Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Anyone had expereince of the current shape campag ergos cracking?

Hello All

Having had a current shape ergo snap after the lever body cracked, due to being tightened on to a bar with slightly too large a radius on the curved section I just wondered if this is something any one else has experienced - either on you own bike or those of friends, customers?

Thanks

Rich

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

2 comments

catchweasel | 7 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for your replies. The new shape levers certainly don't seem as resilient or forgiving as the old ergos which I've had on countless bars.

What is odd about my experience is that lever gave way on my bars causing me to crash and injure myself. I sent the broken lever back to the retailer who sent it back to the UK importer who informed me that the lever had failed as a result of the crash but fixed it free of charge and returned it to me. It struck me as odd at the time that the importer would just repair crash damage for free.

I would be very interested if you could expand on the known fact - are you speaking as someone in the industry?

I suspect there are a lot if people riding on levers that may potentially fail and I wouldn't want anyone to have to go through what I went through if this is a known problem.

Thanks again.

Rich

mike the bike | 7 years ago
0 likes

It's a known fact.  The last time I bought a Campag' groupset (from Parkers, remember them?) the guy on the phone warned me about ensuring the whole of the plastic clamp was in contact with the bars.  

Since then I have heard of, but not seen, Shimano 105 suffering the same fate.  Best of luck.

Latest Comments