Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Pedals level when stopping?

My sons have come back from cycling club telling me that I've been doing it wrong all these years (no change there) and that you should have your pedals level when you stop, not one up and one down. That feels really awkward to me.

Not for a moment do I doubt the coaches' word on this but out of interest, has anybody else come across this? The club does road, CX, track, MTB, so it may be a point from one of those?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

28 comments

fenix | 7 years ago
0 likes

Never actually thought about it - but I think I unclip with level pedals.

If you're stopping with LH crank down might you catch it on the pavement or kerb ?

Really dont think it matters much any way.

Dan S | 7 years ago
0 likes

OK, I had a chat with the coach about this last week. Basically they're encouraging the ready position and the idea is that you should be slowing in that 9-3 position. The actual stop and dismount the position doesn't matter so much and he agreed that on the road he, like most of us, stops in a 6-12 position.

GrahamF | 7 years ago
0 likes

A bit odd, dismounting with pedals level.... I've always got off freewheeled bike with cranks vertical, specifically left pedal down as I get off on my left. This applies to road, cx and mtb. Track - I stop wherever the cranks are, then either roll or hop the rear wheel if the situation dictates. Would be interested to know the reasoning behind this as others have said. Perhaps I've been doing it wrong all these years!

Pedals level (ready position) on CX and MTB are useful for getting your rear off the saddle so allowing the bike to move with the surface underneath you. You're less likely to be thrown off should you encounter some rough patches. Mind you, we'd be doing this all the time over our road surfaces!!

ktache | 7 years ago
0 likes

A lot of control on the technical stuff on moutain bikes comes from the 3 + 9 position.  At least in the video I saw recently.  I have been trying it too, seems to work.  Don't know about stopping mind.

Dan S | 7 years ago
0 likes

I think the club track bikes have toe clips and straps but at the moment they're still riding their own road bikes, which have flats.

madcarew | 7 years ago
0 likes

I'd say it's track (fixie) specific if it's true.

tritecommentbot | 7 years ago
0 likes

Ah interesting! Wonder if that changes when they progress..

Dan S | 7 years ago
1 like

Despite their protests, they're not on clipless pedals yet  1
I'll ask the coach what the reasoning is and let you all know.

benborp replied to Dan S | 7 years ago
0 likes

Dan S wrote:

Despite their protests, they're not on clipless pedals yet  1 I'll ask the coach what the reasoning is and let you all know.

It sounds more and more that this is a fixed thing. If they are riding track bikes without retention then it will be quite important that they stop with the pedals close to level. 

FatBoyW | 7 years ago
0 likes

Well some weight will be on the saddle.

it does sound like a recipe for those horrible first time in clipless moments when you realise you should have unclipped! I am pretty sure I'd fall off if I tried this, if I did get my foot out the sudden rush to 6 of the other would cause calf pain!!

on the track stopping on the fence, yeah I kind of see it as you have a bit of distance to stop in and you are then leaning on the fence and are ready to go on a fixed where a big downward firsts stroke is less of an issue.

Be interested to hear if there is a good reason, personally I'd concentrate on them starting without pushing off on the free foot which just wears out cleats (plastic Keo ones).

macrophotofly | 7 years ago
1 like

Nutty coach if you ask me - probably learnt it from track standing on a fixie. The minute you stop on a normal bike, you have to unclip (at 3, 6, 9 or 12 o'clock doesn't seem to matter) and take one foot off to put it on the ground. The minute you do that, all your weight is on the other pedal and on a non-fixie it will roll back down to 6 o'clock. You might just be able to hold the clipped pedal at the 3 o'clock position with the brakes kept on....but what a hassle...

... In my case, once stopped and with your foot on the ground I always then raise my clipped-in pedal to 2 o'clock before pushing off giving me the same situation as the nutty coach and none of the hassle!

wycombewheeler | 7 years ago
1 like

An Internet search hits only this page for pedals level stopping. Odd if this is the correct way. Sounds like the coach has found that to be most comfortable for himself and is passing that on as the best way.

There are benefits in trackstanding or if you need to do little sideways hops to adjust position. Also stops the outside pedal hitting the floor if in a velodrome

Mind you at the track it seems the (fixed) pedals position will be dictated by where you stop as the pedals will keep moving until you come to a dead stop.

Dan S replied to wycombewheeler | 7 years ago
0 likes
wycombewheeler wrote:

Mind you at the track it seems the (fixed) pedals position will be dictated by where you stop as the pedals will keep moving until you come to a dead stop.

Yes, but presumably you can control that by riding almost to a standstill and then using your legs to determine when you stop? As seen in the longest lap races? I've never ridden a fixed gear, so I don't know the answer to this!

wycombewheeler replied to Dan S | 7 years ago
0 likes
Dan S wrote:
wycombewheeler wrote:

Yes, but presumably you can control that by riding almost to a standstill and then using your legs to determine when you stop? As seen in the longest lap races? I've never ridden a fixed gear, so I don't know the answer to this!

But in a coaching session you would want all the riders to stop close togethe to speak to them all.

Dan S | 7 years ago
0 likes

No, at 6 and 8 they can't agree on anything for long enough to make that work, even if they could come up with it!

rjfrussell | 7 years ago
0 likes

Just possible that your sons are winding you up?  Dogs can't look up, you know.

wycombewheeler | 7 years ago
2 likes

Sounds track specific. If I am stopped waiting at the lights one foot on the ground, I want the clipped on pedal to be at 1 o clock (in front of 12) ready to have almost a whole downstroke to begin moving while/before clipping in the other foot. I think I tend to unclip at 6 o'clock or sometimes at 12 and then cycling the cranks 180 degrees before coming to complete stop.

ktache | 7 years ago
1 like

Because you trackstand with the pedals in that position.

Dan S | 7 years ago
3 likes

I think you just lift your feet off the pedals and put them on the ground.

Dnnnnnn | 7 years ago
1 like

If you stop with the pedals at 3 and 9 o'clock, how do you get off the bike?

Darkhairedlord replied to Dnnnnnn | 7 years ago
3 likes

Duncann wrote:

If you stop with the pedals at 3 and 9 o'clock, how do you get off the bike?

As they almost say in Apocalypse Now....."Never get off of the bike"

dottigirl | 7 years ago
0 likes

I've always found unclipping  is easier if the foot is at six o'clock. Must be track specific?

Dan S replied to dottigirl | 7 years ago
0 likes
dottigirl wrote:

I've always found unclipping  is easier if the foot is at six o'clock. Must be track specific?

I find it easiest to unclip at 12. Each to their own, I guess!

ibr17xvii replied to dottigirl | 7 years ago
0 likes

dottigirl wrote:

Me too!

benborp | 7 years ago
0 likes

Makes sense if you are stopped on the fence at the track. A little roll back can put peddles right where you don't want them for staying upright.

tritecommentbot | 7 years ago
1 like

What was their reasoning by the way?

Dan S replied to tritecommentbot | 7 years ago
0 likes
unconstituted wrote:

What was their reasoning by the way?

The boys' reasoning is that their coach told them! I'm not sure of the coach's reasoning: my wife took them this week  1

Carton | 7 years ago
0 likes

One foot forward makes it easier to start up again if you're standing over the top tupe, it's a smoother motion back onto the saddle. It also increases your odds of inadvertently scraping your calf against your pedal if you move about before re-mounting. So, as ever, YMMV.

Latest Comments