Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Rolling Resistance Vs. Weight Vs. Grip

I am having a bit of a debate with myself about what tyres I should get for my new build.

It is likely to be used for both road and cycle path riding of between 5-50 miles and used on a daily basis. I suppose you could say I'm looking for an all rounder, sort of a commuter/touring tyre?

The three tyres I am considering are:

Kenda Small Block 8: Poor rolling resistance, medium weight, great on leaf mulch and gravel (this is what I currently ride and would have gone straight for this if I hadn't read about it's very poor rolling resistance)

Schwalbe Marathon GreenGuard: Good rolling resistance, heavy weight, OK(?) on leaf mulch and gravel

Vittoria Randonneur Pro: Good rolling resistance, light weight, poor(?) on leaf mulch and gravel

Riding around at the moment I am very glad that I am currently using the Kenda Small Block 8 on my commute as the amount of leaf mulch is great and I fear skidding around on it. However, I do not have experience of the other 2 tyres so they could be equally as good on leaf mulch and gravel. The weight of the Schalbe does rather put me off but maybe it doesn't make as big a difference due to the great rolling resistance?

Thoughts?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

mrtrilby | 7 years ago
0 likes

Another vote for the Schwalbe G-one tyres. I've found their rolling resistance good enough to do a 100 mile ride on them, and their grip good enough to enjoy riding on gravel and racing dry cyclocross events. 

http://road.cc/content/review/190493-schwalbe-g-one

BBB | 7 years ago
2 likes

Schwalbe G-One tubeless

CXR94Di2 replied to BBB | 7 years ago
0 likes

BBB wrote:

Schwalbe G-One tubeless

Or Schwalbe G One allround, or speed versions in tubeless.  There is also Schwalbe big one 

part_robot | 7 years ago
0 likes

From memory the Schwalbe's come in two derivatives - one with a lower rolling resistance. Check out rollingresistance.com or whatever it's called. They are heavy though, as you say. My girlfriend ended up going with the Conti City tyres or some similar name. Lighter with good grip. She's very happy with them and cycles similar distances daily. 

Liam Cahill | 7 years ago
0 likes

Unless you're looking to save a small amount of time on your commute, I'd stick with tyres that you know and trust. Small Block 8 is also ok for doing a bit of off-road stuff which could make the commute home more exciting?

Latest Comments