Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Need a new Road Bike for £250 to £300 MAX

Hi Guys

Im selling my Red 2010 Carrera Virtuoso bike,  Really want a new one,  can't afford more than £350, will just be doing trips to the Gym and a couple of weekends a month cycling to keep fit lol!

I'm 6 foot 3, so what bike size would you recommend? and for my budget, what bike choices do I have?

my Carrera from new has never been great, gears dont felt right, kept on slipping, bit cheap and nasty maybe, although that cost me £329 when I bought it lol it's been serviced lots but not ridden a great deal, but getting the cycling bug now

thanks 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

38 comments

Jack Osbourne snr | 7 years ago
1 like

There are hundreds of cheap bikes on gumtree for mostly one of two reasons:

1. They bought a bike to try cycling. They got hooked and went upgrade happy
2. They bought a bike to try cycling. They went out once, wobbled about for three miles, sweated a bit, got cut up by a minicab and put the bike straight on Gumtree.

If you look on gumtree you'll find millions of bits of entry level sports gear that people bought and didn't give a fair crack of the whip.

I bought my son a Triban 500 a few weeks ago as his Frog flat bar is too small and he wanted to try a road bike.

It got thrown on the deck about 15 times over a two hour period until he started get used to the brakes/saddle/new riding position/wobbly skinny tyres etc. After multiple tantrums and a bit of bike adjustment he finally started to relax on the bike.

This weekend we had another couple of tantrums over how to change gear using a brifter.

Last night he made me promise to take him out on it every day in the October break.

Where kids throw bikes on the deck, Adults throw bikes on gumtree.

Scotsmanincumbria | 7 years ago
0 likes

If you are still looking for a road bike I have my Trek 1.5 Alpha for sale. 56 cm frame, Tiagra triple cranksets, tiagra rear mech all in good working order £330 ono.

bendertherobot | 7 years ago
0 likes

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/verenti-technique-tiagra-2016-ex-demo/

See if one of those is your size and pay a few quid more. Hmm, just seen your 6ft 3. These are 52 so no good for you. That said, is your current bike the right size? Looks very small.

Here's another nice one. More than you want to pay mind.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/verenti-technique-sora-2016/

Luxtrundler | 7 years ago
1 like

Apart from potentially removing the thumb blob shifters, which I know from experience can be a pain, I can't see a replacement being a massive improvement on this, once the gears properly adjusted and potentially a new chain.  Chances are the gear cable tension needs a slight adjustment and maybe the limit screws tweaking.  A bike shop would have this done while you wait.

So yet another +1 for the service, though I 100% empathise with the burning desire to puchase a new ride.

Waynester | 7 years ago
1 like

Because I want a bike to ride and take to a shop to be serviced,  I don't have the time to spend taking bikes to bits, I'm not the slightest bit mechanically minded lol

I'm self employed and work long hours,  including weekends as a professional musician 

Jack Osbourne snr replied to Waynester | 7 years ago
1 like
Waynester wrote:

Because I want a bike to ride and take to a shop to be serviced,  I don't have the time to spend taking bikes to bits, I'm not the slightest bit mechanically minded lol

I'm self employed and work long hours,  including weekends as a professional musician 

If you're a professional musician, you are morally obliged to keep the virtuoso!

If you want a new bike, look at the B'Twin (s) suggested at the start of this thread.

As I've said above, if you want to spend even less cash and get a bike that FEELS like new, take the virtuoso to a decent bike shop ( not one of the chain stores) and get it serviced.

I suspect that all it needs AT MOST is new cables, maybe a new chain, the gears adjusted and possibly the wheels given a quick truing. I honestly believe it will feel like a new bike.

The big chainring looks only very slightly worn so from the 4 teeth visible in the photo, I'd say the bike was very new in mileage terms.

As general advice, it's worth remembering that cables and chains are consumable items and need replacement when they start to fail. Gears can be affected by changes in cable tension and do need adjusting over time.

Once you have the bike given a full service getting it retuned and consumables replaced as required will only cost you a few quid over a year.

Jack Osbourne snr | 7 years ago
4 likes

It's a perfectly useable road bike. Take it to an independent bike shop in your area and get them to give it a service.

Should be no more than 60 quid to get what will feel like a new bike.

Waynester | 7 years ago
0 likes

Brakes 

Waynester | 7 years ago
0 likes

Gear set

Waynester | 7 years ago
0 likes

Another pic

Waynester | 7 years ago
0 likes

Few more pics, I don't know anything about bikes or how good the current stuff on it is

Waynester | 7 years ago
0 likes

Gave my Carrera a wash today, not bad for an 8 year old bike, but want someat better still... gears still sound "tickety tick" when changing

mike the bike | 7 years ago
1 like

Go immediately to edinburghbicycle.com, where you will find something tough and handsome for similar money.  They are very, very good to deal with.

StraelGuy | 7 years ago
1 like

I agree to an extent. My winter bike was bought via the C2W scheme for £700. It has a very nice full chromoly frame and Sora groupset but the wheels were cheap Chinese no-name garbage and got replaced by a set of Aksiums pretty quickly. 

