Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Year-round wheelset upgrade from Zondas...

Hi

After nearly 3 years, my zondas are at their end. Am looking for an upgrade for a year-round decent wheel for rolling terrain and some gentle hills around London mostly... Price is not a major concern but I'd be keen to have a wheel that can do both winter and summer riding...

So far I've been looking at:

Shimano RS81 C35

Shimano RS81 C50

Campag Bullet 50s

Any views from anyone? This needs to be compatible with a 10sp Shimano drivetrain.

many thanks,

D

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

Simon E | 7 years ago
1 like

Handbuilts.

I would not describe RS81s or Ksyriums as year-round wheels (unless you live somewhere like Tenerife).

drosco | 7 years ago
0 likes

Ksyriums take some beating.

StraelGuy | 7 years ago
1 like

I agree Liam. I've had wheels with proprietary spokes and rims before and it's not worth it. It either makes wheels essentially disposable or not financially viable to fix if the rim wears out or you break a spoke. I run Hunts on both my bikes for just this reason. If 'Price is not a major concern ' was true for me I'd Google for a local wheel builder and give him a bell.

700c replied to StraelGuy | 7 years ago
0 likes

guyrwood wrote:

I agree Liam. I've had wheels with proprietary spokes and rims before and it's not worth it. It either makes wheels essentially disposable or not financially viable to fix if the rim wears out or you break a spoke. I run Hunts on both my bikes for just this reason. If 'Price is not a major concern ' was true for me I'd Google for a local wheel builder and give him a bell.

This is the drawback with the Zonda's - the rims on mine are on their last legs and can't be replaced economically. However, having just put them back on for winter, with some new wider tyres, I am reminded just how awesome they are - stiff, responsive, smooth, durable with good braking. This is coming from my summer set of carbon tubs.

With that in mind, I'd also be inclined to go custom to get something as stiff aand light as your Zonda's - or just get another set of Zonda's!

Liam Cahill | 7 years ago
0 likes

I'm guessing from the fact you've listed aluminium rims that you want decent braking performance. Mavic do their exalith surface on the new Cosmic Pro. Cracking wheels but there are plenty out there. Maybe get some custom built from your LBS or Strada ect?

roomservicetaco | 7 years ago
0 likes

Curious what's wrong with your Zonda's?   Those wheels should last much more than 3 years regardless of weather conditions.  If they are truly done after 3 years of your style of riding and maintenance,  I'd expect that any of the others you get will last less than 3 years. 

Latest Comments