Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Carrying Bikes on a Audi TT...

Okay, I realise this might be a long-shot, but a Hairdresser Friend (you couldn't make it up, could you...) of mine has asked me if there's any way to carry her and her Daughters bike (road/hybrid type things, not some heavy downhill monster) on the back/roof of the car when she goes on holiday in a couple of weeks...    because, of course, if I ride a bike I must be some sort of expert on these things (which I'm not, mine goes in the back of the works estate car)

As far as I can see it's down to sticking some roof bars on there (doubt she's going to go for a towbar fitting...) or perhaps one of those seasucker things...

it's a 2005 model TT Coupe if that makes any difference...   I know if it'd been the 2006 version Saris do one of the "bones" rearmount ones.

Just wondered if anyone on here has a TT of this era, and if they had any first hand recommendations...

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

harman_mogul | 7 years ago
1 like

+1 for Roofracks.co.uk

notfastenough | 7 years ago
3 likes

Aye, asking "for a friend"...

DaveE128 | 7 years ago
1 like

I thought Audi drivers want bikes under the car not on top?  3

Just kidding, motor vehicle predjudices aside, I'd think the seasuckers are probably the lowest hassle option. Otherwise, check out:

https://roofracks.co.uk/Thule-Fit-Guide/_-/?make=Audi&model=TT&type=Coup...

Then the bike racks to fit the bars can are here:

https://roofracks.co.uk/Thule-Products/Roof-Mounted/Bike-Cycle-Carriers/

I've used these people and would recommend.

Shades | 7 years ago
1 like

Get a van; roofrack hassle is long forgotten.

gellets | 7 years ago
0 likes

I have a TT cabrio and although it's the newer model, I have a Saris Bones 2 and this works fine. I did some research before buying this and there is nothing about TT compatibility on their website, but it fits fine and no issues with using it.

The shape of the 2005 coupe and 2008 cabrio boots are similar so maybe find a local bike shop with a Saris in stock and try it on your car? 

tangledfeet | 7 years ago
0 likes

I've had the Seasucker Talon for a couple of years and it has been great!  I have a Mini Cooper and it is my only option other than carrying a bike inside - roof bars are a factory fit option and there's no tow bar mount available.

It was a huge leap of faith the first time I used it but it hasn't let me down.  Another advantage is that it is easily removed and takes up little more rooom than a show box, however this does mean that it is not secure.

Latest Comments