Waynester | 7 years ago
0 likes

Has anyone on here got a Claud Butler Torino R3? are these good bikes?

Key features of the R3 bike include:

Lightweight alloy 6061 T4 T6 hydroformed road frame
Internal rear brake cable routing
Carbon fibre fork
Shimano 3500 Sora 18 speed gear system
Shimano 12-26T cassette
Shimano brake lever integrated STI gear shifters
RPM compact alloy 34/50T chainset
Tektro alloy dual pivot brakes with alloy levers
Alloy double wall wheel rims
Alloy quick release wheel hubs
Kenda 700c x 25c road tyres
Exile alloy compact road bars
Exile alloy A-head stem
Mudguard capable

Finished in a semi-matt blue paint job, the over-weld decals and Exile finishing kit set the Claud Butler Torino SR3 bike off a treat.

Hydroformed alloy frame, carbon fibre fork, Shimano Sora 18 speed gearing, Tektro dual pivot brakes, RPM chainset and double wall rims complete the job perfectly.

Waynester | 7 years ago
0 likes

I'm looking for a brand new bike really, but thanks 

CStar replied to Waynester | 7 years ago
0 likes

Waynester wrote:

I'm looking for a brand new bike really, but thanks 

For £300 you're not going to get much from a new bike. At that price you get cheap, heavy chinese made components  like on the Carerra you've already got and you've seen the issues with that.

Remember it's not how bling your bike looks, but how you feel riding it. If it is heavy and falls apart, cycling rapidly loses its appeal.  Good quality lasts.  My daughter rides a Boardman Comp whose frame is old, chipped and beaten, but mechanically it is excellent and she flies round the town with a grin on her face.

CStar | 7 years ago
0 likes

I've got a 105 equipped, aluminium, 9 Speed compact, large, Fausto Coppi San Remo with good Shimano wheels.  It is light years ahead of your Carerra, but it is used and while mechanically completely sound, it has the odd knock and scratch. 

I'm 6'2", so I reckon it would fit you. I've loved riding it, but it is now surplus to requirements for me since I bought a carbon bike in the spring, so it is just cluttering up the garage.  Would cost you a lot less than £300.

I'm based Berks/Surrey/Hants border area if you are interested.

hennie | 7 years ago
2 likes

Honestly, I think you're better spending that kind of money on a used bike. It'll have better components and less likely to have some of the problems mentioned above. Any bike in that price range isn't going to be the greatest of quality.

ibr17xvii | 7 years ago
0 likes

Ribble have a bike for £300 called "Prime" which I have & it hasn't given me any issues whatsoever but unfortunately it's OOS at the moment. 

Waynester | 7 years ago
0 likes

More horrific B'Twin 500 SE stories, I'm just not prepared to risk it guys

3 months after buying the bike and after my first ride in the rain my rear wheel started to make a grinding noise. I took the bike down to my local Decathlon in Surrey Quays where they said the rear hub was damaged and offered to replace the rear wheel. After looking online I found that the problems with the wheels are quite common with the bike. The store didn't have the 650 wheel in stock so I was told to wait 2-3 weeks for the wheel to be available. 4 weeks later I had heard nothing so i contacted the store and was told the 650 wheel isn't available anywhere and they didn't know when they would get any in stock. I have looked into buying a new wheel myself but the 650 size is so unusual that very few places stock them and the places that do sell them only sell wheels that cost more than my bike is worth. So now I am stuck with a bike I cannot ride.

I bought this bike for commuting and aside from slime tubes, rode it as is it came. I found the gears were a little off at the rear which I put down to bedding in (50 miles) but the front was rubbing between the chain and the dérailleur quite badly. I live 25 miles away from the nearest store so took it to a local bike shop to look at it. They had it for 2 hours and couldn't fix the front having no idea why it wouldn't work. Back to decathlon southampton. Spent an hour trying, no change. Third visit I was assured fixed. No change. Got a replacement bike and within 3 miles same problem, unusable. Another reviewer has had the same problem, maybe a bad batch who knows. I really liked the remainder of the bike and it's a shame I've chosen to move away to a different model in the range as I think this bike could be a lot better for a little bit more £. Credit to some of the staff in particular Thomas who got me my replacement (3) bike set up half hour before closing with no notice from management I was coming despite specifically defining my arrival time and the bike I wanted instead. Luckily a female manager (didn't catch name) was on hand (also really pleasant) to organise the exchange. Jamie was also really welcoming and credit to Decathlon for not fobbing me off (although a few false promises to call me back did happen) I will write a review of my rock finder 540 (wanted sram/shimano gears !) once I get to test and have high hopes

received my b twin triban 500 se in the post only to find the rear derailleur was mounted completely twisted on the frame (a factory malfunction that could not be adjusted) . so now waiting for another one. I will be returning that one to if it has the same problem .

