Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Sidi shoe buckles: have they changed over the years?

After some twelve years and god knows how many uses one of the buckles on my Sidi road shoes gave up. So I looked online and found only one type of buckle. I ordered a pair of these, they just arrived and they don't seem right. I can get the straps in with some force, the buckle sounds strange when you're tightening the strap and to get the strap back out is a real struggle. Has the design changed somewhat over the years?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

Dutchie | 7 years ago
0 likes

Update on the above: this wee trick seemed to work fine when trying it out in the house, but then i put the shoes on and wanted to tighten them up. Once the straps get under tension, the ratchet doesn't grip the straps sufficiently to pull them any tighter. You can push the straps in further with your other hand and they will then stay securely in place, but it means you can't tighten your shoes whilst riding. If you can live with that it's still an okay solution, but i'll be ordering new straps after all. 

Dutchie | 7 years ago
2 likes

Gotta love the net: just happened to come across the tip below, which seems to work. 2 minute job to modify the buckles. 

"Looking at the new buckle from the strap entry point - you'll notice two tiny plastic tabs blocking entry of the older Cinturino strap(same exact width). Simply lance those tiny tabs off with a sharp blade and the older strap now glides in and ratchets securely just like new!"

Dutchie | 7 years ago
0 likes

Just my luck! I hadn't even realised you can change the straps as well. Will be ordering straps then, thanks 

RR | 7 years ago
2 likes

The buckles did change.  Coincidentally that happened about 12 years ago.  I have both old and new and the action on the buckle is different.  You will need to get the matching buckle straps. These will fit the existing soft insteps on your shoes.

Latest Comments