Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Quick drying towel

Hello all,

I've just moved from London to Edinburgh and my new office unfortunately doesn't have the same level of facilities as previously. There are showers on each of the floors of the building though so I'd still like to cycle to work but the only issue is that no towels are provided and it's a shared building so I can't leave my stuff on my bike. I can get around most of the issues but I was wondering whether anyone had any recommendations of quick drying towels that I can use in the morning and then chuck in my bag for the rest of the day without it or my bag going mouldy or smelling horrendous? Also, when manufacturers state that a towel is "quick drying", what, in real terms, does that mean? 

Thanks in advance,

AST

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

15 comments

Crashboy | 7 years ago
1 like

Microfibre towels as described above in my experience (and I've had 4 or 5 different ones over the years- even the cheaper ones from Aldi, and Mountain Warehouse) are the business: in a warmish airy room, mine dries in under an hour, even camping etc I have found I can get away with a small one too.

However, I Totally agree with Jack Osbourne snr above with one addition: babywipes!

Massive pack of aldi own brands, no real perfume, can be used to freshen all parts, and are good for getting road debris off your shins before putting trousers on.  (and they have zillions of cleaning uses - the bike, the computer/phone/tablet, your specs, your kit, they shift mud / grime / oil+ almost anything!!)

Routine without a shower is: 

• Quick wipe with microfibre towel if super sweaty.
  • babywipe pits and bits  cheeky
  • Clean undercrackers / blast of deo, clean shirt, bingo.

I drive in once a week and stash a stock of underwear / Shirt / suit  (i'm lucky I have cupboard to hang them in ).  Doing this  the Towel lasts a couple of days easily (if I air it properly) before it starts to get a bit fusty.

riotgibbon | 7 years ago
1 like

always shower. Stride around in your tightest lycra, meeting and holding everyone's eye. Say, "yes, that colour you can see me wearing is bright pink, you noticed it, that's the point"

dry yourself with one of these: http://www.blacks.co.uk/equipment/077875-eurohike-suede-microfibre-trave...

cycle-commuting life ..

huntswheelers | 7 years ago
0 likes

Decathlon....yes them again.... Swim towel...we use them for when we use the Campervan and travelling

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/microfibre-towel-xl-grey-id_8361627.html

They are huge towels which fold small, quick dry, easy to wash too.... plenty of colours...link is for the Grey one

Alessandro | 7 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for all of your replies - I think some sort of microfibre towel sounds as though it will be the best way forward. 

Regarding not showering when I get to work: my commute, if I went directly from house to office, would only be around 2km and not worthwhile doing so my plan is to do a few laps of Arthur's Seat first before arriving at work and so a shower would definitely be essential if I want to maintain any friendly relations in the office. 

Jack Osbourne snr | 7 years ago
0 likes

I don't shower when I arrive at the office either.

Shower at home before leaving then put on (this is key) clean kit. Get to work, bit if deodorant and get into clean civvies. Never had a complaint.

If the cycling gear isn't bacteria free, you'll end up minging unless you have proper wash. Unless of course, you are lucky enough not to sweat like a fat bloke the way I do... Even though I'm not fat!

alexb | 7 years ago
1 like

I don't even bother with showeringat work. I shower when I get up in the morning, then change directly into my cycling kit.

I have a complete change of work clothes at work and apart from a quick face rinse in the sink, I don't wash after I get in.

All my cycling kit comes off, gets hung up to dry and a complete set of clean, dry clothes from my locker goes on.

I bring the clean clothes in, neatly folded, a few times a week and take the stuff to be washed home on the other days.

Works well for me.

surly_by_name replied to alexb | 7 years ago
0 likes

alexb wrote:

I don't even bother with showeringat work.

Gross.

Johnnyvee | 7 years ago
0 likes

I can vouch for the Decathlon ones - they dry quickly in most locations around our office and there's a store in Edinburgh.
They usually have them on offer.

CygnusX1 | 7 years ago
0 likes

These work well and dry fairly quickly - range of colours and sizes available.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/microfibre-swimming-towel-110x180cm-blue-id_8180468.html

The towel rail in the office changing rooms has several of them, so its not just me who thinks so. If you are hanging up on a coat hook/draping over the office chair then they will be dry by the afternoon.      

davel | 7 years ago
0 likes

Another +1 for microfibre here.

They pack v small and I whack mine in a carrier bag with my worn kit in my rucksack after a shower (I take a change of kit).

Back home, at the end of the day, that carrier bag doesn't smell too pretty, but everything's right as rain after a 40 deg wash.

SimonS | 7 years ago
0 likes

I've tried a few 'kit' towels.  The problem is that if something is absorbent (which is what you need a towel to be) they it retains a fair bit of water and doesn't dry quickly.   Maybe the microfibre ones are better. 

I've used an indonesian cotton sarong as a towel for years - thin but with a large surface area - so dries relatively quickly.  Mine just used to be hung on the coat hook in the office. 

fenix | 7 years ago
0 likes

Aldi do them from time to time. Just microfibre towels.

You can get them from Ebay too but usually overseas and they'll take a while to arrive.

Not as good as 'proper towels' but they do dry themselves much quicker.

Make sure to get a good size one. 

The _Kaner | 7 years ago
0 likes

I picked up this a while back fom an outdoor store.
Its a generic no brand towel.
Decent pack size.
Works well and dries when left spread out in around 30 to 40 mins at room temp.
If temp is low...ie outdoor camping...will dry enough in around 2-3 hours to be used again...but still feel slightly damp

tritecommentbot | 7 years ago
0 likes

Large Packtowel works well. Dries fast, just wring it good and air it when you get home. Won't get your hair as dry as a proper towel if that's important.

https://www.webtogs.com/en-UK/Packtowl-Towels/691wb.htm

Dnnnnnn | 7 years ago
0 likes

They're OK but might be better if you could hang it on the back of your chair, etc. for a little while to let it dry properly (which it does quickly - obviously depends on the temperature, how wet it is etc.)

Unless you've long hair or the shower room is very steamy I find that a pretty small towel (even a regular flannel) is adequate for drying off. Swipe off the excess water and then rub fairly vigorously. But maybe I just have a hot body! kiss

Latest Comments