Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

One of those days, had to make the dreaded phone call...

"Hi, I'm stuck in the middle of nowhere, can you come and get me?"

It's not worth going into the shouting match about how I ruined the day, or that the postcode for the garage I was waiting at was actually wrong, sending her 8 miles up the road via a massively long way around.

The upshot to all of this is that there is precisely zero chance she'll ever come and pick me up again, so I need to ensure that I never get stuck like that again.

From a technical point of view I didn't really do anything wrong; I got a puncture so replaced the tube.  Unfortunately the brand new spare that I was carrying had a knackered valve and wouldn't take any air.  Fair enough, so I fixed the puncture in the old tube, put that back on and inflated it - unfortunately, when I unscrewed the pump the valve core came with it...

My multi-tool seems to have everything apart from pliers, which is not entirely surprising - but did mean I had no-way of tightening the valve core enough that it would stay in when I unscrewed the pump.

I normally carry the following:

- Spare tube

- Tyre boot + a set of those lezyne puncture repair stickers

- Mini-pump (of the screw on kind)

- A tenner

While this has sufficed for the last 4 years, it didn't do the trick today.  So onto the questions:

- Can anyone recommend some decent Butyl inner tubes without removeable cores? I clearly never remember to superglue the ****** things, so I need to ensure that issue doesn't recur.  I don't like the idea of sealant particularly so I've never used it - though I suspect I may have to change my view on this now.  I'd been punture free for the last 10000km, have now had 5 this summer.

- I don't take my wallet with me for waterproofing reasons and pocket space reasons - has anyone seen a waterproof phone case (for a large handset, LG G4) with extra space for credit cards/cash?

- Can anyone recommend a mini-pump with a flexible tube from pump to valve, that isn't a screw on one?

- Is a service like Uber any use for a taxi from god-knows-where in Surrey back into London?  This might be the catalyst for me to actually sign up to it.

Any other suggestions?  

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

35 comments

Nixster | 7 years ago
0 likes

I see you've found the valve core tool on Wiggle. I've got a few, they're good for getting £9.99 things over the free postage limit (and vital when running valve extenders). 

Ride tubs is my other semi-serious suggestion.  In the event of a sudden loss of pressure you can still ride home on them, albeit slowly. Does knacker the tub though.  I've not found Conti Sprinter Gatorskins that reliable so have had far too much practice recently.

Time for the winter wheels I think!

ktache | 7 years ago
0 likes

For the tight rims,

I have tried, in the past, slightly diluted washing up liquid, which helped but was still very difficult, conti grand prix on 26' mavic mountain bike rims, so tight that they rarely seated even when at the pressures I could manage, which caused vibration, resulting in temporary loss of feeling in my little fingers.  How we learn.  Awful footpump and mini pump.

Any way these days I tend to talc the tubes and the inner tyre, some gets on the bead and it slides over the rim.  The other end of my Pedros Milk Lever tends to help that last little bit, if needed.  Doing one thing that helps, helps another.  Wouldn't work for tubeless, mind.

I like the warming idea, Always better doing work in the warm, and softening stuff as well.

DaveE128 | 7 years ago
0 likes

I seem to recall from when I had a similar bad experience with loose valves (thanks Conti!) that part of my chain tool can be abused to perform the role of makeshift valve wrench. I think it's the gap that the rivet is pushed through. Not 100% sure about this however!

I think that Specialized tubes don't have removable valves, though not 100% sure about this either. They are a reasonable weight and can often be had for a sensible price too.

Edit - seems I was right about the chain tool: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cdolc0sybgs

sergius | 7 years ago
0 likes

Folding, I'm generally banished into the cold for any bike related maintenance tasks - so I've noever tried heating them up first - will give that a go next time.

sergius | 7 years ago
0 likes

Turns out it wasn't a busted valve in the replacement tube, it just came pre-punctured from Continental  2

Sodding great hole in the thing so the hand pump made no headway at all.  Had a grumble at Wiggle about it so they've given me a voucher for some new ones.  The 90p valve core tools seem to work ok as well.

One further question, is there a knack I'm missing for fitting new tyres onto rims for the first time?  It took me over 30 minutes to manage to fit the new Gatorskin tyre I bought last night, I've always found that process awkward but that tyre was taking the biscuit.

Any hints?

kil0ran replied to sergius | 7 years ago
0 likes

sergius wrote:

Turns out it wasn't a busted valve in the replacement tube, it just came pre-punctured from Continental  2

Sodding great hole in the thing so the hand pump made no headway at all.  Had a grumble at Wiggle about it so they've given me a voucher for some new ones.  The 90p valve core tools seem to work ok as well.

