Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Giant Defy Mudguards

I have a Giant TCR Advanced and decided to buy a winter bike that I could mount mudguards to.

I have bought a second hand 2015 Giant Defy 0. It is a nice bike with Ultegra like my TCR.

I ordered some Giant Speedshield mudguards that are specific to the Defy Aluxx.

I have put the guards in place and it is obvious that they don't fit. The lower frame anchorage will sit right on top of the front derailleur cable.

The seat stays on the 2015 and onwards are lower and was wondering if the mudguard design hadn't been changes to suit.

Has anyone fitted mudguards to a Giant Defy that is the 2015 model or newer. If so what ones actually fit.

Here's some pictures so you can see what I mean.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

11 comments

Accessibility f... | 7 years ago
0 likes

Mudguards are one of those bike inventions that seem to lack thought.  They're very fiddly to install and have led to many a bike flying through many a window.

I suggest you install them as best you can, and where you find conflict, get the hacksaw out.  There appears to be a bolt hole on the seat tube, use that in lieu of the fancy clip.

rapid4 | 7 years ago
0 likes

I got through 2 sets of Giant mudguards on my Giant rapid- both of them didn't really fit so failed pretty quickly, I'm now running Crud Roadracer II. 

The _Kaner | 7 years ago
0 likes

I have recently 'fitted' the Speedshield universal 'fenders' to a disc Defy Adv 2

Instructions..pah. I'd have been better using the instructions for an Ikea shelf set

Rear took an age  - and a few new swear words that I invented...

The front, well in terms of being a fitted mudguard...it's not going to be guarding against any mud...as it is going in the bin...

Universal  - my left foot!

Sensible | 7 years ago
0 likes

Spoke to a few Giant retailers and it seems like a common problem. They suggested cutting off the end of the mudguard where it is over the cable which would include cutting off the end bracket. Then using the threaded hole at the back of the frame securing the mudguard to that with a long bolt and spacer. Looks like I have some DIY to do.

rnick | 7 years ago
0 likes

Raceblades fitted my wife's giant avail....giant's own fenders would not fit.

Neiljbg | 7 years ago
0 likes

Had the same issue on my Defy (2016) ....fittied the mudguards and slightly offset it by the front derailleur cable and so far no problems.

Sensible | 7 years ago
0 likes

Sensible | 7 years ago
0 likes

Sensible | 7 years ago
0 likes

Sensible | 7 years ago
0 likes

Sensible | 7 years ago
0 likes

See pics

Latest Comments