Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

SPD's for CX

I'm having problems clipping in to spd's after jumps etc, no problem with releasing, I have the tension set low, and wonder if others have similar problems. The actual recess in the sole of the shoe for the cleat is pretty tight so not much room for error, this could be the reason perhaps...........i'm thinking of chopping some of the tread away !

I use Time for my road bikes so have no experience of spd's and guess that with road applications speed of clipping in isn't an issue, but any CX'ers out there have any advice.............alternative pedals perhaps ?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

graybags | 7 years ago
0 likes

Just reserved  a pair of MX4's from Halfords, will see how I get on with them, hopefully the Mrs won't check the credit card bill too carefully !

jollygoodvelo replied to graybags | 7 years ago
0 likes

graybags wrote:

Just reserved  a pair of MX4's from Halfords, will see how I get on with them, hopefully the Mrs won't check the credit card bill too carefully !

Always easier to ask forgiveness than permission.

And also: your wife checks your credit card?  Schoolboy error.

cqexbesd | 7 years ago
0 likes

I used to use crank bros candy 2s and they were certainly very good but inevitably they fell apart whilst cycling and were irrepairable.

I am now using Time ATACs and I find them also excellent. I don't suffer from the accelerated cleat wearing that spoxehub has seen - and I go touring with only one pair of shoes so I do a lot of walking in them - but I vaguely recall that they changed the alloy used to make the cleats a while back for that very reason. I _think_ when I first got them there was a choice of cleats available but now there just seems to be one. I've had the same cleats for at least 2 years now though replacement may be due soon.

Neither had any trouble with mud.

Jack Osbourne snr | 7 years ago
0 likes

Been a while since I last used eggbeaters but I can vaguely recall that feeling. After a while, you get used to it.

One thing I found to make a huge difference with eggbeaters was carbon soled shoes. I did not like eggbeaters combined with carbon soles.

graybags | 7 years ago
0 likes

cheers all, v.helpfull, have also heard good reports about Candy's, but also reference to egg beaters being like having the ball of your foot on an ice cube !

spoxehub | 7 years ago
0 likes

Everyone's opinion varies on clipless for CX. 

But what does seem to be universally agreed on is that Shimano, whilst cheap and reliable, clog up extremely well. I've found that the cleats don't clear well after running sections, generally speaking, and the pedal design allows mud to be compacted into the mechanism.

I run Crank Bros Candy's too. They're pretty good and as described above the platform works wonders when you need it over the Eggbeaters. I have found in maximud that they can also clog nicely too, but a good whack of your shoe on the pedal and it's usually game on again.

The best pedals I ever ran were Time ATAC's. Never clogged up once in five years of racing on them. But the cleats used to last a couple of races max. Ridiculously soft material.

I trim my shoes too. Pretty sure most people do it.

Jack Osbourne snr | 7 years ago
0 likes

Trimming the lugs of the shoe around the cleat is common practice.

You can also buy little shims to make the cleat sit proud (or close to proud ) of the lugs, although this may accelerate wear from walking.

If you're considering pedals, look at the Crank Bros eggbeater family.

The eggbeaters themselves are the best mud-shedders out there with the Candy a close second so any clods shouldn't cause an issue.

The eggbeaters also don't have a platform to cause interference with the tread of a shoe.

I use Candy pedals for everything. I use the thin plastic shims supplied with the cleats when used in newish shoes. Once the tread has worn down the shims are unnecessary.

Latest Comments