One further question, is there a knack I'm missing for fitting new tyres onto rims for the first time?  It took me over 30 minutes to manage to fit the new Gatorskin tyre I bought last night, I've always found that process awkward but that tyre was taking the biscuit.

Any hints?

Wired or folding?

Assuming new tyre is going on at home make sure its nice and warm - works particularly well for folders. Just hang it on the rad for ten minutes (preferably in the missus' boudoir as no doubt she'll love the stink of fresh German rubber  3

Simon E replied to sergius | 7 years ago
0 likes

sergius wrote:

is there a knack I'm missing for fitting new tyres onto rims for the first time? 

Have a look at http://cyclingtips.com/2016/09/ask-ella-how-can-i-make-tough-tyre-change...

FatBoyW | 7 years ago
0 likes

Cut old worn tyre to make boot for  tears, easybto make a few sizes and won't wear the inner tube

stevio1967 | 7 years ago
0 likes

Had the valve cores undo twice stranding me but in both cases it was less than 5 miles from home... In both cases it was a Conti tube that let me down - both bought @ the same time, combined with a Lezyne screw on pump. Now do tubes up to breaking point with pliers first...

madcarew | 7 years ago
1 like

Has anyone suggested change the wife??? Jesus. God help her next time she wants picking up from the station at night.

But on a slightly more practical level

• Always 2 tubes.
  • a few leaches (patches that don't require glue)
  • Non-screw in pump. I use a fat mtb pump which takes 50 strokes to get the (road bike) tyre to 60 psi. I've never had a valve core unscrew. Ever. In 30 yrs.
  • ziplock bag (free with pick and mix at supermarket) for phone and pony.
  • Piece of icecream tub lid about 3" x 1.5" used as a temporary boot. Will cover significant tear in tyre. Used many times successfully. Will eventually wear thru innertube, but only after about 200 miles.
  • Get a partner who doesn't mind coming and picking you up, considers it fair exchange for the occasional afternoon at Ikea....
ianking | 7 years ago
0 likes

Spares kit: 2 tubes, Patches + rubber solution, tyre boot, short (2 links) chain section + 2 magic links,  gear cable, cable ties, 2 spokes + nipples. Contemplationg getting a spare hanger for long (more than 1 day) trips.

Tools: Leyzine multitool, tyre levers, tweezers, spoke key.  

Is this overkill?

nniff | 7 years ago
0 likes

Tubeless tyres for me, with one spare tube wrapped in cling film and then gaffa tape (with a pull tab to get it open again) - tucked in under the saddle and held in place with an elastic band.  Small handpump, one tyre lever and small, flat minitool  (Decathlon), all held together with an elastic band, in one pocket.

Belroy waterproof leather phone case/wallet - cards, cash, phone, front door key.  Used all day, every day for the past year.  In middle pocket

gonedownhill | 7 years ago
0 likes

Take a debit card and a note instead of your whole wallet and you'll be grand.

If you have bike specific insurance they usually include some sort of 'get me home' thing in event of mechanicals, although not sure if they would pay out for what is essentially a puncture.

Cycle Rescue: breakdown cover for bikes

The ETA were the first to offer a recovery service for cyclists, included at no extra charge when you take out bicycle insurance. If you are unable to complete a journey due to a crash or mechanical failure, we will pay for the transportation of you and your bike from any road in Britain, with an average response time of 39 minutes. We will take you and your cycle to a railway station, cycle repair shop, back to your car, home, or to alternative accommodation – whichever is nearer. Should you require cover in the rest of Europe, you will need our Cycle Rescue stand-alone policy.

Simon E | 7 years ago
0 likes

5 punctures in a short period, perhaps it's time for some new tyres.

I like my Lezyne mini pump with screw-on rubber hose. I've only had a valve core unscrew on me once, I think it was a Schwalbe. Nipping it up with pliers ensured it didn't happen again. I have some standard Specialized Presta tubes that appear to be a one-piece construction so you might like get some of those.

Perhaps consider adding a chain tool & quicklink and a couple of zipties to your toolkit.

if your other half ever runs out of fuel out in the countryside would you react in the same way?

FatBoyW | 7 years ago
1 like

Really!? 

Whilst 2 tubes and all that very sensible.  The real answer is one or more of:

A bunch of flowers and a weekend away/spa outing.

