Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

petition to PM

I came across this stupid petition on Facebook as a cycling mate had posted a link to it. Of course it's the usual guff about cyclists not paying road tax, being licenced or insured. I expect a few people might want to point out the inaccuracies in the person's thinking by posting in the comments section:

https://www.change.org/p/theresa-may-mp-cyclists-to-hold-insurance-and-p...

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

24 comments

Leviathan | 7 years ago
1 like

I don't have a car or a driver's licence. I am a 'Golden' Cyclist. I do pay Income tax, Council Tax, VAT etc.

wycombewheeler | 7 years ago
1 like

Link seems to be to a petition about insurance for cyclists with a bit of a ramble about cycle lanes.

I'm all for insurance for cyclists. Really it is so cheap there's no reason not to. But the point in the petitoon is wrong - lack of insurance does not prevent you being liable for damage. A fact many drivers can't get their head around. Insurance protects yhe insured, others already have the right to recompense from the cyclist.

Also you are more likely to be hit by an uninsured driver than an uninsured cyclist.

psling replied to wycombewheeler | 7 years ago
0 likes

wycombewheeler wrote:

Link seems to be to a petition about insurance for cyclists with a bit of a ramble about cycle lanes.

It would appear that the wording of the petition has been updated (to remove reference to "Road Tax" after comments made.

Road.cc are running a new feature on the front page now.

Must be Mad | 7 years ago
0 likes

Quote:

Is this what Post truth society looks like? With facts often so immediately available, people now ignore any and all arguments apart from the angle of truth  they want to hear...

Yep, that's about the size of it.

Must be Mad | 7 years ago
0 likes

Quote:

Just my own experience but I would say that the proportion of cyclists ignoring (or not even seeming to register the existence of) red lights is massively higher than motor vehicle drivers - not entirely surprising in one regard as it's hard to 'sneak' a Volvo across a junction without causing a minor war to break out..

My experiences are the opposite - I genuinly see more cars jump red lights than I see cyclists do.

srchar | 7 years ago
2 likes

Sigh.

Anyone would think that people who ride bikes do so as their sole mode of transportation. I can't remember the exact stat but it's something like 80% of all cyclists (including under 17s) hold a driving licence.

I am willing to bet money that a scientific study of the driving ability of those who cycle on public roads vs those who don't would show that cyclists are better drivers. More aware of hazards, more defensive, less aggressive and look a bit further ahead than the end of their own bonnet.

As for the road tax argument, I tax 950g/km worth of cars annually; I bet I pay more road tax than any of the people who've signed this petition.

Owen is a sad man, has probably not done as well for himself as he expected, so he takes his frustration out on people who are more vulnerable than himself. Which, given that he only feels powerful when he's behind the wheel of a car, = cyclists.

Alfa a | 7 years ago
4 likes

haha, having read my post back it does seem a bit cycling elitist!  I was putting inverted commas around proper and cyclists as it doesn't apply to all and it is just a very general statement.  I've obviously been reading too much tabloid press!!  Apologies!

Too be honest for every tw*t on a bike you get a tw*t in a car...

wycombewheeler replied to Alfa a | 7 years ago
1 like
Alfa a wrote:

haha, having read my post back it does seem a bit cycling elitist!  I was putting inverted commas around proper and cyclists as it doesn't apply to all and it is just a very general statement.  I've obviously been reading too much tabloid press!!  Apologies!

Too be honest for every tw*t on a bike you get a tw*t in a car...

Exactly there are reasonable safe road users and there are aggressive or impatient or careless road users. Personally I'd rather all those dangerous types were on bikes than in cars

tritecommentbot | 7 years ago
3 likes

Sounds like he got spanked by WMP and is having a huff about it 

Alfa a | 7 years ago
0 likes

I live in Cambridge and there is a major problem with 'cyclists' not understanding that the rules of the road apply to them.  This is mostly your everyday commuter/drunk doing this and I haven't seen any 'proper' cyclists doing it but it is a major annoyance and very dangerous.  I have had cyclists crash into my car when they have run red lights and a friend of mine was crossing a zebra crossing and got wiped out by a guy cycling on his phone...  This petition is way over the top but I do think that police need to be more vigilent in regards to 'cyclists' road use.

I've never understood the argument of taxing cyclists who don't pollute the environment, wear away the roads, get to use motorways, damage infrastructure, throw rubbish out of windows.  If anything the avid driver should be thankful there's not another car to have to queue behind!

