2011 Sportives: Paris - Roubaix or L'Etape du Tour?

by gandberg   August 4, 2010  

So, which one would be hardest. The P-R course is 269km, compared to about 180km for the etape (I know the stage hasnt been announced yet)

But which would be toughest? No real climbs in the P-R but longer with not much chance to rest going down mountains like you can on the etape. The P-R is in April which means lots of training over the winter. Hmm...

12 user comments

Oldest firstNewest firstBest rated

I have no desire to do the Etape or Marmotte so I'd suggest Paris-Roubaix, or Ronde van Vlaanderen.

If you want degrees of difficulty I reckon riding over those cobbles makes up for the mountains.

I also think it's good to 'support' the classics. In my view the main reason I never liked Lance Armstrong was that he placed the Tour in the public perception as the be-all and end-all of cycling.

Is it about a bicycle ?

abudhabiChris's picture

posted by abudhabiChris [445 posts]
4th August 2010 - 9:55

like this
Like (0)

plenty of other great events in that france too, this is one of my particular faves:

www.ardechoise.com

Dave Atkinson's picture

posted by Dave Atkinson [6672 posts]
4th August 2010 - 10:03

like this
Like (0)

Is the ASO Paris-Roubaix event confirmed, then? I'd heard rumours but can't find any official information. Link much appreciated if you have one!

posted by kilotango [7 posts]
4th August 2010 - 10:06

like this
Like (0)

Why not do both?

The Good Shepherd's picture

posted by The Good Shepherd [54 posts]
4th August 2010 - 11:39

like this
Like (0)

This one is good too Smile

purplecup's picture

posted by purplecup [228 posts]
4th August 2010 - 11:54

like this
Like (0)

It's Paris-Brest-Paris year next year

So join AUK now and start qualifying in January

Paris - Brest - Paris has been running as an event since 1891, pre dating Le Tour. It is 1200km and the public give the riders a great reception, standing and cheering in the middle of the night and setting up tables giving out coffees

I did it last time in 2007 and the weather was the worst in 50 years, so we are due a better one this time Smile

Official info here

vorsprung's picture

posted by vorsprung [253 posts]
4th August 2010 - 13:40

like this
Like (0)

i might go for it in 2015 Smile

Dave Atkinson's picture

posted by Dave Atkinson [6672 posts]
4th August 2010 - 13:41

like this
Like (0)

That Bernard Hinault event is the sort of thing I tend to like doing. This year I did a very small one called Le Meusienne, over near Verdun sort of way.

Not a big event at all but that was part of the charm - the registration was in someone's front room in a tiny village.

But come the day of the ride it was a pretty serious business up front.

I also like doing them in northern France or Belgium so you can get over and back in three days. The Ardechoise is fantastic but it's a long way for a single ride - I'd only do it again if I could do the three or four day version.

What's good about the Hinault ride ?

Is it about a bicycle ?

abudhabiChris's picture

posted by abudhabiChris [445 posts]
4th August 2010 - 16:47

like this
Like (0)

If you do the Paris-Roubaix sportive, do it on a cheap steel frame. Much more comfortable. The pros might use 3000 quid crabon-fibre superbikes, but they get'em for free and, for them, every little advantage counts. If the countless miles of punishing cobbles cause you do a Hincapie, at least your best bike will still be safely tucked up at home.

posted by handlebarcam [527 posts]
4th August 2010 - 18:17

like this
Like (0)

Depends on how hard you ride the likes of RvV or P-Rx - ridden both a few times and enjoyed them a lot more than L'etape. I've taken hardened Etapists and Ironmen to P-Rx - they found it far harder - particularly if you ride every secteur like it should be ridden - full-bore and down the middle! I enjoy the Veloclub Roubaix P-Rx event for it's informality - not sure I fancy hitting Arenbereg when there's 10,000 other riders on the course which is what I expect an ASO event would turn into. There's also the charm of riding through quiet villages at dawn in a small group.

Make mine an Italian with Campagnolo on the side

posted by monty dog [303 posts]
10th August 2010 - 19:41

like this
Like (0)