Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

Office parking

I know this is very much #firstworldproblems, but still...

Caught the bus into work on Thursday.  I rode in on Friday and someone else in the building had parked on "my" bike rack in the office bike store (the rack I've locked to pretty much every day for the last two years, that had my heavy locks locked to it).

They'd obviously come in on Thursday, seen it was empty, and locked their bike there (odd anyway, as the racks are never all full).

But now the the bl**dy thing hasn't moved since then!  Grrrr surprise

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

14 comments

LarryDavidJr | 7 years ago
0 likes

I work in a small business park which has lots of different companies in.  There are only outside racks, and only one of those is sheltered.  There is, handily though, one right next to my ground floor window, which I choose to avoid having to keep putting on/taking off my cameras every day.  I seem to get here before pretty much every other cyclist so I get dibs!  I think leaving a lock there is pretty normal, no-one wants to lug a d-lock around

I also get the sight of one guy who comes barelling down the road (a small hill) and across the pavement to the racks every day at such a speed I'm sure that one day he's going to misjudge it and come through our window.  Must get the cameras set up for when that happens.

Beatnik69 | 7 years ago
1 like

one of my colleagues drives to work but leaves a bike chained up in the bike rack. He goes out on it at lunchtime.

LastBoyScout replied to Beatnik69 | 7 years ago
0 likes

Beatnik69 wrote:

one of my colleagues drives to work but leaves a bike chained up in the bike rack. He goes out on it at lunchtime.

I keep my hack bike chained up in the works racks for popping to the shops at lunchtime on the days when I have to drive in.

I also leave another lock hanging from one of the roof supports for the bike I use to ride in on.

Yorkshire wallet | 7 years ago
3 likes

Find out who it is.

Beat all his Strava sections.

Feel smuggly self-satisfied.

That showed him.

ClubSmed | 7 years ago
2 likes

For me people leaving locks on the cycle racks is becoming a bit of a bugbear with some of the racks becoming unusable at points as there are too many locks on them without bikes! I'm also sure by the state of some of the locks that the owner doesn't cycle and/or work here anymore

davel replied to ClubSmed | 7 years ago
2 likes
ClubSmed wrote:

For me people leaving locks on the cycle racks is becoming a bit of a bugbear with some of the racks becoming unusable at points as there are too many locks on them without bikes! I'm also sure by the state of some of the locks that the owner doesn't cycle and/or work here anymore

One of the companies I used to work at had separate bars, solely for locks - you weren't allowed to leave your locks on the actual racks. That worked really well, but they were top-notch facilities alongside secure underground parking.

My current workplace has outdoor racks. That necessitates some really strong (read 'heavy') locks. If I had to lug my two locks on my 30-mile round-trip commute I wouldn't cycle it. There are around 8 or 9 locks in residence on each Sheffield stand in the rack that I park at, and another two zombie bikes, missing wheels, that never move. I have a favourite stand but it's rare that I park there on consecutive days. Big deal.

Other people cycle to work. Rather than bemoaning that, appreciate the facilities you do have.

brooksby replied to ClubSmed | 7 years ago
0 likes

ClubSmed wrote:

Our bike store is in the basement of our building, access straight in from the car park at the back of the building.   Burglar alarm, locked door, and a locked outer gate, so pretty secure.

There are six racks, so twelve spaces.

There's one bike which hasn't moved for (literally!) months, even though it has a pair of gloves hanging off the rear rack and a helmet hanging from the handlebars.

Then three of the other racks have a single lock hanging on them (except mine, because I have two different locks).

Few of the people in the building cycle: on a typical day there are only four bikes down there, including mine and including the aforementioned home-alone bike.

I guess that was what was so galling - I do not believe for one moment that all of the racks happened to be full on the one day I didn't ride in.

(Deep breath, don't get stressed about it: "I am a leaf on the wind...").

Redvee | 7 years ago
1 like

I too am one of those that leaves a lock on a certain rack in the bikeshed in work, mainly cause the weight of the Abus chain is too heavy to be carrying back and forth everyday. Sometimes there is a bike on the otherside of the rack and I carefully lock my bike up making sure they can get their bike out and unlocked if it is without too much trouble. If someone choses to use the rack I prefer then I move down one rack. 

The reason I prefer to use the rack in the bikeshed that I use is that it is in the arc of the CCTV camera.

Reddleman | 7 years ago
2 likes

We have I think 12 racks at work which means 24 spaces but if you're not in early you'll struggle as most people cycle or walk in, summer or winter.  Mildly irritating as it can be, it still fills me with pride to see the full bike shed!

CygnusX1 | 7 years ago
1 like

Made me chuckle.
Been having the same issue with "my" spot (of 4 years) in the bike rack being squatted in by a Boardman CX that started showing up occasionally since this summer. It even had me setting off early to bag my place, but not seen the Cx for a few weeks so hopefully the battle is over for now.

ktache | 7 years ago
2 likes

Don't be too annoyed, this is how drivers view "their" parking space.  If you find out who it is , you then have a workmate you can talk abot cycling.

ConcordeCX | 7 years ago
6 likes

Maybe about two years ago he got to work one morning to find his rack had been nicked by someone just because he got the bus to work for once, and only now has it been vacated...

Morat | 7 years ago
3 likes

If it's still there in the morning you could help the guy out by adding an extra lock to stop it being stolen  3

brooksby replied to Morat | 7 years ago
0 likes

Morat wrote:

If it's still there in the morning you could help the guy out by adding an extra lock to stop it being stolen  3

angel yes I wish I had the nerve, frankly.

What makes it all the more galling is the interloper is a shiny white disc-braked Trek with a shiny clean chain, that looks like it's done about two miles *ever*, and those only on a sunny day.  Makes my old workhorse hybrid look like ****...

Latest Comments