Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Tyre size

I have a GT Tachyon with Kendl KWest 700-28C at the moment. I'd like to replace these for the winter with a tyre with tread. The Schwalbe Marathon Plus Road gets a good rating on most sites and maybe that is what I will choose.
However the dilemma is the maximum tyre size I can get away with. The frame would permit 35's but I'd like to know if the rim - Shimano WH-R500 would permit 35's or should I play safe with 32.

Any alternative tyre recommendations. Thanks

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

14 comments

Johnnyvee | 7 years ago
0 likes

Used Vittoria Zaffiro pro 28mm over the last winter. No issues and dead cheap at wiggle.
It'll also depend what your local roads are like.

CXR94Di2 | 7 years ago
0 likes

If your rims will accept tubeless look at the new "Schwalbe G One Speed" (maybe a bit late for this winter) 30mm all rounder.  Having used tubeless now for a year, I have had no punctures on three bikes, one is a mtb for off road.  Just a thought

StraelGuy | 7 years ago
0 likes

I use Conti 4 Seasons religiously in winter because they're designed to stay grippy in cold condition, which they do. I wouldn't get hung up over their puncture resistance though, I've had plenty.

bluemoonday | 7 years ago
0 likes

No doubt I'll get a flat tomorrow morning but I've gone puncture free for a year and a half while riding through the middle of London most days. I've clocked more than 3500 km and all thanks to the much despised Continental Ultra Sports II 700 x 28s that came stock with my bike. I only ever read poor reviews of these tyres, most claiming sub 100 km durability and appalling puncture protection from kilometre zero. I was convinced my old hybrids Marathon Plus boots were the reason for my previous years of flat free commuting and with my hopes low, waited for my inevitable date with a rainy night roadside repair. Yet with every day and kilometre that passes underneath these Ultra Sports, I am beginning to realise that you don't need the highest available level of protection at all. It's simply not necessary. Which is great news when you consider the numerous benefits of a lighter weight tyre.

Jack Osbourne snr | 7 years ago
1 like

28mm will cut down on weight but will be less comfortable over rough surfaces. However, if you're only doing 5 miles a day, the physical difference will be negligible and the psychological difference beatable.

However 2. Unless your ride involves turning hard at speed 32mm rubber won't likely be the cause of any serious injury.

caveman38 | 7 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for all the advice guys. I will plump for the Marathon Greenguard (HS420) and save a few bob, just need to confirm tyre size.

From what I've read on other sites, the internal rim width is a little over 15mm. Using the chart (forgot what it's called) the maximum tyre size is 32mm.

Is that taking a chance and should I stick to 28's - what  have now?

mike the bike | 7 years ago
1 like

You might do worse than try Marathon Greenguards.  They are a little lighter, a little more comfortable and quite a bit cheaper than the standard Marathon.  I've had 'em and have no hesitation recommending them highly.

The tyre website bicyclerollingresistance.com reckons they are top choice for your sort of riding.

Simon E replied to mike the bike | 7 years ago
0 likes

mike the bike wrote:

You might do worse than try Marathon Greenguards.  They are a little lighter, a little more comfortable and quite a bit cheaper than the standard Marathon.  I've had 'em and have no hesitation recommending them highly.

Marathon Greenguard (HS420) is the current version of the standard Marathon tyre, using a 3mm part-latex protection layer. Older versions used kevlar or similar  for its puncture belt. It's a good all-rounder and will last ages. The Marathon Plus is seriously draggy while I've read so many complaints about Gatorskins in the wet that I'd not want them on my bike.

Spa Cycles have permanently good discounts on many Schwalbe tyres, Greenguard is currently £16 (here)!

bluemoonday replied to mike the bike | 7 years ago
0 likes
mike the bike wrote:

The tyre website bicyclerollingresistance.com reckons they are top choice for your sort of riding.

Great link! I'm a sucker for some empirical testing, in comparison to reviews based on the subjective recollection. Naively, I trust these independent test labs, while being cynically suspicious of even the most reputable review websites. But even the least prejudiced of test rider's will have subconscious bias for certain brands and manufacturers, let alone day to day variations in their mood and motivation levels.

rjfrussell | 7 years ago
0 likes

Marathon Supremes are a bit more expensive than the Marathon Plus, but much much lighter.  32 and 35 available.

Jack Osbourne snr replied to rjfrussell | 7 years ago
0 likes
rjfrussell wrote:

Marathon Supremes are a bit more expensive than the Marathon Plus, but much much lighter.  32 and 35 available.

I used to get them from bike-discount.de for nearly half price they've jumped a bit recently though.

£28 from Spa cycles in Harrogate though. I'm going to get my wallet...

kil0ran | 7 years ago
0 likes

In the Conti world the 4 Season goes up to 28, and you can get Gatorskins in 32. I run those for commuting on my CX bike - excellent puncture resistance and the extra volume will help deaden the impact of the road surface. Not particularly exciting to ride but look good. 4Seasons are a bit faster but not sure its worth paying the premium, and they're not available in a 32.

caveman38 | 7 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the info. I shall take your adcice on size and search out a deal for your alternave tyre choice.

I use the bike for 5 miles a day locally, but in London suburbs that are shocking state.

Thanks again.

Jack Osbourne snr | 7 years ago
0 likes

That rim is a shade under 21mm wide externally, so mid range in width for road specific wheels.

Shimano state 28mm tyre max, but you should be able to run 32mm without issue. Don't go as far as 35mm though as you'll end up with a giant squishy lightbulb shaped tyre and quite probably some serious handling problems - particularly in turns.
As for tyre choice, the marathon plus is a great tyre for puncture resistance and longevity but it's about as dull as you get in terms of road feel and handling. It also weighs a ton.

I've used marathon supremes in 32mm for commuting and they're excellent. If you look at the German websites you can get them for much less than anywhere in the UK.

Coincidentally, I built up a flat bar Kaffenback this weekend and went shopping in town today. I'd fitted a used pair of supremes and at about 75psi they were both fast and comfy.

The Schwalbe Durano is also available in 32mm and has both good puncture resistance and handling. I've used the 25 and 28mm versions as winter "training" tyres for years.

If you're looking for high levels of puncture resistance there's also the Panasonic Ribmo. However, the Ribmo is as dull and lifeless as the Marathon plus.

If you tell us what style of riding you plan to do, I'm sure the group can generate loads of options!

Latest Comments