Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

New bike cycle 2 work Halfords scheme

Evening all, I'm looking for some advice as I keep continually changing my mind. 

Looking for a bike that ideally weighs less than ten kilos, mango point Ar 105 is 10.6 that's my upper limit decent disc brakes, sram rival/105 type spec able to take full mudguards and a rack with a 28c tyre 50/34 and 11/12 -32 basically this will become my winter bike/tourer. Having to justify this to the long haired sgt major hence the list. A non press fit BB would be an added bonus. I am stuck between the Mango and the cube attain at the moment. Any suggestions welcome. 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

Redvee | 7 years ago
1 like

My C2W bike came from a LBS that accepted Halford vouchers, give the C2W provider and ask for a list of shops that will accept Halfords vouchers. From the list I was given I had a look at the shops' websites then the brands that shops sold. I ended up with a £1100 bike for my £1k voucher along with free guards and rack.

BrokenBootneck | 7 years ago
0 likes

If anyone is interested you can use tredz and Mango without an additional fee. 

jollygoodvelo | 7 years ago
0 likes

The new CX is a bit different to the 2014, but fine.  

I've got a 2014 one and have been running 25mm tyres for years.  Since I swapped the brakes for TRP Spyres, and the BB for a BSA adaptor with Tiagra chainset it's a perfect commuter.

BrokenBootneck | 7 years ago
1 like

I've had 3 of the old cx teams 2014 and a whole multitude of problems. Not sure I could bring myself to get another Boardman cx

Jack Osbourne snr replied to BrokenBootneck | 7 years ago
0 likes
BrokenBootneck wrote:

I've had 3 of the old cx teams 2014 and a whole multitude of problems. Not sure I could bring myself to get another Boardman cx

The CX Team was my first thought until I realised it was you posting the question!

My C2W window just closed and I didn't see anything to outgun my CX for the money.

As I've said elsewhere, I bought a px Kaffenback frame and transplanted the kit from my old and scuffed Boardman Hybrid so that it felt like I'd got a new bike.

Sorry I'm no use on this occasion.

BrokenBootneck replied to Jack Osbourne snr | 7 years ago
0 likes

Jack Osbourne snr wrote:
BrokenBootneck wrote:

The CX Team was my first thought until I realised it was you posting the question! My C2W window just closed and I didn't see anything to outgun my CX for the money. As I've said elsewhere, I bought a px Kaffenback frame and transplanted the kit from my old and scuffed Boardman Hybrid so that it felt like I'd got a new bike. Sorry I'm no use on this occasion.

Cheers anyway, I'm due another BB on the Boardman, the free hub is noisy as hell and there are no mudguard eyelets on the front either. The new crud racer mudguards look good but still not sure about keeping it and trying to sort the problems and upgrading the brakes from the stock bb5s.

Looking for Black Friday deals "hopefully"

jollygoodvelo | 7 years ago
1 like

Get the CX Team.  1x11 drivetrain (44 front, 10x42 rear) and hydraulics.  http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/road-bikes/boardman-cx-team-bike

Pick up a set of 25/28mm slicks for on-road and you're done.

pruaga replied to jollygoodvelo | 7 years ago
0 likes

jollygoodvelo wrote:

Get the CX Team.  1x11 drivetrain (44 front, 10x42 rear) and hydraulics.  http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/road-bikes/boardman-cx-team-bike

Pick up a set of 25/28mm slicks for on-road and you're done.

I ride a CX Team as a commuter, but that is a mixture of fire trails and road so I've stuck with the original tyres.  I have ridden it with 28 mm slicks, I don't think you could fit 25 mm on, and it handled a 100 km ride (Reading Roubaix) just fine.  Only possible complaint is that the gearing isn't great for cruising on road at decent speed, but it's a good fun bike that I've recommended on here a few times before.  Usual caveats about Halfords assembly quality aside, it's been a cracking bike.

Latest Comments