Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Indoor Trainer

I'm looking to get an indoor trainer for over the winter.  I spent months picking a bike and fancy a TV in the New Year sales so that's more months of research so I'm hoping just to buy a trainer without thnking too much!

Most places I've seen pick the Tacx Vortex Smart as the mid range one to go for.  I had a few questions about the software to go with it.

1.) I dont have a laptop or dekstop and operate entirely off an Android phone so I think that for the moment rules out Zwift which requires a PC/Mac?

2.) I downloaded Trainerroad just to have a look at the app.  Again, I think this requires a monthly subscription to work?  Does it have real life rides ? Can i program my own or just use what ones they create?

3.) The tacx app doesnt seem to easily export to Strava, is that still correct? Does Trainerroad?

4.) Is there any software where I could download rides, for free or paid, and then just use them as and when without the need for an ongoing subscription?  That is, I could subscribe to something for a couple of months over the winter then have a few rides downloaded I could use when I wanted over the summer if I couldn't get out.

Cheers!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

22 comments

chaloum | 7 years ago
0 likes

Zwift is coming out with the simulation on iOS and most probably Andriod.  I don't find Zwift compelling as a training app and I got bored with it rather quickly.  How may times do you want to ride around London or the Island. 

Trainer Road is a great training app but as you have pointed out it's a subscription model about $100 per year but it's structured training.  The thing about Trainer Road is that you can use it with a standard trainer and Trainer Road will give you virtualise power.  so you don't need a smart or expensive trainer.

Wahoo have a reasonable app which works with their trainers the expensive Kickr and the cheaper Snap and the data .

There are many ways to get data onto Strava.  there are many posts about getting data from one app to another on the internet,  It may require several apps like going through Myfitnesspal or another fitness app.

So it really comes down to what you're wanting to get out of you training.

jollygoodvelo replied to chaloum | 7 years ago
0 likes

chaloum wrote:

Zwift is coming out with the simulation on iOS and most probably Andriod.  I don't find Zwift compelling as a training app and I got bored with it rather quickly.  How may times do you want to ride around London or the Island. 

Trainer Road is a great training app but as you have pointed out it's a subscription model about $100 per year but it's structured training.  The thing about Trainer Road is that you can use it with a standard trainer and Trainer Road will give you virtualise power.  so you don't need a smart or expensive trainer.

Wahoo have a reasonable app which works with their trainers the expensive Kickr and the cheaper Snap and the data .

There are many ways to get data onto Strava.  there are many posts about getting data from one app to another on the internet,  It may require several apps like going through Myfitnesspal or another fitness app.

So it really comes down to what you're wanting to get out of you training.

Zwift will also do virtual power ("Zpower") which I've found perfectly adequate, and it also has a workout module.  Each to their own of course but if you got bored on Watopia I'd suggest you're either not riding hard enough, not participating in the group rides/races or just have a very low boredom threshold.

MoutonDeMontagne | 7 years ago
0 likes

I really 'like' the sufferfest videos, and find they make the turbo far less boring than watching boxsets, mostly i think because they're interactive. If you don't want to go hard, use the Col Collective editions. Can easily spend an hour/ hour and a half spinning away to those but only about 20 min watching tv. The other thing I found is getting a direct drive trainer (elite turbo muin) saves a lot of faff and are so much quieter it somehow makes it more enjoyable, maybe its not having to wear headphones or just losing the droning noise my mag trainer used to make. You can set most things up to do virtual power now using the sufferfest/strava so no need to spend a fortune unless you're desperate to use zwift etc. 

The _Kaner | 7 years ago
0 likes

"Am I right in thinking that if I buy the trainer I will also then need to buy an ANT+ dongle for my phone so it can communicate with the trainer?"

Android? How Old?

Check here if your phone will natively support Ant+ - then you could download ant+ app from play store without need for a dongle

https://www.thisisant.com/consumer/ant-101/ant-in-phones

(My Samsung S6 doesn't require any dongle - use it with Strava mobile app to connect to Cad/Spd and HR).

I've just bought an Ant+ dongle from ebay for about €13 all in (same one can be had off amazon too, but postage to Ireland is about the same cost as the dongle).

