Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Urgent Advice Please!

Hey everyone, 

I'm a bit of a biking noob if I'm honest. I bought my first bike a few months back which was a rubbish Viking Phantom Road Bike that didn't cost me much but it's a decision I definitely regret!

Flashforward a few months and my wife and I are looking to start commuting to work via bike as opposed to using cars/public transport.

We're doing it for environmental but also health reasons. With Christmas just around the corner we thought it'd be a good idea to try and shed a few pounds before the season of mince pies and endless tempting sugary carbs  gets into full swing!

She's sorted for a bike but I'm looking to replace my Viking before I make cycling my main choice of commuting. 

I should probably get to the point now haha. The reason I want urgent advice is because I'd like to try and take advantage of the last black friday/cyber monday savings that are ending on this "Last Chance Tuesday" night. 

I want quality but not looking to spend that much more than £600. I've been scowering the sales and have narrowed it down to these three road bikes (which I assume is the best type of bike to go for for commuting haha). 

1) Cannondale Synapse Disc Tiagra 6 

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Cannondale-Synapse-Disc-Tiagra-6-2016-Road-Bike_...

2) Roux Bikes' Vercors R9  

http://www.rouxbikes.co.uk/vercors-r9/

3) 13 Intrinsic Beta Road Bike

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/road-bikes/13-intrinsic-beta-road-...

Which of these bikes would you guys suggest us the right one to go for? Any speedy advice would be greatly appreciated due to potentially saving a lot of moolah! 

Thanks in advance guys

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

17 comments

PeterCee | 7 years ago
0 likes

Or use HY/RD with a 50g weight penalty - but mighty stopping power and the easy life  of self adjusting calipers.

bendertherobot | 7 years ago
0 likes

The Dale is great but the discs aren't that good. Serviceable yes.

Swap them out for some Juin Tech R1 from Edgesports.

PeterCee | 7 years ago
0 likes

I've had exactly that Synapse for a year now as a winter bike.

It's only weakness is the promax brakes but they are easily swapped for TRP later on.

The bike will take 28mm Conti 4 seasons tyres with SKS Mudguards - Just !

dunnoh | 7 years ago
0 likes

If you are commuting make sure you get mudguards.   A lot of club riders ride the Ribble Audax winter bike.  The main thing is get something you love.  Makes it so much easier to go out on something you like.

hsiaolc | 7 years ago
0 likes

Hold your horses I would say. 

After christmas or new year you will get better deals. 

But if I have to choose from your list I will defnitly go for the Canonndale and I wouldn't even look at the other two. 

Personally I would suggest you to stretch your budget futher than you can imagin. If you are prepared to pay £600 then stretch it to £1000. 

For £1,000 you can get a lot for your money. 

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/category/bikes/cyclo-cross/product/rev...

And I will also look at Giant Defy as well. 

There are so many to choose at that level and something that I will be happy with. 

I went from £200 to £1200, to £2200 and now £3700 for my road bike.  

Imagin the money I could have saved if I just bought the £3700 first. 

fixit | 7 years ago
0 likes

I hope you did buy the cannondale, because the others are crap!! ( groupsetwise) . with the canonndale, the only crap is the brakes, but you can get a set of HY/RDs and have the best brakes possible!!

DrJDog | 7 years ago
0 likes

As far as I'm aware the synapse will take 28mm tyres at best and maybe not mudguards with that. And it doesn't have dedicated pannier mounting points. I ruled it out as a new commuter bike for those reasons. I'm getting a marin that can take 35mm tyres and guards and panniers with drop bars.

Dnnnnnn | 7 years ago
0 likes

You don't tell us anything about your commute - how far, what are the road surfaces like, what the climate's like where you are, will you need to carry much kit, etc. Difficult to say the best tool for the task if we aren't sure what the task is.

Cannondale's a good bike - but is it the right bike?

Yorkshire wallet | 7 years ago
1 like

LOL at buying a Viking......actually that was me once as well. 

I'd buy that Cannondale, Tiagra and discs, easy win. 

madcarew | 7 years ago
0 likes

Picking from the list, the cannondale is definitely the choice based on brand and performance. However, all the other caveats are in place. If you're going to hang on to this for a few years, the bike's suitability to what you want to do is far more important than a few quid saved. There'll be another big sale around the corner....

gonedownhill | 7 years ago
0 likes

I agree with club smed - something with slightly wider tyres than an out and out roadbike is better for commuting on in bad weather and poor roads.

This is on a black friday sale still - hydraulic disc brakes, mudguard and pannier compatible for £700:

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXLDNAPEX1HOT/planet-x-london-road-sram-a...

davel | 7 years ago
0 likes

Yeah, I'd be inclined to hold my horses, too - you've already rushed into one bike purchase. If you have the option of a cycle to work scheme via your employer, you could save as much/more as these deals and pay it off monthly. There'll still be deals on 2016 stock early next year and even bigger savings if you can fit them into c2w.

Do you really need it ASAP?

That said, if you need it now, and you're confident enough with the sizing, the Cannondale's cracking value at £600.

Acm | 7 years ago
0 likes

Definitely the Cannondale, but have a good look at the geometry (in particular the reach numbers) to check you're getting the right size. This isn't specifically for Cannondale bikes, just needs to be done whenever you buy a bike online

kil0ran | 7 years ago
1 like

One further thing - if you've only got room in your budget/life for one bike then definitely go with a road bike. Same if your commute is over 10 miles one-way as your hands will appreciate the extra positions offered by drop bars. However, for a dedicated commuter a flat-bar road bike will be cheaper and just as fast. You'll end up with a better spec for the same money as a drop bar bike, primarily because flat-bar shifters are cheaper than drop bar shifters.

ClubSmed replied to kil0ran | 7 years ago
1 like

kil0ran wrote:

One further thing - if you've only got room in your budget/life for one bike then definitely go with a road bike. Same if your commute is over 10 miles one-way as your hands will appreciate the extra positions offered by drop bars. However, for a dedicated commuter a flat-bar road bike will be cheaper and just as fast. You'll end up with a better spec for the same money as a drop bar bike, primarily because flat-bar shifters are cheaper than drop bar shifters.

I would slightly disagree with this statement, I would say that if you only had room for one bike it should be an adventure or tourer bike. You still get the drop handle bars for positioning but have the advantage of taking them slightly off road where needed. Also to addition of fittings for pannier racks are a very good idea for a bike mainly for commuting.

To the original question though I would caveat that rushing into a cyber-Monday deal may not be the best. What he needs to do is assess what it is that he does not like about his current bike and try a few out for size. There are so many factors that could be causing you issues that may not be fixed by just getting a more expensive and "better on paper" bike.

That said, if I had to pick from the list I would have gone for Cannondale.

kil0ran | 7 years ago
0 likes

Cannondale Synapse Disc - you'll appreciate the stopping power of the disc brakes the first time someone pops out of a T-junction in front of you #voiceofexperience. Looks like it will also take mudguards.

Da_Burb | 7 years ago
3 likes

Well, I'd go for one of the two with Tiagra (i.e. not the Intrinsic)  and I think I would opt for the Cannondale - a well-known and respected brand.  Think the Tiagra on the Cannondale is a more recent one as well, judging from the hidden cables.  Good luck

Latest Comments