Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Core Training for Winter

Can anyone recommend some body strength conditioning exercises/simple routine which I could do two or three times a week and would actually transfer to improving my cycling performance

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

HarryTrauts | 7 years ago
0 likes

+1 for Pilates.  

There is always Yoga, too, which is my preference, but they both have huge benefits for core strength.  Not all yoga is the same, though.  IMHO, Iyenga, which is about precision and holding the pose longer, is excellent.  You don't have to be very flexible as it also utilises props.

arfa | 7 years ago
1 like

Find yourself a local pilates class and repeat the session at will. If you're new to it you might be surprised at how tough it can be. My instructor regularly finds everyone's "break point" with her mantra of "pilates doesn't get harder, it just gets better"! It helps with core/back strength/flexibility, so it's perfect for improving cycling performance and yes, it often includes planks and press ups, just not in that sort of quantity ! You will notice the difference within a couple of weeks and you can always have a stronger core.

Jimmy Ray Will | 7 years ago
0 likes

But seriously.... 100 press ups? 

By the end of the winter I'll probably get up to 36 decent press ups completed in 3x sets of 12 as part of a wider core strength routine. 

I could not visualise ever being able to do 100! So, basically well done, I'm quite envious.

back on thread topic, 100 press ups are not in themselves necessary for peak cycling performance. As touched on, I can barely do 36, but actually, I have a pretty solid core. 

Core strength itself is fundamental to cycling performance however and is one of the biggest weaknesses I see in young riders coming through. Doing core strength work will definitely help your cycling, but its far more fun, and effective to bring in other activities into your life to achieve this. 

I was lucky, my adolescence was spent riding bikes, horses, trampolining (badly), playing tennis all of which helped me build a solid core... this is a lot easier to maintain than starting afresh. 

So my, 'do as I say not as I do', advice would be to find an additional activity that supports your core development but also provides a bit of fun. 

Jimmy Ray Will | 7 years ago
1 like

Ha ha ha...100 press ups... you do know you are talking to cyclists right?

brooksby replied to Jimmy Ray Will | 7 years ago
1 like

Jimmy Ray Will wrote:

My only real exercise is riding my bike. But like everyone I thought, I'm in ok fitness, aren't I? Was horrified when I discovered I couldn't  manage a single press up. Not one. Then I thought, Who needs upper body strength anyway? I work in an office...

CXR94Di2 replied to Jimmy Ray Will | 7 years ago
0 likes
Jimmy Ray Will wrote:

Unless you're a `grand tour` rider, having a strong upper body is beneficial, not just for cycling. Why else do core, back, neck exercises as well as others.

Besides my wife likes me to have muscles all over haha

ClubSmed replied to Jimmy Ray Will | 7 years ago
0 likes
Jimmy Ray Will wrote:

I do 100 press ups a day (50 first thing and 50 before bed). I started doing press ups as part of the 22 day challenge that I got nominated for and carried on and increased from there.

CXR94Di2 | 7 years ago
0 likes

Squats 3x15 reps start with body only until technique is learnt. Press ups 10x10 reps. Plank 2 mins or more. Ab roller 1x5 or more for ultimate core work out

Simon E | 7 years ago
0 likes

The Plank?

Or take a look at the road.cc Yoga for Cyclists series - http://road.cc/content/news/181616-yoga-cyclists-part-1-introduction

Latest Comments