It's a USB type, but you can get micro usb for phone too... I am going to use it so I can run Zwift on the pc (2 months free subs on Strava), mirror to big screen TV and use the (dumb) turbo along with the garmin speed/cadence sensors. Zwift uses a calculated power curve for non smart turbos...I guess for minimum outlay - as I have the turbo already - it's worth a punt...

jollygoodvelo | 7 years ago
1 like

Get a cheapo PC and Zwift.  Being able to ride with and against other people, in varying scenery, is priceless.  You don't even need a 'smart' trainer, although a Vortex is a great place to start.

Nick Kanwetz | 7 years ago
1 like

the_mth wrote:

Am I right in thinking that if I buy the trainer I will also then need to buy an ANT+ dongle for my phone so it can communicate with the trainer?

Tacx seem to do the only micro USB one but could a normal USB ANT+ dongle be used connected to the phone by a OTG USB adapter cable?

I do plan on buying a laptop next year to replace my aging desktop but where I'm living at the moment for work has very slow broadband, less than 1Mb. I get decent 4g coverage though so just use my phone for nearly everything.  The laptop option seems the easiest way and gives you the widest choice of apps.

Would anyone know if I use Trainerroad on my android phone can it be minimised and let me watch Netflix/Amazon while it works away in the background?

If it won't do this I see from the Trainerroad FAQ page that it doesnt need an internet connection to work once everything is downloaded so I could use a tablet I have lying about to record workouts and stream from the phone.

Currently, in order to connect the Tacx Vortex Smart to TrainerRoad, you'll need ANT+ connectivity. The good news is many Android phones have ANT+ built-in so you won't need any additional adapters. You can learn more about how to connect TrainerRoad to your Android phone here. If your phone doesn't have built-in ANT+, you can use the ANT+ USB dongle and OTG adapter cable though.

Also, you're correct that TR requires a subscription. We offer a $12/mo and $99/yr option, and also have a 30-day money-back guarantee. If you don't absolutely love us in your first 30-days, we'll get you a 100% refund no questions asked.  1 

The Tacx Vortex Smart is an electronic trainer that will, in conjunction with TR, electronically control the resistance of the trainer to make sure you're hitting power targets within your workout. So it's totally cool if you switch apps over to Netflix/Amazon. TR will still be controlling your trainer while you're watching your entertainment. Your tablet solution could also work as well — it's up to you.

Feel free to let us know if you run into any questions or concerns at support [at] trainerroad.com. We'll be happy to help!

Cheers!

Community Manager at TrainerRoad — Cycling's Most Effective Training System

carytb | 7 years ago
0 likes

+1 for Trainerroad. In my view excellent value for money. I really enjoy the podcasts

Also get a decent trainer. I started off with a cheap Minoura Electro magnetic one. It was awful. I then got a Kurt Kinetic Rock & Roll. Its the diference between night and day.Far closer to the feel of road riding. It's not a patch on riding outside in decent weather but it certainly beats riding in the cold and wet and on icy roads.

A good fan makes a massive difference. I got this one from Argos and it does the job perfectly

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/4250090

King_Louis | 7 years ago
0 likes

I link my Vortex with my iPhone through Bluetooth. I second what a few people on here have said. Make sure you really want a trainer. I bought mine and got bored quickly, until I found zwift. I feel like I can engage with it as there is a visual stimulus, although half the time I have zwift on my laptop and Netflix on the tv.

Once you get it cracked it can be really useful, especially the power training workouts.

the_mth | 7 years ago
0 likes

Am I right in thinking that if I buy the trainer I will also then need to buy an ANT+ dongle for my phone so it can communicate with the trainer?

Tacx seem to do the only micro USB one but could a normal USB ANT+ dongle be used connected to the phone by a OTG USB adapter cable?

I do plan on buying a laptop next year to replace my aging desktop but where I'm living at the moment for work has very slow broadband, less than 1Mb. I get decent 4g coverage though so just use my phone for nearly everything.  The laptop option seems the easiest way and gives you the widest choice of apps.

Would anyone know if I use Trainerroad on my android phone can it be minimised and let me watch Netflix/Amazon while it works away in the background?

If it won't do this I see from the Trainerroad FAQ page that it doesnt need an internet connection to work once everything is downloaded so I could use a tablet I have lying about to record workouts and stream from the phone.

