Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Leg warmers for large thighs

Can anyone recommend some leg warmers, I have outgrown my large ones I think I bought cheap on the net the band at the top now cuts into my leg too much. Having just measured my thighs I have a 24 inch circumference. I'm 5'10 and have been hitting the gym quite a lot since knee surgery. Cheers in advance. 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

fenix | 7 years ago
0 likes

I usually go with winter longs in the proper winter - but we are at that annoying time of year - can be very chilly early on and then nice in the afternoon - so leg warmers do have their uses. 

Heck 2 weeks ago I was in shorts for rides - in 2 more weeks it might be full on winter kit. Who knows ?

StraelGuy | 7 years ago
0 likes

I'm glad you brought that up dottigirl. As a relative newcomer to cycling, I've often thought the same thing. If you know it's cold and you're likely to need arm or leg warmers, why not wear a long sleeved top and full length tights in the first place  .

gthornton101 replied to StraelGuy | 7 years ago
0 likes

guyrwood wrote:

I'm glad you brought that up dottigirl. As a relative newcomer to cycling, I've often thought the same thing. If you know it's cold and you're likely to need arm or leg warmers, why not wear a long sleeved top and full length tights in the first place  .

It's just down to flexibility for me.  Often it's colder when I leave early but I warm up so want to have the option of taking arm warmers off (which a long sleeve base layer doesn't allow you to do).  Likewise with knee warmers.

Also, I have many short sleeve base layers that I use in spring/autumn and a cheapish pair of arm warmers makes them equivalent to a long sleeve base layer without spending too much more money.

Staying on topic, +1 for dhb to suit larger legs.

dottigirl | 7 years ago
0 likes

With winter coming on, I'm already in tights. I never found a comfy pair of knee or leg warmers, and have never seen the point of shorts plus warmers for a cold day - why not just wear tights or 3/4s?

Rapha Nadal | 7 years ago
0 likes

Pearl Izumi make some good ones that are suitable for the larger thighed gent.  Quite a bit of give in them but tight enougjh to not look baggy, if that makes sense.

Jack Osbourne snr | 7 years ago
0 likes

Dhb. Generally the fit is more suited to the larger athlete. Large should work for you.

I'm 5'11" and have slightly bigger thighs.

Personally, I prefer a pair of unpadded tights over the top. I have a pair of Nike running pants I've used for about 12 years. Only slightly bulkier than Roubaix leg warmers when rolled up in a pocket and soooooo much less of a faff to get on and off in changeable weather.

Edited to add: I prefer overtights but have tried warmers in a couple of flavours. I had a pair of Lycra ones from Shutt VR that were frankly, only fit for a sparrow.

Latest Comments