Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Giving out frame number

Hello

Got a frameset for sale on eBay, I've received a message asking for the date of purchase and serial number, I presume they mean the frame number, Is it normal to give this information (the frame number) out?

Thanks

Mike

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

tritecommentbot | 7 years ago
0 likes

Check with the manufacturer yourself, then forward the email on to them with the frame number redacted. Not enough proof to remove all doubt, but probably enough to make them pull the trigger. 

Dnnnnnn | 7 years ago
0 likes

Perhaps you could give them half the number? That would stop them claiming it was their bike (although they could still claim the other half was illegible) while perhaps still being enough to check its status.

Rapha Nadal | 7 years ago
0 likes

They may wish to check it with the manufacturer to double check it's real.

Happens frequently with golf stuff on eBay as there's so many fakes knocking around.

Mikeh789 | 7 years ago
1 like

Thats why I was a little unsure about sending the information, I have however registered the frame number on the  National Cycle database and photographed the frame with my details on a piece of paper.

The _Kaner | 7 years ago
0 likes

However, some unscrupulous types may actually use this information to make a 'false insurance/theft' claim. So be wary.

Mikeh789 | 7 years ago
0 likes

Ok, Thanks for that.

Griff500 | 7 years ago
1 like

Speaking personally, if I was buying an expensive frame on ebay I'd want to know it wasn't stripped from a nicked bike. The only way is the frame number.

Latest Comments