CXR94Di2 | 7 years ago
0 likes

I love indoor cycling. I use bkool mainly for league racing a couple of times a week, I have tried Swift(similar to Bkool) I have also just started training plan on trainer road. Get a fan, then a bigger fan. I use a 3ft industrial fan and still sweat up. It can be really hard work if you want it or easy to do a couple of hours zone 2.
My health has been much better for not riding/training outdoors during winter, hardly a cough or cold.

fustuarium | 7 years ago
0 likes

1) Don't know about Zwift

2) TrainerRoad is monthly. You can get a free month from existing subscribers (loads on here I imagine including myself). It doesn't have 'real life rides' but does have rides that match some real life training videos if that makes sesne. You can build your own workouts in the workout builder. Very questionable whether its worth trying to do 'real life rides' on a turbo as it misses the point of the structued programming that is so effective. Have a listen to the free podcasts they do. They talked about mimicking real life rides in one of the recent episodes.

3) Not sure about Tacx app as I don't use it (eventhough I have Tacx Bushido). Trainerroad exports to Strava automatically and it's a doddle to set up and link the accounts.

4) I think there's a few different ones. As others have said, read DC RAinmakers site as he does a review of turbo trainer software as well the units themselves.  I'm on annual with Trainerroad as I can watch the World Tour races on Eurosport during the summer whilst getting a ride in; killing two birds with one stone.

Team EPO | 7 years ago
1 like

Worth a read of the mighty DC Rainmaker's trainers

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/11/trainer-apps-guide.html

His website has 3 MILLION visitors a month!

pablo | 7 years ago
0 likes

I have tacx vortex smart does the jon but still nothing like riding on the road.  I've used their app but only for ERG control and don't bother now.

I used Zwift last year which was great and does have  a way of program workouts or pre de-defined ones it certainly did break up the bordem of sitting on a trainer.  

This year i've gone more structured and am using trainerroad which apart from getting a coach seems th ebest current solution for structured trainer.  I'm on second week base and have learnt so much in just over a week.  Things i've read in books and online about trianing with power now make much more sense.  At two weeks in difficult to say on fitness imporvements you really do need to dedicate the time 6 hours x 12 weeks to really start to see results and the build from their.  So far I've actually found the endurance rides hardest mentally and physically.  Even though i ride alot i generally ride at tempo riding at zone 2 edurance is actually rather hard because i haven't really ever used those muscle cells.  It is a little boring but the text guidance is great and music gets me through.  
I haven't used the android app as it's doesn't have all the features yet so i use a pc with an ant+ it reads power from both my power meter and the trainer and then controls the resistance.

fukawitribe | 7 years ago
0 likes

Agree with the comments above about enjoying indoor work - it definitely can be fun - but would like to chip in on the endurance side. Proper time-crunched/HIT routines can most certainly improve your endurance fitness - you don't need long rides to help with that as such. What longer outdoor rides will do is train your body to cope with actually dealing with the length of time endurance efforts require e.g. saddle suitability and bike position/comfort, fueling strategies, concentration and so on - and I gess also balance if you're not on rollers inside  3

Next thing - fan. Vital. You really don't need anything too fancy either - for smaller fans something like a Honeywell HT-900 circulation fan (search on eBay and Amazon) or go larger with a floor mount from ToolStation or Screwfix. You'll still be hotter than outside but it'll be bearable and you might be surprised how effective even a modest air flow can be.

Tacx also has apps for calibrating your trainer and training which are Android compatible. They're basic but useful.

Lastly your Tacx should normally come with a copy of the Tacx Training Software (TTS) - I know you don't have a PC currently but it might be worth looking at what it offers to see if it makes sense to you to buy a cheapo PC for it. TTS has virtual reality courses (crits, mountains, rolling hills, velodromes) and events using them, training workouts, online events with other riders and a good range of very high quality real life courses (RLVs) to purchase should you wish. A PC that can run TTS can be picked up very cheaply and you can display on a TV, might not be your cup of tea of course but may be worth thinking about.

Enjoy.

mickcee | 7 years ago
1 like

Iam on my third turbo and  have moved from cheap no brand to a smart trainer whilst doing this. think i payed 59 quid for my first one off ebay

Each winter with some structutered training I have left the winter a stronger rider and not as fat. Its can be boring just riding and listening to music or working your way through a box set so i need motivation.

i used to just watch Youtube for turbo routines, like GCN but descovered Sufferfest and Trainerroad before Zwift.