FluffyKittenofT... replied to Alfa a | 7 years ago
2 likes
Alfa a wrote:

I live in Cambridge and there is a major problem with 'cyclists' not understanding that the rules of the road apply to them.  This is mostly your everyday commuter/drunk doing this and I haven't seen any 'proper' cyclists doing it but it is a major annoyance and very dangerous.  I have had cyclists crash into my car when they have run red lights and a friend of mine was crossing a zebra crossing and got wiped out by a guy cycling on his phone...  This petition is way over the top but I do think that police need to be more vigilent in regards to 'cyclists' road use.

I don't even agree with that (more moderate) idea. In an ideal world I'd be fine with it, but in this world the police have limited resources, and its a matter of priorities.

As a pedestrian I can handle irritating scrotes riding on the pavement or ignoring zebras. Mostly they are just arrogant youths (who can't be that brave or they'd be on the road). I find just refusing to get out of the way or glaring at them is enough to make the point (one day I might encounter one who is carrying a knife and come to regret it, of course).

What I would rather the police do something about are all the motorists who also ignore zebra crossings and even light-controlled ones. Those guys I can't handle on my own, both because they are in fast-moving armoured boxes and can't even hear me shouting at them, and because they tend to be older and significantly harder-looking than their younger siblings on bikes!

Seriously, many drivers seem to have entirely forgotten what zebra crossings are. Not only do they not stop when you are clearly waiting to cross, but they really don't like it if you force them to do so by actually stepping out (which, weirdly, is what legally you are supposed to do). I've had them shout abuse at me for it. And several times I've had one only just stop in time and then noticed they were busy texting with a phone in their lap.

Drivers pay little more attention to red lights at crossings than do cyclists.

brooksby replied to FluffyKittenofTindalos | 7 years ago
2 likes

FluffyKittenofTindalos wrote:

Seriously, many drivers seem to have entirely forgotten what zebra crossings are. Not only do they not stop when you are clearly waiting to cross, but they really don't like it if you force them to do so by actually stepping out (which, weirdly, is what legally you are supposed to do). I've had them shout abuse at me for it.

This; very much this.

fukawitribe replied to FluffyKittenofTindalos | 7 years ago
0 likes

FluffyKittenofTindalos][quote=Alfa a wrote:

I agree with a lot of what you say, although I don't experience the level of zebra issues you have, but this last line is something i've not seen anywhere in the country. Just my own experience but I would say that the proportion of cyclists ignoring (or not even seeming to register the existence of) red lights is massively higher than motor vehicle drivers - not entirely surprising in one regard as it's hard to 'sneak' a Volvo across a junction without causing a minor war to break out..

oldstrath replied to fukawitribe | 7 years ago
2 likes

fukawitribe]</p>

<p>[quote=FluffyKittenofTindalos wrote:

Alfa a wrote:

I agree with a lot of what you say, although I don't experience the level of zebra issues you have, but this last line is something i've not seen anywhere in the country. Just my own experience but I would say that the proportion of cyclists ignoring (or not even seeming to register the existence of) red lights is massively higher than motor vehicle drivers - not entirely surprising in one regard as it's hard to 'sneak' a Volvo across a junction without causing a minor war to break out..

I think the 'bad behavuiour' forms are different. Cyclists probably more likely to ride through mid-cycle if they think nothing is coming, cars more likely to 'amber gamble' and sprint through 'as the lights are changing'.

fukawitribe replied to oldstrath | 7 years ago
0 likes

oldstrath]</p>

<p>[quote=fukawitribe wrote:

Alfa a wrote:

I think the 'bad behavuiour' forms are different. Cyclists probably more likely to ride through mid-cycle if they think nothing is coming, cars more likely to 'amber gamble' and sprint through 'as the lights are changing'.

Aye, agreed - that's partly what I meant by the last bit, no mid-cycle motorists. The added danger with the amber gamblers is that, as you say, they tend to speed up - so any potential damage is increased. As for the cyclists - it's a mish-mash that I see, especially in the city centre (Bristol).. some mid-cycle going carefully, looking for some space - some, mostly couriers, looking but then belting through - some others just seem to be staring off into space out front and very calmly just riding straight through at any point in the cycle... tempting to say the last group seem to be students but i've no idea to be honest, quite un-nerving to watch the serenity of them sometimes though.

FluffyKittenofT... replied to fukawitribe | 7 years ago
0 likes
fukawitribe]<p>[quote=oldstrath wrote:

fukawitribe wrote:

Alfa a wrote:

Aye, agreed - that's partly what I meant by the last bit, no mid-cycle motorists. The added danger with the amber gamblers is that, as you say, they tend to speed up - so any potential damage is increased. As for the cyclists - it's a mish-mash that I see, especially in the city centre (Bristol).. some mid-cycle going carefully, looking for some space - some, mostly couriers, looking but then belting through - some others just seem to be staring off into space out front and very calmly just riding straight through at any point in the cycle... tempting to say the last group seem to be students but i've no idea to be honest, quite un-nerving to watch the serenity of them sometimes though.

