Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Split in michelin tyre

Ive had this tyre on since about june 16 bought in Nov 15. Today went out for a couple of hours. Inflation pressure 90psi (and the max I go to is 100psi). Got home and was checking bike over and noticed a big split which runs along the seam. Could have given me quite a problem at 60 odd kph. Has anyond seen anything like this before? Its a michelin pro 4 service course.
Some photos here...
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/465xxglsn1ptlrc/AADA4hrFO521MVmquIoecOKKa?dl=0

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

andsaw | 7 years ago
0 likes

I saw someone with a lithion 2 with the same from chain reaction and it was supposedly old stock that was down to storage conditions as well, dont quote me the whole truth, but im sure thats what i read, and it wasnt all that long ago, dont know how they can claim wear and tear as you would expect wear and tear would be more prominent on the part that contacts the road rather than the side. I have a lithion 2 thats a few years old and has slight cracking in the same position but this has gone through all seasons and is expected wear and tear but nothing like whats in the above pics.

drpau | 7 years ago
0 likes

Yeah this appears to be poor manufacturing, its separated precisely on the seam and its on both sides of the tyre separating in several areas around the circumference, the 'glue' on this interface is tacky. Had another close look to make sure that when the brakes are applied that there is no possible contact between brake block and brake block holder. The distance is far too much for this to be the cause . Shame as the pro4 I had on the back before this one was a real survivor!

gazza_d | 7 years ago
0 likes

Just had a similar experience with a Schwalbe Kojak tyre splitting it's sidewall after about 230 miles. the wheel it was on is a coaster brake, so rim brakes cannot be blamed.

The Marathon that I replaced with the Kojak is back on, and that's not shown any issues.

Schwalbe on twitter reckoned it was down to the tyre being incorrectly fitted, but that's the first tyre that's done that to me in 30 years of cycling.

dottigirl | 7 years ago
0 likes

Most split sidewalls I've seen have been due to brake blocks rubbing (even when their owners swear it not to be the case), or riding over something sharp enough to penetrate. There may be the odd dodgy batch though, so it's worth contacting the supplier if there's no other obvious cause.

I've found the rubbing happens a lot on smaller frames where the brake drop doesn't seem to be long enough. On one of my bikes, I have to keep the corner of one block cut or filed off, otherwise it rubs all the time. (Have had countless mechanics look at it, and their only solution was to suggest filing down the slit.)

Stef Marazzi | 7 years ago
0 likes

Rubbish isnt it - I've had a few mates had Continental GP4000 split down the sidewall in just a few hundred miles, when you would expect several few thousand. They put it down to "wear and tear" which is a joke.

drpau | 7 years ago
0 likes

Yeah thats the endurance rather than the 'service course'. Slightly different tyre so I assume construction and look of sidewall slightly different, with the SC being the lighter variant Im assuming the rubber layer is less thick hence the look- the but you mention looks like its kind of been pressed together- definately not canvas showing. Rubbing was first thing I checked for and theres too much clearance for it to be from the brake block or housing.
I fired off an email to Michelin anyway this morning. I would have expected more from them if they do get back Ill repost. It shows its always wise to check before and after a ride.

Ronald | 7 years ago
0 likes

Very hard to judge, but I see some of the canvas showing beyond where the tyre has split. Are you sure your brake pads are not rubbing the tyre? The canvas doesn't show in this picture: https://coresites-cdn.factorymedia.com/rcuk/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/5...

Lincolndave | 7 years ago
0 likes

No I have not on a Michelin tyre but I have on a continental gp i had it on a rear tyre, I only noticed mine when I was washing my bike down , I have seen a few complaints about tyre wall splitting on other forums but the tyre companies are not interested , just wear and tear according to their experts

Latest Comments