A bike for your partner and spend some time riding together (probably 3 tubes in this instance).

Holiday with bikes.

A card.

A bottle of prossecco.

If all of that fails - ring a taxi and go inside when you get home to obtain cards to pay the meter. This final option would also possibly involve  a new partner!

Last time it happened to me I tore the rear mech off, now I had the chain toool to be able to shorten the chain, but you know when I spoke to my wife and explained she offered  to collect me because thats what partners do. 

Finally if all else fails rule 5 and walk home.

turboprannet | 7 years ago
1 like

Would the new plastic fivers not also be an even better tyre boot than the old ones now too?

wycombewheeler replied to turboprannet | 7 years ago
7 likes
turboprannet wrote:

Would the new plastic fivers not also be an even better tyre boot than the old ones now too?

True, and waterproof to boot. Unfortunately as a rapha wearer I'm not allowed to carry anything smaller than a twenty. When are they rolling out the programme to all the notes?

madcarew replied to turboprannet | 7 years ago
0 likes

turboprannet wrote:

In NZ they do work for small tears, but race numbers do a pretty good job too.

turboprannet | 7 years ago
0 likes

LastBoyScout | 7 years ago
1 like

- I mainly use Michelin ones that don't have removable cores. Long rides = 2 tubes.

- Used to use an Aquapac case with phone, ID, credit card and cash. Unfortunately, they don't do one big enough for my new phone, so I'm back to the Sainsbury's zip-lock food bags.

- I'm not a fan of the screw-on pumps, preferring the push-on type, mainly because they are so much more fiddling around with the tube, but also have the problem you describe. That said, my new emergency pump is a Lezyne Sport Drive HP, because their Essential Sport set cost me £3 out of Halford's bargain bin. Carry that and a CO2 pump. Before those, I carried a Genuine Innovations Second Wind Road hybrid pump, which is push-on and works very well - still gets carried occasionally. They do a mini carbon version, but that seems to be as rare a hen's teeth.

- I'd hope that another friendly cyclist would take pity on me, otherwise I'd attempt to get to the nearest train station. Should be plenty of both in Surrey.

Carton | 7 years ago
0 likes

Unless you have ample time, it's best to have an emergency option before the "break glass" option. It can also save you money long term. Early last year had a bit of a crash, banged myself up pretty bad coming into town (just bruises, thankfully). Called a cab, cab cancelled on me, and out of frustration I decided to reset my shifter and change my tube there and then. Ended up both messing up the handlebar tape and busting my tyre and the tube. It would've been cheaper and less frustrating to have waited for another cab. And thank God I messed up, as the hanger was busted (nearly invisible crack), so I could've easily ended up binning my derailleur and messing up my back wheel. As well as potentially taking another spill.

My repair kit strategy seems fairly in line with pretty much every other. I also use a very small Ziploc bag (think it was the bag my speed magnet came in) as a wallet, with a little cash, an ancient school ID and an (low limit, low cost) spare credit card as a dedicated cycling "wallet". It's actually quite brilliant: it weighs nothing, costs nothing, and does a great job keeping things dry. As to spares: multi-tool, spoke key, quick link, chain breaker, spare, mini patch kit, levers, extra hanger, zip ties and pump. That all takes a fistful of room, almost filling up my small saddle bag. It could carry two tubes, but I keep the tube in it's plastic wrapper, so as not to screw up the valve or puncture the tube with my mult-tool, so I would have to squeeze things a little past what they should be squeezed. Anything that I can't fix with that, then I go to plan B. Hasn't happened again, but I think I've learnt my lesson and won't hesitate next time. Again, I reserve the "dreaded phone call" as my plan C. Just for the most serious of incidents. And so as not to worry everyone about my "dangerous cycling hobby". 

ChrisB200SX | 7 years ago
1 like

Snap-close sandwich bags, 100 for £1 in most supermarkets. Brilliant for sticking a wallet, phone, cash or whatever in and keeping water out.

keef66 | 7 years ago
1 like

I've had that with Conti tubes when I've clearly forgotten to tighten the valve cores.  And that was with a clamp-on chuck not a screw on one.  One valve core went shooting past my ear as I disconnected the track pump in the garage.  Never did find it!

Using a batch of Vittoria tubes at the moment; I don't think they have removable cores - must check....

Pump is a Lezyne with a screw on flexible hose.

The new plastic fivers now make taking cash out in the rain a lot simpler.

