Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Tubeless tyres for winter use

As I have successfully used and enjoyed running tubeless tyres through the summer months I have been thinking about running them on some Shimano 6800 tubeless ready wheels through the winter.

I am sure I am not alone and would value opinions on if the Scwalbe One's that I used through the summer are up to winter use or if there is a better tubelesss tyre for winter?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

bob_c | 7 years ago
0 likes

I'd be interested in them! Mattydubster, what's the best way to get in touch?

mattydubster | 7 years ago
0 likes

I would highly recommend the Schwalbe s-one's.  I have the 30mm version and they are awesome!

(And...ahem...I do have a spare set for sale if anybody wants some - double ordered by accident from Rose Bikes and never got round to returning them)..

Steve Abraham | 7 years ago
0 likes

Put a big enough hole in a tubeless tyre and the sealant won't work, but that would have to be a big hole that would ruin a similar tubed tyre. So you need to pick the right tyre for the job wether it's a tubed or tubeless. Tubeless could be a lot harder to sort out at the roadside if you do destroy a tyre but you can always put a tube in and boot a tubeless tyre to get out of trouble.

I use tubeless in winter for the very reason that I can use fast tyres in winter without mending punctures. Schwalbe Ones are fast tyres. Not built to last or handle rough stuff but for speed. They give a very nice ride. My other options ae use fast tyres and mend punctures or use Marathn Plus, not mend punctures but not have such a nice ride as well as being slower for the same effort. I use Marathon Plusses on my hybrid for shopping etc. 

I'd also recommend disk brakes if you're using Stans rims. (I don't know about any other rims) Stans are very lightweight and using them in the wet will wear them out quickly. That might not be practical for everyone. Maybe there are some heavier duty tubeless rims around now? 

riotgibbon | 7 years ago
0 likes

S-ones (which I run, and never worry about punctures any more) are 30mm, G-ones are 35/38

http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/schwalbe-s-one-evo-osc-tl-easy-30-622...

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/schwalbe-g-one-evo-microskin-tl-easy-folding-roa...

I have mudguards on my Diverge, so have kept the S-Ones because that's all that will fit, but I would recommend the biggest you can get ...

mrml | 7 years ago
0 likes

The original/current Schwalbe Ones were available at good prices from some of the German retailers when I last looked (a couple of weeks ago).  I will be running a 28mm pair through the winter. 

iso2000 | 7 years ago
0 likes

I was going to suggest Schwalbe S One but it looks like they have now been replaced by G One Speed though it looks to be the same tyre. 

harman_mogul | 7 years ago
0 likes

Schwalbe One is refreshed for 2017, continues to be offered. Durano family is rec'd for max puncture resistance.

shaftdrive | 7 years ago
0 likes

Thanks mtbtomo. I have been led to believe and read articles to say that the Pro Ones are more of a race day tyre than the original One.Indeed they are 70g lighter which addresses the weight of a tubeless tyre with sealant being the same as a conventional tyre/tube set up. As most of my riding is on back roads in Norfolk and Suffolk with lots of flints etc ( one of my club mates punctured on a Scwalbe Marathon on a reliability ride today) I just have some reservations about using them in winter. Would you know if Schwalbe have stopped making the original One in favour of the Pro One?  Glad to hear that you are using them in manky conditions also.Thanks for the reply.

mtbtomo | 7 years ago
0 likes

Why would they not be "up to winter use"?  In what way?  Grip in the wet?  Surely you can offset as possible loss of grip through being able to run slightly lower pressures with tubeless?

I like my Pro Ones and have no qualms about running them in winter or manky conditions but others have grumbled they don't last long.

CXR94Di2 | 7 years ago
0 likes

depends if you can fit bigger 30-40mm?. Schwalbe have some new tubeless, check out their website

Latest Comments