Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Carbon road frame with guard mounts + room for wide tyres - Genesis Datum or...?

Hi everyone. I'm looking to replace my winter roadie with something that ticks the following boxes:

* carbon frame
* mudguard mounts
* room for wide tyres (28mm at least, with full guards fitted)

Would probably prefer a relatively race geo and disc brakes, but that isn't a deal breaker. Don't need rack mounts, but I suppose that would be a plus.

Budget is around £1,000 for frame only, or £2,000 for a full bike. (Wouldn't need fancy parts, 105 is fine or possibly even the new Tiagra, which I hear is pretty good.)

I'm going to try to get a test sorted on a Genesis Datum 10 or 20, which look great. What else should I be looking at?

One issue is that it needs to be available in a pretty large frame size - I'm 6'6 with an 87cm saddle to BB drop. I like the look of the Pearson Rule 9, for example, but the largest frame size is a 56 and that's not going to work!

Have read the Road.cc story on this subject but would appreciate some recommendations based on personal experience.

Thanks!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

wycombewheeler | 7 years ago
0 likes

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/gt-grade-carbon-105-2016/

I have one of these. I keep mudguards on it and 28mm tyres, and use it for commuting or rainy rides. But it's so close to the performance of my summer bike that even the slightest hint of rain and I take this out.

I've had 32mm knobbly tyres on at times, to surprise the mountain bikers on the off road trails.

they even have XXL in stock. But as it is more than 15% off, you can't have the wiggle 30 days test ride. I'll just say that people who have these love them.

ashfanman replied to wycombewheeler | 7 years ago
0 likes

wycombewheeler wrote:

I have one of these. I keep mudguards on it and 28mm tyres, and use it for commuting or rainy rides. But it's so close to the performance of my summer bike that even the slightest hint of rain and I take this out.

I've had 32mm knobbly tyres on at times, to surprise the mountain bikers on the off road trails.

they even have XXL in stock. But as it is more than 15% off, you can't have the wiggle 30 days test ride. I'll just say that people who have these love them.

That does look nice and very good value at that price, although it's a much more upright position than I'm used to. The XL is 627 stack and only 382 reach. I guess I could fit a super long stem.

Reading the Road.cc review, it seems lots of people have had problems with the wheels snapping spokes and going out of true. (See: http://road.cc/content/review/198305-gt-grade-carbon-ultegra) How have you found yours?

wycombewheeler replied to ashfanman | 7 years ago
0 likes
ashfanman wrote:

wycombewheeler wrote:

That does look nice and very good value at that price, although it's a much more upright position than I'm used to. The XL is 627 stack and only 382 reach. I guess I could fit a super long stem.

Reading the Road.cc review, it seems lots of people have had problems with the wheels snapping spokes and going out of true. (See: http://road.cc/content/review/198305-gt-grade-carbon-ultegra) How have you found yours?

I've had that problem with lots of factory wheels from various manufacturers. (Never shimano though) Since I put some custom wheels on hope 4 hubs on - no problem. Love the loud sound and purple colour. Not to all tastes though. If your budget is 2k you could afford the bike and new hoops.

Nit sure you will find something with eyelets AND a race position though.

ashfanman replied to wycombewheeler | 7 years ago
0 likes

wycombewheeler wrote:

Nit sure you will find something with eyelets AND a race position though.

I'm not expecting to find the same geo as my summer bike, but the Grade is very relaxed. The Datum is a bit more of a middle ground - 621 stack, 405 reach.

I just spoke to Wiggle about the wheel issue. They say they have spoken to GT's UK supplier about it and were told it's a known batch issue. Wiggle then said that the wheels aren't dangerous and won't suffer catastrophic failure. Wiggle said that they'd repair them if I do have any issues, but I'm not sure how comfortable I am with buying a bike that has a known issue with the wheels. I'd be using the bike on winter club runs and don't fancy the prospect of snapping a spoke on a fast descent...

Latest Comments