Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Osprey backpack: reinforcing patches?

I recently got an Osprey Synchro 20.
The general finish is excellent. smiley

Inside, however, there are two rough-cut patches that look like end-of-seam sewing reinforcements.  The material seems to have been roughly clipped from scraps of the thin partitioning nylon fabric used inside the bag. The patches are fixed only by, relative to them, the central seam stitiching.  The edges are loose. As far as I can tell, the fabric is not self-edging and looks like it will soon fray and become a dust magnet. 

Have any other Osprey owners noticed this kind of thing in their bags?
Have I been sent a second or something that slipped through quality control?
If I keep the bag, would it be good idea to sear the edges of the patches?

Thanks for reading this far... 
If you take a peek inside your pack and tell me what you see,
I'd appreciate your observations.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

arckuk | 7 years ago
0 likes

It looks like the design of the 20 is a bit different, or the layout has changed slightly over the years!

Enjoy the rides, and stay cool.

OmuGuy | 7 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the reassurance arcuk.

Maybe the S20 has another compartment? 
Keeping sweat away from the bag was my main concern.
I wear wicking clothes (Uniqlo Dry and DryEx T-shirt base layers: both get many thumbs up from me) and don't usually notice wetness on my body.
If I stop for any length of time, sweat pours off my scalp.
I live in Japan and have been known to cycle 80 km with the air temperature rising  to 36 degrees C.
One day, the day I found out about hyponatraemia, I flushed at least 12 liters of water through my body.
I have so far only once ridden with a pack. By the time I got home, a booklet inside was sopping wet. The temperature didn't rise about 27 that day. That's why I wanted the Syncro.
The interior patches still look a bit shoddy to me.
I haven't used the pack and the patch in the top photo is already fraying.
I might just trim the patches down more neatly and singe the edges with a flame. 
OTOH, that kind of thing might void the warranty!

The patch you couldn't find on the S15 is in the middle compartment. There's a single zip that does for two compartments.
Here, you can see a thread hanging off the bottom lefthand corner of the scrap of material used for reinforcement.

arckuk | 7 years ago
0 likes

My now slightly worn, but much loved 3? year old Synchro 15 has a similar tag to the one you show in your second pic (between the top pocket and the outside of the bag), only it's slightly smaller, neater and round. It hasn't frayed at all. I can't work out where your first location is, but I didn't spot another one - perhaps they've found another place that is helped by reinforcement in the meantime.

I wouldn't worry about it, it's an excellent bag that has done fantastically well on my daily commute over the last 3 years, and has all the right bits without overdoing it. It's also great in warmer months in that it doesn't make my back all sweaty when I'm on a fast lap of the park on the way home. I'd replace it with the marginally larger 20 litre model you have if I had to choose again, but it's pretty much perfect for my commuting needs!

OmuGuy | 7 years ago
0 likes

And the other one...

OmuGuy | 7 years ago
0 likes

Here are pics of what I tried to describe.

Latest Comments