Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Are Velotoze a gimmick?

I recently bought some Velotoze and although I knew what they were going into it I am still a bit disappointed. Velotoze are basically a latex rubber overshoe. They are obviously very stretchy and have no zip so putting them on is a bit fiddly and involves rolling them up your leg first then back down over the shoe. Still they look very aero and smart (and a little kinky?) and very waterproof.

Yesterday I was going out for a ride but delayed to miss a morning shower, but the roads were still wet with spray, so I decided to try the Velotoze. Well my feet stayed sort of dry as my socks were damp with sweat afterwards, but not wet with rainwater at least. However after the first ride there were scraps and small puncture holes on the under sole toe and outer beside the ratchet fastening.

Although the Velotoze did their intended job and given the nature of the material damage is probably easy, I cannot see these lasting a whole winter. I will probably only wear them at a weekend anyway as putting them on/off is so difficult, they are not ideal for commuting. Sure one guy I saw wearing some natty white short ones looked cool in the summer, but looking cool seems to be the No. 1 feature.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

wycombewheeler | 7 years ago
0 likes

thats why i splashed out on a pair of winter noots, warm and waterproof and I expect them to last several seasons, unlike overshoes. Nothing comes in at the bottom, although rain can get in down the ankle, but I suspect a bit of tape could solve that.

Simontuck | 7 years ago
0 likes

I only used mine for racing and if I knew the commute in was going to be really wet. They are brilliantly waterproof. They aren't really a long term solution because of the sweat and longevity issues. There is no way to keep your feet completely dry in proper rain, just as there's no way  to keep the rest of you completely dry in a downpour. Even in Summer on a cloudless day, I still end up damp because I sweat. It's a compromise, and trying to reduce the amount of cold water that gets in and sits on you and to stop the cold air from getting in and reducing the temperature of the water thats closer to your core and extremities. Even gloves will in the end give in and let water through the cuff if you're wet enough!

On shorter commutes and rides, or in isolated showers you might just about manage to stay dry and really we don't get too many days when it just rains hard for hours on end, so just accept it and manage as best you can?

gthornton101 | 7 years ago
0 likes

Completely agree with you.  I've tried various overshoes before but once you finally get these on properly they are superbly waterproof.  Socks are sweaty on warmer days yes, but I'd take that as the comprimise on being as waterproof as they are.

Durability is a whole other issue.  I got about 2months of use out of mine before they started falling apart beyond use (scrapes, holes, nicks etc).  Particularly, as you mention, underneath.

Cheap as they are I'd say they are great for racing or maybe longer weekend rides, but they aren't up to the on/off routine twice a day for commuting.  I've moved back to neoprene overshoes and waterproof socks.

Dicklexic | 7 years ago
0 likes

I have some and they are in my experience fine for short rides only on warmer (but wet) days. They are indeed very waterproof and do prevent rain coming down the leg, the weak link of most overshoes. They also seem more durable than expected as although mine also have many small nicks and marks, so far they have not torn at any of these points. My issue is that after any duration longer than say 30-45 minutes at a decent tempo, my feet get so sweaty that they end up being just as wet as if I'd not worn them. Maybe my feet sewat more than some, but I feel the complete lack of breathability is a significant flaw. Obviously you are never going to get any amount of breathability with a latex material. They do get easier to fit with practice and I will continue to use them on very wet rides, but they won't be replacing my Endura Road 2's once the temperatures start to drop.

nopants | 7 years ago
0 likes

I think they are great! They are the only overshoes that are really waterproof.

On longer rides, in cool, damp, weather, they are ideal. I've done 100 miles on Dartmoor in the rain and the only part of me that was dry was my feet. 2 weeks ago I rode from Edinburgh to Cambridge, and again it pissed down, but I had dry feet. They actually last a bit longer than you think.

They are a pain in the arse to get on,  and your feet do get a bit sweaty if it is warm, or you are working really hard. I wouldn't dream of using then every day, but they are the first thing I reach for if it is really wet.

A2thaJ | 7 years ago
0 likes

All overshoes are generally wear out relatively quickly.

re:sweat wetness..... When its properly cold this shouldnt be such a problem for you, but when its mild it will be.

You may have more luck by putting tape on the inside of your shoe under the sole to block up the air vents.... then just a cheapo wool/neophene overshoe to keep dry.

duckbill | 7 years ago
1 like

Think you have answered your own question really.

Latest Comments