Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Online training setup

Ok I have a Shwinn elite spin bike and a Garmin 800 computer.Is there a way to use it with trainer road Zwift etcThere is no power measure but I have heart rate with ant.What will I need to use my set up online?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

2 comments

tritecommentbot | 7 years ago
0 likes

It's hard to get speed set up on it. I've tried and yes you can make it happen. I taped a magnet to the flywheel, and the sensor on the legs. Tricky trying to get it right but it's just like the older style speed sensors you used to stick on your spokes, in principle. Then you have to measure the flywheel for the calculation.

Fell apart all the time though. You'd have to superglue the bits on I think to make it more robust. 

Love how rock solid the spin bike is, but gave up and ordered a smart trainer to play Zwift. 

Really, consider selling the spin bike and using it to fund even a cheaper smart trainer. I'm keeping both for a reason, but if my situation was different, (ie. just one rider in the home), then I'd have sold the spin bike to fund the smart trainer. 

CXR94Di2 | 7 years ago
0 likes

You could add a cadence and speed sensors (Ant+)   There is a virtual mode in zwift.  If your trainer is manual adjust of resistance, just set it to a comfortable postion and ride around with other in virtual world.  

Online training becomes alot more realistic with decent 'Smart' trainer with variable resistance.  Alot now have proper power meters, speed and cadence sensors built in.  If you decide to upgrade, ensure your new trainer has F-EC protocol. 

My recommend for makes are

Wahoo  Kickr

Tacx Neo

Bkool(A must, if you want to race against others on Bkool)

Latest Comments