Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Crankset: Standard vs. Compact

I am hoping that someone here can help me with a question I have

When I replaced the crankset when my FSA Omega died I went for the 105 (5800) to match the rest of my groupset. I made the decision (mistake?) of getting a standard rather than compact crankset but now want to change my mind. Is it as simple as changing the chainrings or do I have to buy a whole new crankset?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

14 comments

Pabloid | 7 years ago
0 likes

Funnily enough I did exactly same as you (replacing fsa omega with 105 5800 but failed to order 50/34). I contacted online retailer & sent it back. Have now ordered correctly along with bbr60 bottom bracket, some grease & a bb tool & i'll swap over later this week. 

If you stick with rings you have, i think you'll have to account for chain length & adjust accordingly.

If shop won't have it back i'd cut losses and ebay it & re buy correctly i'm afraid. Good luck.

ClubSmed replied to Pabloid | 7 years ago
0 likes

Pabloid wrote:

Funnily enough I did exactly same as you (replacing fsa omega with 105 5800 but failed to order 50/34). I contacted online retailer & sent it back. Have now ordered correctly along with bbr60 bottom bracket, some grease & a bb tool & i'll swap over later this week. 

If you stick with rings you have, i think you'll have to account for chain length & adjust accordingly.

If shop won't have it back i'd cut losses and ebay it & re buy correctly i'm afraid. Good luck.

Unfortunately I did a tour on the bike immediately after fitting it so there is no chance of returning it. I did realise my mistake before fitting it but if I hadn't fitted it I would have missed out on the tour and I did not want to do that.

I have already managed to get hold of the rings for just £39 but wanted to make sure that I can swap them over before potentially spending a rather fruitless afternoon trying to fit them. As opinion seems to be divided on this it looks like I am going to have to give it a go anyway  1

fukawitribe replied to ClubSmed | 7 years ago
1 like

ClubSmed wrote:

I have already managed to get hold of the rings for just £39 but wanted to make sure that I can swap them over before potentially spending a rather fruitless afternoon trying to fit them. As opinion seems to be divided on this it looks like I am going to have to give it a go anyway  1

It'll be fine, as long as they are 4-arm 110 BCD Shimano compatible chain-rings  1 Not sure why some people were insisting that they were different whilst ignoring the facts, it's not like it's an opinion piece... hey ho.

Edit : Nice price btw.

ClubSmed replied to fukawitribe | 7 years ago
0 likes

fukawitribe wrote:

It'll be fine, as long as they are 4-arm 110 BCD Shimano compatible chain-rings  1 Not sure why some people were insisting that they were different whilst ignoring the facts, it's not like it's an opinion piece... hey ho.

They are 4-arm original 105 11 speed chain rings so looks like they will fit fine.

fukawitribe wrote:

Edit : Nice price btw.

Thanks, I was lucky enough to find someone selling them on eBay who had ridden them for 500 miles before changing to Q Rings.

Woldsman | 7 years ago
0 likes

5800 chain rings "BoltCircle110mm" so states  Chain Reaction Cycles:  http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/shimano-105-fc5800-11sp-double...

Not  an economical replacement for a two chain rings only option. Maybe worth a thought if replacing one only?

StraelGuy | 7 years ago
0 likes

If you google replacement rings for the 5800 chainset, the cost of both rings is WAY more than the cost of a whole new chainset with rings.

fukawitribe replied to StraelGuy | 7 years ago
0 likes

guyrwood wrote:

If you google replacement rings for the 5800 chainset, the cost of both rings is WAY more than the cost of a whole new chainset with rings.

~€52 for 50/34 on Rose bikes

https://www.rosebikes.com/article/shimano-105-fc-5800-chainring/aid:786501

mavisto | 7 years ago
0 likes

You will probably be able to get a 39 or maybe 38 tooth inner to fit, but the reason they are classed as compact is because the bcd's are different.  Normally 130mm on a standard and 110mm on a compact.  On a side note, Stronglight seem to do their own thing.

fukawitribe replied to mavisto | 7 years ago
3 likes

mavisto wrote:

You will probably be able to get a 39 or maybe 38 tooth inner to fit, but the reason they are classed as compact is because the bcd's are different.  Normally 130mm on a standard and 110mm on a compact.  On a side note, Stronglight seem to do their own thing.

The BCDs are not different on the 5800, it's 110mm like the other recent Shimano 4-arm chainsets.

kevvjj | 7 years ago
0 likes

I would assume the bolt circle diameter is different for each. If that is the case then it's a new crankset I'm afraid.

fukawitribe replied to kevvjj | 7 years ago
2 likes

kevvjj wrote:

I would assume the bolt circle diameter is different for each. If that is the case then it's a new crankset I'm afraid.

The 5800 chainset follows the recent Shimano approach of unified BCD - so compact, mid-compact or standard double will be fine.

JohnnyRemo | 7 years ago
0 likes

Try on the classifieds to see if there's someone looking to swop like for like.

StraelGuy | 7 years ago
0 likes

I've just replaced my RS500 chainset with a 5800 105 set. The forged, shaped rings are so expensive you'd be far better off buying a whole new crankset that trying to buy rings for it.

peted76 | 7 years ago
0 likes

Should be as simple as changing the chainrings and adjusting the chain. 

Latest Comments