Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Out of season - preparations for the weather ...

Hi All,

Following on from randomly surfing bike blogs yesterday, and noting some pictures of people cycling in the snow / icy conditions, can you share what you do (if you do ...) to your bike to feel safe cycling on snowy, icy, slippery roads?

I ask because last year I was put off cycling for the best part of a few weeks because of the treacherous road conditions, and I know some people cracked on with it ...

Cheers,

Tim.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

Tony Farrelly | 13 years ago
0 likes

not any more!

James Warrener | 13 years ago
0 likes

Spamtastic  4

Tony Farrelly | 13 years ago
0 likes

Last year studded tyres were hard to get in the UK, but no surpprise that after last winer CRC are stocking these http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=30212 and Wiggle are doing these http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Schwalbe_Marathon_Winter_Performance_R... and these http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Schwalbe_Snow_Stud_Performance_Kevlar_... will try and get some in to test… if conditions permit  1
You could be right though I stuck with Schwalbe Stelvio slicks last winter and only came off once on a really steeply cambered bit of road that cos it was dark I hadn't noticed had turned from crunchy snow to sheet ice - as I moved off the top line over I went - didn't hurt, but did put an expensive dent in my laptop. It might also be worth reading our guide to riding on ice and snow http://road.cc/content/feature/12090-roadccs-tips-riding-ice…-and-snow

timlennon | 13 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the tips - it's definitely for commuting. I saw some people talking about spiked tyres, etc., etc. and while I can see there might be a case for them, it seems an expensive and hassle-filled thing to do. Then again, better the expense than a major accident, no?

Fish_n_Chips | 13 years ago
0 likes

Buy a winter road/cx bike. I have a spare old Trek road bike with 25mm wet tyres, mudguards and its for mileage not speed.

Also buy some red/amber clothing instead of black so you're seen by drivers and not blending in. Then get some bright lights!

Personally I use my old mtb equipped as tourer in all weathers but heavy tyres are good training but you should not be training too hard in winter to avoid burn out in summer.

If you're not commuting then get yourself a turbo trainer, big tv and training/riding DVDs.
Why risk slipping on ice and breaking your legs?

I'm heading for the gym to jog, weights and cycle later.
Get rid of injuries, strengthen the core etc lose some lard lol.

Athlete first cyclist second.

wez | 13 years ago
0 likes

"get some desent gloves as well - you can't put the brakes on if you can't feel your fingers"

I agree totally with stuke here nothing worse than riding with frozen hands although i still haven't found the perfect set up/pair of gloves.

wez | 13 years ago
0 likes

As far as the last two years, which have been the worst winters we've had for a long time, not much to the bike itself. I had a pair of cheap Bell kevlar tyres from Asda on my old Raleigh Max which were great and just took it easy on my commute. Will definitely be using it again this year when the weather turns although i need a new set of tyres and Asda have stopped selling the Bell type i had. I could try my road bike but think that would be asking for a stay in hospital trying to get through snow and ice. Other than that just trying to keep everything clean and running right, road slush is a bike killer.

stuke replied to wez | 13 years ago
0 likes

As Wez said not much in terms of the bike. I use a Ribble Audax/Winter road bike for my commute year round and rode throughout the snow at the beginning of the year by sticking to the main roads. Make sure the bike gets a good clean and lubrication each week and when your riding keep everything smooth and plan well ahead. get some desent gloves as well - you can't put the brakes on if you can't feel your fingers

Latest Comments