Dnnnnnn replied to Waynester | 7 years ago
1 like

Waynester wrote:

More horrific B'Twin 500 SE stories, I'm just not prepared to risk it guys

3 months after buying the bike and after my first ride in the rain my rear wheel started to make a grinding noise. I took the bike down to my local Decathlon in Surrey Quays where they said the rear hub was damaged and offered to replace the rear wheel. After looking online I found that the problems with the wheels are quite common with the bike. The store didn't have the 650 wheel in stock so I was told to wait 2-3 weeks for the wheel to be available. 4 weeks later I had heard nothing so i contacted the store and was told the 650 wheel isn't available anywhere and they didn't know when they would get any in stock. I have looked into buying a new wheel myself but the 650 size is so unusual that very few places stock them and the places that do sell them only sell wheels that cost more than my bike is worth. So now I am stuck with a bike I cannot ride.

Those three 1-star three reviews you've looked at are alonside 121 5-star ones!

650 wheels are quite rare. But unless you're buying a very small bike you'll be on 700 wheels and there is no shortage of those so nothing to worry about.

Also this was a problem with the freehub - it shouldn't require a new wheel. Swapping a freehub is (usually) a simple job - although it could be that this freehub was a cheap no-brand job that's hard to swap or get parts for. 

I wouldn't let that these stories put you off. It would be better to get a bike with full Shimano branded Claris or better groupset but you'll be hard pushed to find that for £300.

Waynester | 7 years ago
0 likes

The link you put at bottom of message didn't work Duncan

Dnnnnnn replied to Waynester | 7 years ago
0 likes

Waynester wrote:

The link you put at bottom of message didn't work Duncan

Sorry! It was just the results of a Google search for "carrera virtuoso road bike 2010 review" which brought up a 4.5/5 star review. I have a soft spot for the older, better Carreras - both my first MTB and road bike were Carreras - the latter a nice 531-framed thing I'd still ride if it hadn't been nickedindecision

Dnnnnnn | 7 years ago
0 likes

"my Carrera from new has never been great, gears never felt right, kept on slipping, bit cheap and nasty maybe, although that cost me £329"

There's no fundamental reason why the gears on a Carrera should be any worse than those of a similarly-priced bike. The kit made by just a few firms - Shimano being the biggest player - not by Halfords' Saturday lads.

More expensive gears offer more ratios, be lighter in weight and feel quicker and slicker - but something like Shimano's Claris groupset - which you might find on a £329 bike - performs adequately (slipping gears are not adequate!)

If gears slipping, it's probably because they were one or more of: in need of adjustment (possibly from new), worn, or misused. Bikes differ from most consumer products in that they need more regular maintenance and adjustment, even the expensive ones. It's true that Halfords can be hit-and-miss when it comes to setting up and repairing bikes but even well-prepared gears will wear, go out of alignment and/or can be misused. 

But since we are where we are and you need a new bike, I agree with the others that the BTwins are often a very good choice. Carreras can be good too, although Halfords erratic and misleading pricing can make it harder to tell what's good value. The Vanquish and Virtuoso usually have decent specs - look for carbon forks and Shimano Claris or even part-Sora groupsets (avoid the 14 speed and steel forked models).

Looking for Claris and carbon forks is probably good general advice, as is look out for last year's models at reduced prices. Merlin's PR7 would be on my shortlist too - more exclusive than BTwin or Carrera.

It's undeniable that Tribans get great reviews - but is this your old bike - https://goo.gl/QDWDak ?

Anthony.C | 7 years ago
2 likes

Maybe you could go for a singlespeed if it's just to go to the gym. Easier to maintain and you could get something better for the money.

kil0ran | 7 years ago
4 likes

I ran a B'Twin Triban for 3 years as a winter commuter. Utterly reliable and did the job. Chains, freewheels, and cassettes are consumable items, particularly if you're bashing around in winter on salty potholed roads so you should expect to replace them the same as you would tyres/exhaust on your car.

The good thing about the Tribans is that the frame is a good basis for future upgrades. Cycling on a budget really means learning something about bike maintenance (plenty of free courses around) and once you've got the basics you can easily improve the kit on your bike by sniping around the sales and eBay bargains.

Dnnnnnn replied to kil0ran | 7 years ago
1 like

kil0ran wrote:

I ran a B'Twin Triban for 3 years as a winter commuter. Utterly reliable and did the job. Chains, freewheels, and cassettes are consumable items, particularly if you're bashing around in winter on salty potholed roads so you should expect to replace them the same as you would tyres/exhaust on your car.

The good thing about the Tribans is that the frame is a good basis for future upgrades. Cycling on a budget really means learning something about bike maintenance (plenty of free courses around) and once you've got the basics you can easily improve the kit on your bike by sniping around the sales and eBay bargains.

+1.

Learning some simple maintenance and adjustment skills is easy, satisfying and saves you a fortune in money and probably time.

kil0ran replied to Dnnnnnn | 7 years ago
1 like

Duncann wrote:

kil0ran wrote:

+1.

Learning some simple maintenance and adjustment skills is easy, satisfying and saves you a fortune in money and probably time.

Mine only goes to the LBS for wheel builds and headset bearings, and that's only because with jsut the one bike I don't think the investment in tools/time is worth it. 

drosco | 7 years ago
3 likes

My mate just got a B Twin. For the money it's a great bike, I think anyone would struggle to do much better for less than £300. Commutes and does the odd sportive on it.

Pages

Latest Comments