Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Giro - Which stages to visit?/Travel Advice?

Morning,

As the route has been unveiled for the 100th Giro I would like some advice on visiting this beautful looking race.

The background

I have been to many a TDF with friends drivng. I am going to the Giro with the Mrs! A different ketle of fish! We will be flying over and staying in a nice city hopefully to catch afew stages aswell as having a relaxing break.

Requirements

Based in a semi-tourist city,

Close to stage start/finish and/or a rest day,

I have never been to Italy so any advice on locations and suggestions would be hugely appreciated?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

1 comments

NeilG83 | 7 years ago
0 likes

Due to it being the 100th edition of the Giro it seems as if the organisers have attempted to squeeze in as many regions of Italy into the route as possible. This means that most towns only get a stage start or finish not both. Also, other than the final stage into Milan and a stage start in Florence there are few major cities on the route.

However, if I had the time and money, which unfortunately I don't, I would head for Taormina in Sicily. A city on the coast with plenty of roman and greek ruins to explore, but drivable distance to the end of the stage to Mt. Etna, and the following stage to Messina will pass through the city.

there are probably flights available into Catania from the UK.

Latest Comments