Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Velofarce 2017

Today I received several emails about the Velo Birmingham. The online entry opened then the website crashed, they apologised then reopened. I can imagine the frustration of anyone trying to enter the event. Luckily I had already found out the price thanks to road.cc posters. I decided it wasn't for me, given the price, location (travel and accom costs) and time of year [Still in London ballot again!!!]

I had signed up for their pre-notification, then pre-registered, all without knowing the price. They seemed to be stoking up the premium nature of this closed road event to drum up interest, saying it was 'exclusive' pre-registration to give you the best chance to gain a place. They stressed the limited nature of the entries to get everyone to cough up or loose their chance. Then when 8am comes and 15,000+ people all try to use the webshite at once it crashes. Well done organisers. One word comes to mind; inevitable.

I am sure the event will be fine on the day, and closed roads are a wonder, especially if you are local and don't need to travel. But yeah, this was a mess. London, Cardiff, Loch Ness, Cambridge events all manage this without the fanfare and failure.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

Woodsman | 7 years ago
0 likes

Sold out......I for one am looking forward to it. 

keirik | 7 years ago
1 like

Just received an email to say they only have a few fast track places left and normal places are "going fast"

So 30000 pre registered for 15000 places and its not full yet.

Seems to me they may have problems. I do hope so

A2thaJ replied to keirik | 7 years ago
0 likes

keirik wrote:

Just received an email to say they only have a few fast track places left and normal places are "going fast" So 30000 pre registered for 15000 places and its not full yet. Seems to me they may have problems. I do hope so

Why do you hope they have problems? I preregistered but am not signing up because of the price... but that doesnt mean i want people to not enjoy a sunday ride in birmingham.

pablo | 7 years ago
1 like

I didn't book and it's on my doorstep great having a closed road event but not at that price. A few other people I ride with were going to but didn't when they saw the price.  Plenty of other more challenging rides in the UK with support if that's your thing.  

700c | 7 years ago
1 like

I'm with you on this one. All the hype beforehand and keeping the price secret till the last minute, in the hope that the 'lucky' few won't bat an eyelid by that point and just pay up.

As for 'admin' charges on top..!!

Very cynical.

Daveyraveygravey | 7 years ago
2 likes

I wasn't that interested in the event before I knew the cost.  The route doesn't have much appeal and ok closed roads are fantastic, but the price is just too much.  People moan about the cost of Ridelondon, but at least there you get truly iconic landmarks, and the last bit from Embankment on is just epic.  £120 would get you into one of the big European events  and cover your meals, if not accomadation and fuel whilst away.

Jimmy Ray Will | 7 years ago
0 likes

I think the website crash was very poor planning... but the price... well its the price isn't it?

I think this is the way that sportives are going to have to go.

In a few years there will be a reasonable, but still limited number of these 'premium' events taking place on fully closed roads.

The standard sportive so prevalent today will drop away as the restrictions / responsibilities placed on organisers force them to push their prices up. 

Consistently paying over £30 for a glorified club run has only limited appeal... people will move to doing far less, but far more aspirational events such as this. 

HarryTrauts | 7 years ago
0 likes

I agree.  It's not got off to the best start.  The site opened up again yesterday evening.

I had a look but wasn't really interested as the price is pretty steep.  Once on the site it says there is a further £5 admin charge!  Now I'm definitely not interested.  

Good Luck to them, though.

Latest Comments