The Tour of Sufferlandria is a great aim to do on the turbo. Check it out and worth the hot sweaty painful rides in your paincave!!

tritecommentbot replied to mickcee | 7 years ago
0 likes

mickcee wrote:

Iam on my third turbo and  have moved from cheap no brand to a smart trainer whilst doing this. think i payed 59 quid for my first one off ebay

Each winter with some structutered training I have left the winter a stronger rider and not as fat. Its can be boring just riding and listening to music or working your way through a box set so i need motivation.

i used to just watch Youtube for turbo routines, like GCN but descovered Sufferfest and Trainerroad before Zwift.

The Tour of Sufferlandria is a great aim to do on the turbo. Check it out and worth the hot sweaty painful rides in your paincave!!

Or Knighthood if you're super hardcore!

How fit do you need to be to pull that off. Seems Godly to me..

HarryTrauts | 7 years ago
1 like

I agree with @unconstituted.  Indoor training can be something to look forward to and fun.  

First, though, I don't have a turbo trainer.  I found them dull and not much like cycling.  I use rollers as they make me think a bit more about riding.  Other advantages are the suggested improvement in bike handling skills and core strength.  Rollers probably don't have the same scope as turbos - the range of resistance is limited - but I still get a good workout on them.  I never use my rollers for more than an hour at a time.  As @unconstituted said, endurance is for the road.

I'd also agree that borrowing a few indoor trainers makes sense.  You might hate it.  

Good luck!

CXR94Di2 | 7 years ago
0 likes

Bkool is android compatible. Download their Simulator app from the play store. I believe if you phone/ tablet is ant+ enabled you can control the trainer for resistance. I use the pc. version of Bkool but have watched races live in my android phone with the simulator. To me it is just a smaller screen version of my pc

tritecommentbot | 7 years ago
0 likes

Sufferfest App for your phone is your solution. They're adding structured training plans and even yoga for cyclists in November too.

I'm in the opposite camp to Griff above, I love indoor session in my spin bike. I can get caffeined up, earphones in with my music on loud and get wrecked. Great fun, brutal. 

For endurance work though, outdoors is where it's at. I actually prefer riding in bad weather, it's glorious, numbs the mind and clears the senses. But indoor trainer is super handy, especially for weight management. It's always there ready for a quick and hassle free session.

Im waiting for the Flux to get released then moving over to Zwift. Have the missus to train up now too and think Zwift will be more fun for her, though she does get on well with Sufferfests. 

Griff500 replied to tritecommentbot | 7 years ago
1 like

unconstituted wrote:

It's always there ready for a quick and hassle free session.

Now there is a great line to take out of contextlaugh

tritecommentbot replied to Griff500 | 7 years ago
0 likes

Griff500 wrote:

unconstituted wrote:

It's always there ready for a quick and hassle free session.

Now there is a great line to take out of contextlaugh

My level of conversation right here enlightened

Griff500 | 7 years ago
1 like

I guess I need to be prepared for some abuse here, but before you spend all that money on a trainer, make sure you really, really, want one!  

Let me explain: I was in the same position as you this time last year, looking around for which trainer to buy, and was close to parting with a lot of cash for a high specced model. I am indebted to a mate who "strongly recommended" that I borrow one first, as he and loads of other folk have them lying unused in their garages. I took up the offer, and very quickly realised why there are so many unused ones lying in garages! Despite all the gizmos, the virtual reality, or ability to watch movies if you prefer, riding a trainer is not like cycling. Firstly, there is the total lack of interaction with the real world, no movement, no real change of scene, no speed related airflow, and 5 minutes in I was overheating and bored to tears. In the real world, I am comfortable cycling on a hot British summer day of say upper 20's, and don't sweat excessivley. On the trainer, in my unheated garage, door wide open, frost on the ground outside, I quickly resorted to cyclying topless but was still dripping sweat. So unless you rig up the equivalent of a 20mph airflow, it is bloody unpleasant. I never managed to motivate myself for more than 30 minutes, yet in the real world, I rarely take the bike out for less than a couple of hours. After half a dozen "rides", my borrowed trainer, like so many others, was lying unused in the back of the garage, with me very glad that I hadn't parted with several hundred quid. 

I have no doubt there are many people who enjoy getting hot and sweaty cycling without going anywhere, or maybe just accept this as a necessary evil to keep fit over the winter.  But I am very glad I found it wasn't for me before spending any money. For me, this winter it will be mudguards on my spare bike, and off to brave the salt spray.

Latest Comments