Mostly I mean failed amber gamblers. But I encounter a surprisingly high number of blatent mid-cycle red-jumper drivers as well. Sometimes on the wrong side of the road or turning from the wrong lane, where they've just suddenly decided they can't be arsed queueing at the lights if they can't see any cross traffic and its 'just a few pedestrians'. I think its getting worse, It's like there's like a core of drivers for whom ignoring such rules is a form of showing off.

Also, you have to consider the proportion who do it relative to those who have the opportunity. As cyclists can filter they usually have the option of RLJing. But only motorists at the front of the queue have the option (apart from those who just go on the wrong side of the road), so the proportion of those who do is higher than it seems.

Also, different towns presumably have motorists and cyclists with different temperaments.

ClubSmed replied to fukawitribe | 7 years ago
1 like

fukawitribe]</p>

<p>[quote=FluffyKittenofTindalos wrote:

Alfa a wrote:

There are a lot of cyclists who ignore red lights but as over 80% of cyclists also have access to a car it should follow that they have passed their driving test. This logically draws us to the conclusion that ignorance of the rule is not what is causing cyclists to ignore red lights so there for forcing a cycling test is not going to help the issue. I think that the cause should be investigated if they want to stop it, trying to solve a symptom is always just a waste of time and money.

Personally I do not as a general rule run red lights, except for one. There is an access road that leads on to a main road near where I live and this is controlled by traffic lights. The set of lights on the access road has a motion detector on top so it does not interrupt the main flow of traffic just for the sake of it. The problem here though is that the motion detector does not recognise cyclists so if I want to get out of this junction I need to either wait for a car to appear behind me (who knows how long that could take) or safely run the red light. I could see how someone encountering several of these types of lights could get into a habit and just start to ignore all traffic lights.

That is just an example of how I think this mentality could come about, there must be many others (including people just being idiots regardless of being in a car or on a bike) but until we fully understand the reasons we can't effectively educate against it.

Just my 2p worth  3

brooksby replied to Alfa a | 7 years ago
4 likes

Alfa a wrote:

This is mostly your everyday commuter/drunk doing this and I haven't seen any 'proper' cyclists doing it ...

Look - we're all just folks, OK.   I'm a commuter not a roadie, and I seriously resent the implication that I'm not a 'proper' cyclist 

psling replied to brooksby | 7 years ago
4 likes

brooksby wrote:

Alfa a wrote:

This is mostly your everyday commuter/drunk doing this and I haven't seen any 'proper' cyclists doing it ...

Look - we're all just folks, OK.   I'm a commuter not a roadie, and I seriously resent the implication that I'm not a 'proper' cyclist 

And I'm a drunk and seriously resemble that implication too, hic.

Jimmy Ray Will | 7 years ago
2 likes

What gets me... is that you can provide a sound argument in response to this proposals and its supporting comments, and people just completely ignore it.

Is this what Post truth society looks like? With facts often so immediately available, people now ignore any and all arguments apart from the angle of truth  they want to hear... 

"Don't let facts get in the way of a good story?"

"No one wants to listen to the opinions of experts anymore..."

Etc etc etc...

I did like one comment on the petition that was saying yes, lets get this discussed and dismiss this road tax bullshit once and for all. 

shay cycles replied to Jimmy Ray Will | 7 years ago
0 likes

Jimmy Ray Will wrote:

What gets me... is that you can provide a sound argument in response to this proposals and its supporting comments, and people just completely ignore it.

"Don't let facts get in the way of a good story?"

"No one wants to listen to the opinions of experts anymore..."

Etc etc etc...

I did like one comment on the petition that was saying yes, lets get this discussed and dismiss this road tax bullshit once and for all. 

According to Radio4 this morning the Oxford Dictionary have just announced "Post-truth" as their word of the year.

Well said and well done for using the new word in context  3

Podc | 7 years ago
2 likes
psling | 7 years ago
1 like

Does the (M9) mean he is Male, age 9? Certainly reads as if written by a child.

Also worrying that nearly 15,000 people have already signed the petition despite all the inaccuracies in it.

But, what about the attached photo?! Bike jumping the red light, car in the ASL box....

Kapelmuur | 7 years ago
2 likes

Depressing to continue reading entries about cyclists requiring 'Road Tax' coming after dozens of comments advising that the tax does not exist and explaining about VED.

There should be a petition for drivers to pass IQ tests.

Latest Comments