Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

I still haven't found what I am looking for (just a hybrid bike)

I've been commuting 20miles a day in London on an alu flat bar for quite a few years. I must have done 20k miles on it. It's still OK as I replaced bits and pieces over the years. I read these frames don't last forever in these conditions. Whether it's true or not it's just the excuse i needed to replace the bike. I still prefer a hybrid for commuting over a road bike which I only use at weekends to try and push a little harder.

I've been looking at what's on offer but differently from when I bought the previous bike now I know what want. The problem is that I can't find it! This is:

Alu frame. Reasonable weight and geometry. Love the carbon forks on my road bike but can live with any material as long as properly designed to minimise vibrations and bumps.

No front derailleur. I might consider a double but I find triples fiddly and completely useless for what I need the bike for.

No disc brakes.

Pannier ready.

Reasonable price.

Does a bike like this exist or am I being silly with some of my requests? If it doesn't I guess I might try to build one.

Thanks!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

19 comments

alexwlondon | 7 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for all the input.

fukawitribe, thanks. I've saved your comments so that I know which disc brakes to go for when I finally pull the plug on rim brakes.

risoto, indeed, I was looking at the Giant Escape when I thought I liked it but did not want another triple.

multimodal, ah! I knew I must have missed something which I was I posted here. Yes, the Triban looks exactly like the bike I was after. It's got a double, I preferred a 1x10 or something; but it's a decent Tiagra. I even like it's got 28tyres rather than 32.  Not sure of the wheels though. I'll take a look at the reviews. Never been on a bike from Duathlon; some colleagues have them and are happy with them. 500Pounds seems to me to be a very good price for the specs. Thanks.

multimodal | 7 years ago
0 likes

I'd look at B-Twin. They do flat bar Tribans. This one at £500 has the frame, forks and mounts that you're looking for. A double upfront. Full Tiagra. Good value throughout the range and very highly rated by friends who have them http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-540-flat-bar-road-bike-tiagra-id_83227...

risoto | 7 years ago
0 likes

I have one recommendation: Giant Escape 1.

Replaced my stolen Cube Touring hybrid. Never liked the Cube, but the Giant is very good and also very cheap. Got mine on offer for 450€, regular price was 600.

Apart from the saddle, which I replaced, there is not one single thing I do not like about it. It has the smoothest pedalling and gear change I have tried on any bike despite a mixed group set with Alivio, Altus and Suntour crank /BB. I don.t quite understand this, better than Shimano 105 and Veloce on my racers.

Finally it looks fantastic, very nice frame design. Got mine in white with Blue trim. It is very fast but also very comfy on 50 km plus rides. Mud guards easy to fit.

Jack Osbourne snr | 7 years ago
0 likes

Just weighed it...

A featherweight 11.5 kg.

This includes pedals, rack, guards and lights. I haven't cut the steerer yet so there's probably another 200g to come off for that and the extra spacers currently deployed.

I'm estimating around 9.5kg undressed.

fukawitribe | 7 years ago
0 likes

On the subject of disc brakes, my own position would be

* if possible, go full hydraulic. It's far and away the least hassle with discs and (IME) the same/marginally less maintainence than rim brakes (pads go faster but simple to replace, less adjustment fitting or during lifetime). None too pricey either..

* if not, go for cable operated hydraulics like TRP Hy/Rd or (much cheaper) Juin Tech R1s. The latter are closed system so zero bleeding if that helps and have lever bite adjustment.

* avoid cable operated mechanical discs if at all possible. They're not the worst thing but do take regular furtling to get the best out of them (they'll be "OK" without, but you'll notice the performance go downhill).

0 likes

Sounds great! Gutted frames are going the disc only directions. Even a steel K2!  What next? Will I be forced to have a mobile phone too? [yes, I am joking]

0 likes

I was seriously considering the Kaffenback2 frame before posting here. It's 2200g and costs 150 quid. I'd need to buy everything else though (not worth saving anything from my old bike other than the pannier guards and racks if they fit) How does it ride? How about the steel fork? Does it live up to PX's hype?

PX says it's got disc brakes mountings - I take it you can still mount rim brakes on K2 frames?

Jack Osbourne snr replied to alexwlondon | 7 years ago
0 likes
alexwlondon wrote:

I was seriously considering the Kaffenback2 frame before posting here. It's 2200g and costs 150 quid. I'd need to buy everything else though (not worth saving anything from my old bike other than the pannier guards and racks if they fit) How does it ride? How about the steel fork? Does it live up to PX's hype?

PX says it's got disc brakes mountings - I take it you can still mount rim brakes on K2 frames?

It rides great.

The steel fork is heavy, but soaks up any leftover road buzz that 32mm marathon supremes don't. I had considered a carbon fork, but given how robust the steel ones are (particularly in comparison to my Reynolds 653 forks on another bike) I no longer feel the need.

If you get longer Allen bolts and some small stainless washers to use as packers you'll be able to make any rack fit. Guards often need some creative fettling to fit anyway, so no problems their either.

However... I'm afraid the K2 is disc brake only.

You could drill the fork to take a calliper, but the drilling on the seatstay bridge points downwards, so no way you could fix a rim brake there.

So it's disc brakes and new wheels...

