Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

The county with the worse roads for cycling

I wonder which county has the worst roads for cycling?  This year I have visited many counties cycling, in the south of England Dorset, Wiltshire, Hampshire, Sussex, the Cotswolds; Gloucestershire, Warwickshire, Oxfordshire, Wiltshire and Worcestershire and currently the Malverns including Herefordshire.

By worst roads for cycling I do not mean those with good cycling provision i.e. cycle paths, allocated lanes etc I mean road surface badly or unrepaired potholes.

Often when one is going from county to county you pass a county sign saying “Welcome to …” and the roads improve or deteriorate remarkably and when one goes from any county into Oxfordshire the roads become dire and I thought these were the worst roads I had experienced.

This week I did a short ride which included the town of Ledbury in Herefordshire a tourist attraction whose roads cause a hazard to pedestrians and cyclists alike. I now believe that Herefordshire must have the worst roads so far, not only with potholes but road surface and incomplete or badly repaired patches, sometimes the patches have gaps between the original road surface and the repair and one is forced to ride well away from the kerb to avoid falling into the ‘tram line’ longitudinal holes.  Other road users are very understanding but inevitably you delay motorised vehicles.

Can there be any county with worse roads than Herefordshire?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

18 comments

HarryTrauts | 7 years ago
0 likes

It's interesting that many of the commenters on this thread say their local roads are the worst.  Perhaps a case of the grass being greener? I dunno.

I do most of my cycling in Gloucestershire, Oxfordshire and Wiltshire and can't say I've noticed a massive difference in any of these counties.  The roads in towns are generally worse but that's probably due to increased traffic.  All of them could be better but I've also ridden on worse.

OnTheRopes | 7 years ago
0 likes

Cheshire

Edgeley | 7 years ago
0 likes

I am in Oxfordshire.  You can tell when you cross into or out of Gloucestershire with your eyes shut - though I wouldn't recommend entering Oxfordshire with shut eyes, as you will fall into a hole almost immediately.

tritecommentbot | 7 years ago
0 likes

Edinburgh.

I've lived in London, Belfast and Manchester. Couple other small towns. Edinburgh is a horror without compare.

I can take you on tour of huge potholes, massive chunks of missing tarmac in main streets that have been that way for the best part of a decade. Yet they're always seen 'fixing' the roads.

Borders and some parts of the Highlands are amazing in comparison though. 

Always said if I get a GoPro, I'll make a video tour of Edinburgh's 'cycle paths' and roads. Just to shame the council. Though I think they're perhaps without shame.

FMOAB | 7 years ago
0 likes

What is needed is some tech savvy person to match up smartphone gps and accelerometer functions.

I don't know what county or country would come out worst, but it would be a genuine empirical base on which to lobby government/ local authorities.

jimhead | 7 years ago
0 likes

I'm in West Oxfordshire and I can confirm that the roads are shocking.

Going into Warwickshire or Gloucestershire is marginally better.

The best roads I've experienced recently were around the Isle of Wight.  It seems most of the cycle routes have been resurfaced.

part_robot | 7 years ago
1 like

Any steep section on narrow roads in Surrey or Kent. But in fairness that's probably true everywhere. 

fenix | 7 years ago
0 likes

Did a ride that went into Shropshire - some nice bits but some bloody bumpy lanes that clearly nobody uses apart from tractors and bikes. 

Lincolndave | 7 years ago
0 likes

I will say Lincolnshire, some of the pot holes even have a few metres of road

if that makes sense

HalfWheeler | 7 years ago
1 like

The roads around Central Scotland are pretty awful. But get away from the central belt and there's a marked improvement in the surfaces. The roads around Perthshire and Argyllshire aren't bad at all. Less traffic has somenthing to do with it. The closer you get to the big urban areas, and attendant traffic, the worse the roads get.

Dnnnnnn replied to HalfWheeler | 7 years ago
0 likes

HalfWheeler wrote:

The roads around Central Scotland are pretty awful. But get away from the central belt and there's a marked improvement in the surfaces. The roads around Perthshire and Argyllshire aren't bad at all. Less traffic has somenthing to do with it. The closer you get to the big urban areas, and attendant traffic, the worse the roads get.

Aberdeenshire is mostly decent too - loads of barely-trafficked country lanes.

Agreed about the central belt. There's also a climate element: west central Scotland's damper climate doesn't help. Water fills up sub-surface crevasses and hollows and then a bus... well, it's like standing on a water balloon. Buses are especially bad as they strain the edges of roads and do a lot of accelerating and braking.

Major urban and post-industrial areas will also have other things to spend money on, and may feel less political pressure to fix the roads from less vociferous and less car owning populations.

Ratfink | 7 years ago
0 likes

You notice the same thing in London crossing from one borough to another.

wycombewheeler | 7 years ago
0 likes

Got to be Buckinghamshire. It's noticably more pleasant when crossing the border to berks and I have never felt crossing into oxon gets worse either. Shame because the chiltern hills would be perfect cycling country otherwise.

Jack Osbourne snr | 7 years ago
3 likes

The roads in Scotlandshire are horrendous.

I blame Audi drivers.

Grahamd replied to Jack Osbourne snr | 7 years ago
0 likes

Jack Osbourne snr wrote:

The roads in Scotlandshire are horrendous. I blame Audi drivers.

Definitely Scotland, I recently cycled from London to Edinburgh, some challenging road surfacs but no issues until I crossed into Scotland, then 3 punctures and a torn tyre in one day!

The _Kaner replied to Jack Osbourne snr | 7 years ago
2 likes

Jack Osbourne snr wrote:

or cycleway rowers....

Jack Osbourne snr replied to The _Kaner | 7 years ago
0 likes
The _Kaner wrote:

Jack Osbourne snr wrote:

or cycleway rowers....

Nah. They're just harmless twatwombles.

amazon22 | 7 years ago
0 likes

Living in Herefordshire, I would say no, they are absolutely terrible. I hop over the border into Wales to ease the pain from time to time - now they know how to look after a major asset.

Latest Comments