Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

paris-roubaix

Hi all,after your thoughts on which way to proceed.I have got an ac seperation grade 4 of the collarbone(big bump)I have booked to ride the paris-roubaix sportif the day before the pro ride approx 104 miles,I have been told earliest operation will be feb 2017,would you cancel an appointment before the sportif(april) and do ride as I am now or would this be stupid ?Would I be doing more damage ?

Other alternative is to cancel sportif and go for the year after 2018.

All replies gratefully appreciated.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

Steve7 | 7 years ago
1 like

thanks for all replies,will get surgery then see if I still want to do year after

Anyone seen my ... (not verified) | 7 years ago
1 like

This is a truly amazing event and riding around the Velodrome and taking a shower in the old block complete with a previous winners name plate is an unforgettable experience.  I chose Bernard Hinault's as that what I felt about the cobbles when I'd finished.  In terms of your condition, I'd echo many of the above comments.  You can't prepare for the PR cobbles in the UK so you'll be in a lot of pain if you're not fully healed.  If it rains, or it's damp / muddy - which, let's face it, is likely - you'll come across plenty of crashes and there's a fair chance that if you don't have your own, you could get taken out.   There's also a July event run by the Roubaix Velo Club every other year...do that instead.  Best of luck.

Zebulebu | 7 years ago
1 like

Great event, but if you do it with a busted collarbone you're mental. I got pinged about all over the place and I'd imagine with an aching collarbone you'd probably wish you were dead after the Arenberg.

Do it the year after, when you're more likely to 'enjoy' it

yuggyp | 7 years ago
2 likes

Hi Steve7

I took a group of cyclists out for this event earlier this year,

They were a mixed bag of abilities but all bar one completed the event, some long and some medium... However all said how hard it was and that it shook their bones! Mst fell off at some point because of the damp sections, it didn't rain as such! 

I don't know if you've seen the cobbled sections in real life but they are nthing like any cobbles in the UK!

I think you should postpone and get fixed but I think you probably know that 

Good luck with it all whatever you do,

Guy

ps. Its a truly amazing event to do when you do do it  4

paulrattew | 7 years ago
1 like

The Paris Roubaix sportive is not going away. Sort your body out then tackle PR in 2018.

Butty | 7 years ago
0 likes

I've found that the P to R will amplify any weak spots on your bike or your body and will do its damnest to stop you.

Add rain to the equation and you are very likely to take a tumble.

I think I would be aiming to be fit for 2018.

Latest Comments