Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Folding choices

Hey folks.  I may be about to land a new job, where the office is 1.3 miles from the train station.  Walkable, but not in the 12-ish minutes I'll have to get there on time. I'm thinking that a folding bike would suit both the flat journey, and pack into the car on the days when my mrs picks me up at the station in the evenings (if it wasn't for this, I'd consider a fixie to help improve my fitness).  I figure a single speed will be fine, with mudguards.  Does anyone have any recommendations?

(I should also mention that my heel-in pedalling style seems to mean that I'm unsuited to the flared chainstays used to accommodate disc brakes, so those are perhaps best avoided)

Thanks for any advice.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

notfastenough | 7 years ago
0 likes

Thanks all.  Sounds like for the distance and the intended budget, I'm probably best going for a single speed btwin. I think I would have to be more serious about the prospect for a brompton to make sense. 

gmac101 | 7 years ago
0 likes

I have a hub gear bike with marathon plus tyres.  I had punctures when they were new as flints got stuck in the tread. Now I've worn the tread off I haven't had a puncture in ages. I carry a can of tyre inflating foam, zefal do it as do decathalon. I've used it a couple of times and I've managed to get back on the go in 4 minutes once.  It trashes the inner tube but if it means picking the children on time or getting into work for that meeting it's worth it. 

One of my colleagues uses a Dahon folder and has been very happy with it, though they have had a recall over a problem with the hinge.  

arfa | 7 years ago
0 likes

I have schwalbe marathon plus but do enough miles and punctures will come.
You need a spanner to take the wheel off and the rear mech is a handful. It's a half hour job if you're lucky and everything goes to plan. Doing it in the pouring rain and you have the scope for dropped parts.....

Beatnik69 | 7 years ago
0 likes
arfa | 7 years ago
1 like

The Brompton is the best folder in terms of design, fold, ease of use and durability but (and it's a big but) a rear wheel puncture is a dockyard job to change. I use mine lots and am quite happy putting 40-50 miles a day on it and the luggage bags are well designed too.
However for a 1 mile a day trip anything would do the job.
The mid section folders are all flawed (IMHO) as there's too much stress on the folding joint (had one break mid ride - not fun).
If you want to buy well, buy once, a Brompton it is but that said anything will do for a mile.

Jem PT replied to arfa | 7 years ago
0 likes

arfa wrote:

The Brompton is the best folder in terms of design, fold, ease of use and durability but (and it's a big but) a rear wheel puncture is a dockyard job to change.

Surely no worse than any bike with hub gears? Alternatively fit Scwalbe Marathon Plus tyres and forget about punctures!

Bhachgen | 7 years ago
0 likes

I've got a BTwin Hoptown 7 which I've had for a few years now. Not sure if they're still available. Have done 100s of miles on it, including rides of over an hour. Really quite pleased with it. 7 speed hub gear, mudguards, rack, easy enough to fold up and down and I paid less than you would for a 2nd hand Brommie.

Shades | 7 years ago
0 likes

I have a Mezzo D9, mainly because when I bought it the waiting time for a Brompton was 3 months.  More 'bike for your buck' and I've 'pimped' the gears by putting a bigger cassette on it.  Fold is as quick as a Brompton, although marginally heavier and larger (once folded).  It's a good bike, although I do kind of still want a Brompton!

Jem PT | 7 years ago
0 likes

A Brompton is the best folding bike, but not the cheapest. If you're only doing 1.3 miles each way, the fold is more important than the ride... In which case a Brompton is still your best bet. I do about 2,000 miles a year on mine...

ktache | 7 years ago
0 likes

I have thought about this, never had to actually do it, was allowed my full sized bike on, but it would have to be a Bromton.  Nothing seems to compare.  Dahons are meant to be alright, but Bromptons not only fold well, but seem tougher and better built.   Upgradable too, mmm, titanium.  And British.

Latest Comments