choose from. Throwing sufferfest vids in there (the videos can be integrated into their own sessions in Trainerroad) mixes it up too. It is turbo only - software-controlled. If you do want to get structured, I can't recommend a turbo enough - if you can accommodate one etc. 3 main advantages for me: 1 you're less of a slave to your landscape (eg you can spend 15 mins warming up and then be doing a session that I'd struggle to do unless I was hitting hills 20-30 miles away) 2 you're less of a slave to the weather: icy, snowing or blowing a gale outside? No problem... 3 you don't worry about traffic. I've pushed myself in turbo sessions where I've been sliding off the bike, really not in a good state. If I was 15 miles from home and still had to concentrate amongst traffic I'd be concerned for my safety. Also means you can prat about trying things you'd probably avoid on the road, like single-leg drills. Stuff like that really helps overcome weaknesses - it's a massive boon to fitness. Not a replacement for outdoor rides but they hugely complement the training side. Edit - if you're going to stick to outdoors, I'd consider a power meter. Both approaches require reasonable investment, but if you're investing the time in training, you will want to measure improvements and assess progress...

Many thanks for your really great reply. I am rather, oh maybe amazingly lucky in that despite snow and rain etc I can ride out of my house and be on roads that are empty. This is the nub of my problem I surpose. The world seems to have gone digital and although I can follow it, as I have a wahoo kickr I just dont get the real feel from doing it. I want something that I can do in a stuctured way on the road that is similar to the VR world that is amazingly effective on line but I cant seem to get commited to the online gig when I live where you can, and therefore should go out for ride in the dark without serious risk of being run over. But I want to get faster like the rest of us.

Oh and I have  a power meter on all the bikes I have. After the bike its the best add on that you could buy. So I have the stats but not the plan. Whats a good plan?

upinthehills | 7 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for that. Is that for trainer use only?

tritecommentbot replied to upinthehills | 7 years ago
0 likes

upinthehills wrote:

Thanks for that. Is that for trainer use only?

Can do on the road or indoors, though it's got 3 to 4 vids a week in it. But if it's an interval video, just go out and do intervals, etc. Much more suited to having their app though as it's got yoga sessions in it now too. Maybe about £8/mo.

Like davel says, it can be hard to do certain types of workout properly on the road. 

tritecommentbot | 7 years ago
0 likes

Missus improving nicely using the Sufferfest 12 week Intermediate training plan. 

Latest Comments