For wheels, I've built up 32 hole Mavic Xm319 rims on Shimano XT disc hubs. Utterly bomb proof and I think cost under £150 for the bits.

If you don't like the idea of hydraulics I can highly recommend the TRP Spyres, although if you're going flat bar there are dozens of good cable operated disc brake options available.

Commuting in Glasgow means I really feel the benefit of discs. With rim brakes I'd be constantly cleaning and replacing rims and pads.

I've had fun putting my K2 together and it rides really well, but if you aren't able to transplant any of the drivetrain, brakes or wheels it works out better buying a complete K2.

Jack Osbourne snr | 7 years ago
0 likes

+1 for the Boardman Hybrid range. I ran one for several thousand miles until I relegated it to snow and ice commutes only (permanently fitted ice spike tyres just ready to grab of an icy morning)

I recently loaned it to a guy at work to evaluate and he loved it.

However... Once I got it back I murdered it. I looked at the cable grooves worn into the carbon fork and the big dings in the paintwork and decided to "let it go".
I bought a Kaffenback frame from Planet X and swapped as much over as was possible. Under 200 quid for frameset, headset plus spacers and bottom bracket. The rest cam out of my spares stock.

It's a hoot!

Obviously I can't vouch entirely for the fully built versions from PX, but they're maybe worth considering. Steel frame and fork, takes racks and guards and tyres up to 32mm. Only one rack/guard eye at the back so you'll need to share it.

Weight? No idea. If I can find my luggage scales I'll find out though.

0 likes

Thanks for all the input. If I start considering discs obviously there's lots of options. As a late adopter, I do realise I must be the odd one out here as virtually all hybrids now come with them. They still put me off because I do all servicing myself. I can service/remove/install rim brakes myself; I am not sure I could do the bleeding etc for discs. I worry I'll spend more time with them and might have the hassle of taking the bike to the shops etc. I honestly see no need for discs - my rim brakes work perfectly well. My rims are still OK after tens of thousands of miles and will outlive the time I want to replace the wheels anyway for whatever reason, or indeed the bike, like now. I no longer live in North London so don't have to do the hill coming down or worse going up at night! 

Argos74 | 7 years ago
2 likes

Rethink the discs thing. For all weather (i.e. bad weather) commuting, discs are invaluable. Maintenance I've found is easier, although I leave bleeding the brakes to the LBS.

+1 for the Boardman, and add a basic service from your LBS on the price tag. Doing a bit of online shopping, two that caught my eye are the HOY Shizuoka .005 (more expensive, a bit heavier than the Boardman, slightly nice kit) and the Vitus Bikes Mach 3 (cheaper, a smidgin heavier than the Hoy, decently kitted out).

macrophotofly | 7 years ago
1 like

I have a boardman hybrid pro. Alu frame but the welding is machined back smooth so often mistaken for a carbon frame. Has carbon forks and is a lovely ride with 28's on the wheels. Mine was originally 2x10 but I rebuilt it 1x10. The latest version has the 1x11 rival on it. The hydraulic brakes on mine have never needed an adjustment in 4 years (swapped pads last year) and the latest model has the same ones. The bike is also a couple of kg lighter than the Communter (although that is probably the mudguards/rack/internal gearing)

Two things I would say are, (i) the latest one appears to have a naff seat, but we usually all change to our favourite so just bin the one that comes with it and use your preference (ii) it comes from Halfords (mine came from Wiggle before Halfords had sole rights) so you may want someone to check it was assembled correctly before taking it out

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/hybrid-bikes/boardman-hybrid-bike-pro

0 likes

I was looking at it as my other proper bike is a canyon. But yes it's got discs... Hmmm

Woodsman | 7 years ago
0 likes

Canyon Commuter? Although it does have disks. 

0 likes

I know... Well my rim brakes work perfectly well when wet and I see no need for discs. I was also hoping to avoid time consuming maintenance (I have enough fixing my wife's ones).

But yes, I guess I could declare this battle lost if there is no alternative.

Dnnnnnn replied to alexwlondon | 7 years ago
0 likes

alexwlondon wrote:

I know... Well my rim brakes work perfectly well when wet and I see no need for discs. I was also hoping to avoid time consuming maintenance (I have enough fixing my wife's ones).

But yes, I guess I could declare this battle lost if there is no alternative.

I'd say rim brakes need more servicing than discs (although in usually dry London, neither needs much). The other thing in favour of discs is that they don't wear out your rims. When I was thrashing my old tank up the Old Kent Road every morning I found I could wear out a front rim through braking in 2-3 years. Not the end of the world but worth a thought.

Now I have a heavier front rim and a lighter commute  1

rjfrussell | 7 years ago
0 likes

why no discs?

0 likes

Thanks for the suggestion! Hmmm - Hub gears (not even sure how to service/replace them) and 16kgs put me off a little.

Griff500 | 7 years ago
0 likes

If you really, really, want what you've described,  I believe the Cube Town meets all of your points. Hydroformed aluminium, internal cables with V brakes, 8 speed hub mounted gears, pannier rack, and even ready fitted LED lights. Not exactly light at 16kg, but this includes the rack, mudgards, lights etc so maybe not bad.  Actually quite a smart bike, and made by a proper bike manufacturer, but not sure about those hub gears. £464 at an online retailer of your choice.

Latest Comments