Park Tool emergency tyre boot saved me from having to make the call yesterday.  Second such sidewall cut; maybe retinking my tyre choice

BBB | 7 years ago
1 like

I don't understand the popularity of scew on flexible connector pumps. I've used a basic Topeak Peakini pump for ages and it always worked. You push it onto a valve pull the lever away and .... pump it up.

've had exactl the same issue that OP described with Lenzyne pump in the middle of nowhere in winter. I simply left the pump on and attached it to the spokes with a glove...

sergius replied to BBB | 7 years ago
0 likes

BBB wrote:

've had exactl the same issue that OP described with Lenzyne pump in the middle of nowhere in winter. I simply left the pump on and attached it to the spokes with a glove...

Ingenious, I should also add a couple of cable ties to my saddle bag.

Tjuice | 7 years ago
0 likes

+1 for debit card.  Into a ziplock bag in my jersey pocket, I put phone, debit card, house keys, one of my business cards (for ID in case of incident) with my wife's phone details written on there "in case of emergency"

All tools/spares/etc. go into a saddle bag (sorry velominati - this just works so much better for me), along with a tenner or two in a very small ziplok bag which stays in there permanently, so I don't have to remember it.

I have had great results from Conti GP 4 Season tyres.  Been running them for years on my winter bike and have had very few punctures.  As it happens, I have conti tubes in the tyres, and have had no issues whatsoever with the valve cores coming out (do they come out??!).  I use the small Lezyne pump (HP I think, rather than HV) with the flexible screw-on hose.

On my summer bike, I have tubular tyres (Conti Sprinter Gatorskins) and since I got them (3 summer seasons of riding the same tyres), I have not yet got a puncture.  But I don't ride that bike in the rain/on wet roads (unless the rain surprises me when I'm already out)

sergius | 7 years ago
0 likes

Thanks folks,

I think the solution for now will be:

- Carry one of the "valve core" tools I just picked up from wiggle (88p!) in my saddle bag.

- Take two spare tubes rather than one

- Put a debit card in my phone wallet from now on, and leave more than a tenner in my saddle bag.

- Work out if that little button on my Lezyne mini pump is in fact a pressure release button that's designed to prevent exactly the issue I had yesterday!

- I'm going to swap the rear tyre (it's always the rear for some reason) from a Conti GP 4000 SII to something a little harder wearing as well.

I'm still hugely pissed off about the whole thing! need to reassemble my bike one evening after work now as well.

jollygoodvelo | 7 years ago
1 like

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned it, but I always take a debit card and a couple of notes.  The notes only get used if I can't find somewhere that takes contactless. 

gthornton101 | 7 years ago
1 like

+1 for taking a 2x inner tube on longer rides, hopefully never have to use but particularly if on your own can be a real saviour.

I usually take at least a debit card and ideally a £5 or £10 note all of which are inherently waterproof so it doesn't matter if the ziploc they are in leaks a little.

The Toppeak Mini Morph has a short pull out hose which I've been using ever since I broke a valve using a direct screw on type pump a few years ago.  Works well and even has a little flip out foot plate to give you a tiny bit more leverage to acheive higher psi.

Agree with @paulrattew above - any local taxi should drop you and bike to station and take the train into London (probably quicker and certainly cheaper)

Dnnnnnn replied to gthornton101 | 7 years ago
0 likes

gthornton101 wrote:

+1 for taking a 2x inner tube on longer rides, hopefully never have to use but particularly if on your own can be a real saviour.

I usually take at least a debit card and ideally a £5 or £10 note all of which are inherently waterproof so it doesn't matter if the ziploc they are in leaks a little.

The Toppeak Mini Morph has a short pull out hose which I've been using ever since I broke a valve using a direct screw on type pump a few years ago.  Works well and even has a little flip out foot plate to give you a tiny bit more leverage to acheive higher psi.

Agree with @paulrattew above - any local taxi should drop you and bike to station and take the train into London (probably quicker and certainly cheaper)

All good advice.

I can understand why the other half wasn't pleased! I'd never leave home - for almost any reason - without a debit card and a couple of notes.

Mechanical shit is going to happen and very occasionally even the well-prepared will be caught out by duff tools or spares. Money may be the root of all evil but it's also a damn effective way to bail yourself out of various sticky situations when all else fails.

I'd also think about knocking on some local doors and asking, with my bestest apologetic smile, if I might borrow a bicycle pump - most homes will have one somewhere.

And finally - take your other half out for a good meal, or do something else to make up for it.

Pages

Latest Comments