Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Mavic Kysrium Elite S max tyre width?

As the title suggests, I would like to put some wide rubber beneath myself and the debris strewn potholed winter roads. 

Ive scoured the Mavic website and there is no obvious suggestion of a max width, however, I'm hoping someone has a first hand knowledge or reccomendation of the widest tyre that will sit comfortably on these rims. 

There internal width appears to be 17mm, so I imagine this has some bearing on the max tyre width. 

The frame I have is a CX and will allow 35c tyres. That being said I'm debating  between getting some 27c road tyres and some 32c CX tyres. 

(Realistically the 27 will allow me to commute to work and back which will be this bikes main job. The 32c will open up the opportunity to get out into the woods, but I imagine these will be too wide?) 

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Cheers, Dom 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

CampyNut | 2 years ago
1 like

I know this is an old thread...  But,,,  I have the 2015 Kysrium Elite S wheels and wanted to know the same thing(Max tire width).  These have been a bulletproof set of wheels for years.  I had to do some digging to find out what the max tire size was on the Mavic site. The serial number lookup sucked.  So I had to download all manuals the years before and after the year that I bought my wheels, just to be sure.  My Kysrium Elite S wheels were only made in 2015.  

Here are the specs .

Front and Rear wheel specs

Specifications RIMS

▪Material : Maxtal

▪Height : front 22 mm, rear 25 mm asymmetrical

▪Joint : SUP

▪Drilling : Fore

▪Brake track : UB Control

▪Weight reduction : ISM

▪Valve hole diameter : 6.5 mm

▪Tyre : clincher

▪ETRTO size : 622x15C

Recommended tyre sizes : 19 to 32 mm 

Here are the links to help anyone out trying to find the same information for other years.

2015 Manual (Only the S model is listed in 2015 Manual)

https://tech.mavic.com/tech-mavic/technical_manual/data/docs/catalogues/...

beezus fufoon | 7 years ago
0 likes

the little booklet you get with mavic wheels says 15C can run 23-32mm tyres - I tried to find an online version to link, but haven't found it yet

Velo_Dom | 7 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the responses. 

I have the S' so going off what you've said then Anthony the internal width is 15mm. 

Given what everyone else has said above I imagine that rules out the wider tyres on 15mm width. 

However can we assume I would be able to run some 27/28 tyres without issue? 

Anthony.C | 7 years ago
0 likes

If your wheels are Mavic Ksyrium Elite S then they will be 15 mm rim width not 17 mm. Mavic dropped the S for the newer version of the wheels  and they are 17 mm width.

VeloUSA | 7 years ago
0 likes

You are correct in assuming the narrow internal width "has some bearing on the max tyre width."  A few years back I mounted 25mm Michie Pro 3's on the same rim only to find the sidewalls ballooned out to a measured 27.5mm. But, and I say but, because Michie Pro 3's were notorius for measuring wider than spec'd so I cannot attest that this would happen with another tire mfg.

However, I see no clearance problems with 27's on your frame. The 32's are questionable. Perhaps if you took your rear wheel to your LBS, along with a digital micrometer, they would allow you to mount a 32 and measure its width.  I would do this with the mfg tire of choice as width may vary from mfg to mfg.

beezus fufoon | 7 years ago
0 likes

one mavic chart I have says they'll take 52's but on the mavic site it says, 25-32mm

Danno | 7 years ago
0 likes

I've ridden 28mm conti's on a 15mm integral width rim with no issues. I'd imagine 32 would be okay on 17mm

Latest Comments